Vaccinations right before spaying

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hello,
I was curious if anyone has gotten thier babies rabies vaccinated (purevax) and 3 days later spayed/nuetered? i read that you should let the vax get into thier immune system before having anything done to lower it. actually i was searching for this info and the Purina website said to wait 3-4 weeks before spay/nueter. right now my vet is closed but i will be calling them before the surgery which is scheduled for tuesday, they got thier rabies vax today. thanks everyone

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The breeder told me cleo got her rabies shot the same day she was fixed which was Nov 20th.
Yoshi had the distemper shot the same day he was fixed also.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the vets in the clinic I use will give rabies vaccination without any other vaccine or procedure that day. He will wait a week before any other vaccine or procedure. Other vets in that clinic will vaccinate and spay on the same day. With the ferals we have no choice. Rabies is given at time of spay/neuter.

I have not read any articles relating to this but am interested in what the best approach may be.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats were spayed/neutered, vaccinated and chipped on the same day.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of my vets Holistic and Western won't do Rabies and anything else at the same time, they say it is too hard on thier systems. Many do but I won't.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twokatz

All of my vets Holistic and Western won't do Rabies and anything else at the same time, they say it is too hard on thier systems. Many do but I won't.
Same.

I prefer not to give combo shots because it really puts stress on their immune system. I always allow at least a few weeks for them to recuperate before giving more injections, especially the rabies shot. And in between, I always make sure to give them things to boost the immune system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they only got thier rabies yesterday, i wont do mutipule vax's. although i dont know if the FVCRP is a mutipule i know its a single sshot but its a combo. they are on L-lysine to keep thier immune systems in tip top shape, i was concerned if tuesday 3days after the rabies vax was too soon for spay nueter.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no say what Cleo got because the breeder decides.
She only got Rabies the day she was fixed.
He said she is up to date on the other shots.
She will never get a leukemia shot.
It is in the contract not to get that shot.
Coco and Meeko used to get it but not anymore.