Anyone else here enjoy Absinthe?

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my first taste years ago and now it's become one of the expensive hobbies of mine. Currently half way through a bottle of Jade PF 1901. Nothing quite like it, hard to describe, almost like a sweet powdery liquid.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had it. Are you having the real stuff or the altered variety?

http://www.absinth.bz/articles/absinth-legal.html

Apparently if you buy it in the USA, it's altered to remove a crucial herb during the process because it's considered a controlled substance in the USA.

Is absinth legal in the US?

Ah, this is an interesting issue. You can go to your local liquor store and buy a bottle, so at first hand you might think absinth is legal in the US. But there is a catch, read the label and its ingredients, look for thujone, the active ingredient in absinth, it will not be there or will be highly diluted. Many producers have simply taken out the controversial herb and continued to sell their product. Many consumers simply order the thujone rich bottles from other countries and even if customs may retain the shipment, people report this is not practiced and that the case arrives safely at home. Because although absinth is legal in the US, thujone is strictly controled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Never had it. Are you having the real stuff or the altered variety?

http://www.absinth.bz/articles/absinth-legal.html

Apparently if you buy it in the USA, it's altered to remove a crucial herb during the process because it's considered a controlled substance in the USA.
Jade PF 1901 one of the most highly regarded absinthes and won the silver medal award at the international wine and spirit competition last year. Has a full measure of grand wormwood, as well as the other necessary herbs like fennel, anise, hyssop, melissa, etc.

The thujone content is something that the poorest quality absinthes flaunt and exaggerate to try and market their products to the people looking for a "trip". Tastes quite horrible, it doesn't louche when you add the ice water, and some people try to take shots of the stuff, or try to set their absinthe on fire trying to do a Moulin Rouge (please don't ruin your expensive absinthe by setting it on fire).

Historically accurate absinthe has less thujone content than your grandma's sage stuffing, and more than meet the US FDA's requirements for thujone content. So absinthe won't turn you in to a raving homicidal lunatic. Well good absinthe won't, I can't speak for the bad stuff.

I think you can get Lucid absinthe in Walmarts now, and is made by the same people that make Jade absinthes. Some states though you can't get alcohol over 80 proof unless it's a state run liquor store (like Ohio).

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I'm sure that stuffs illegal in the UK?
Actually I order my absinthe from the UK. Place called "Liqueurs de France".

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to try absinthe - can you describe the taste? Minty? Woody? what?

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I would love to try absinthe - can you describe the taste? Minty? Woody? what?
It's somewhat difficult to describe. The main note is anise (similar to licorice but not as overwhelming). Initially it's just powdery and sweet, very herbal, sort of like baby powder, and then the anise and fennel kick in. In the background there's a slight bitterness from the wormwood. Finishes with a touch of a spicy bite, and if you haven't diluted it very much your tongue gets slightly numb.

If you ever had those white anise hard candies that come in those pocket sized tins, it's similar to that, but more complex. It kind of fills your lungs with cool air.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

It's somewhat difficult to describe. The main note is anise (similar to licorice but not as overwhelming). Initially it's just powdery and sweet, very herbal, sort of like baby powder, and then the anise and fennel kick in. In the background there's a slight bitterness from the wormwood. Finishes with a touch of a spicy bite, and if you haven't diluted it very much your tongue gets slightly numb.

If you ever had those white anise hard candies that come in those pocket sized tins, it's similar to that, but more complex. It kind of fills your lungs with cool air.
One day I will have to try it. Thanks for that - I always wondered how what absinthe would taste like.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this is interesting. I'd always heard that the reason absinthe was illegal in so many places is that it's actually poisonous (though certainly that hasn't put the cigarette companies out of business). Is that not the case?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to try some absinthe. Never had it before but have heard people talk about it.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Well, this is interesting. I'd always heard that the reason absinthe was illegal in so many places is that it's actually poisonous (though certainly that hasn't put the cigarette companies out of business). Is that not the case?
That's what brought about the trouble a hundred years ago. Cheaply made absinthe had copper sulfate or antimony chloride in it to make the green color more... well green. Copper sulfate and antimony chloride are also quite poisonous. Wormwood is mildly poisonous, but I think you have to either consume a ridiculous quantity of it or swallow some purified oil to show any affect. Wormwood teas are apparently effective in killing off stomach worms

Vermouth is another drink that has wormwood as a main ingredient, but no one bats an eye at it. The german word for Vermouth, Wermut, translates to wormwood.

Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

Is absinthe what they were drinking in the movie MOULIN ROUGE?
Haha, yes, but... I think Bram Stoker's Dracula had a more accurate representation of how you should drink it. High proof alcohol and fire don't mix too well.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is from the FAQ at http://www.originalabsinthe.com:
Will strong Absinthe make me high (hallucinate, etc.)?
Quality absinthe, properly distilled, does have a different effect over and above the results of alcohol, though at up to 70%, the effects of the alcohol alone can be considerable. Absinthe's effects, despite popular conception, are not due to the wormwood alone. Absinthe's constituents consist of a very delicate balance of various herbs, most of which contribute in one way or another to its intoxicating effects. It is a push-me, pull-you effect of the various herbs, as some are of an heightening effect, and others are lowering. The effect on the individual is subjective, and can best be described as a kind of heightened clarity of mind and vision, mildly ponderous and sparkling, and warmed by the effect of the alcohol. This seems to wear off after 20 or 30 minutes, leaving one with an alcohol buzz. 2-3 glasses of absinthe seems to do the trick. More than that, depending on the proof of the alcohol, absinthe will just make you very drunk.
I haven't tried it myself, but then again I don't usually like alcohol taste.