New member from NE Georgia

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks!
I'm a new member from Athens, Georgia. Retired recently and almost overnight I've become a first-time two-cat household.

One is a 6mo calico female who was about 12 wks old when I found her living in a hollow log behind our house in September. She was so wild I think she must have been born there. Never found the mama.

The other is a 2.5yo tabby that was abandoned near my mother's farm 2 years ago. She just isn't cut out to be a barncat. There are hawks and coyotes out there, and I worried about her all the time. Since I was going to keep the little one in the house anyway, one more cat wouldn't hurt, right?

So far both cats get along really well and the barn cat loves being indoor only. The little one was spayed 2 weeks ago and never slowed down.

They are both just mutts.

Nancy

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Nancy, welcome to you and your girls. What a wonderful thing you did for those kitty cats. I hope you have a camera because we love to see pics. What are your girls names?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & welcome to tcs. Your so lucky they get on, have they always been friendly? what did you do to introduce them? And pics are a must.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is named Peanut and the older cat is nicknamed Backup (she really needs a better name).

Here is Peanut about a week after I brought her inside:

This is Backup when she was still a barn cat:

This one was taken about a week after they were both made house cats. The little one has since nearly doubled in size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kalikat

... Your so lucky they get on, have they always been friendly? what did you do to introduce them? ...
It took me three weeks of extreme patience to catch the kitten. And when I finally caught her, well, there was blood all over (mine) and I still have a hole in my thumbnail where she bit through it. But once I had her in the house she was acting like a normal cat within a week.

Then I brought the older cat inside and put her in the guest bath for one night. She howled every time she heard me moving around the house, and the howling scared the kitten so much she would hide, and I was afraid all the progress we'd made would be lost if this kept on. So I put Backup in a carrier and showed her to Peanut. They just looked at each other through the grate, so I let her out. A couple of hisses and that was it. They were grooming each other and sleeping together that night.

I think it was much easier introducing them because one was a kitten, and because both cats were essentially new to the house, so neither had staked out territory yet.

That's probably more than you wanted to know. But it was quite a new experience for me.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Nancy, Peanut and Backup,

Thank you for opening your home and heart to your adorable sweetie pies.

As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, click on my username, send a Private Message, I will do what I can to help.
Please make yourself at home.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very interesting story!

That first photo of Peanut needs to be on icanhascheezburger.com. A caption of, oh, maybe...

I'll call you when I need you!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)
what a cutie pies my friend!...
lovely pic´s!..
thank you so much for share with us!...

See you on the forums!