I'm officially engaged!!

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, here I was back in June, talking about what kind of engagement ring I wanted.

Yesterday morning, we finally made it official!

Here's the ring! (Even though that's Facebook, I set the privacy settings so anyone should be able to see it, even if they're not a member- let me know if you have problems!)

I have a 4-day work week, so I don't work Fridays. Thursday night, I fell asleep on the couch (my Thursday night ritual, since I'm a night owl and stay up late any chance I can get). At 3AM, I woke up and was watching a little TV. He came out of the bedroom and said, "you should come to bed"...after a little coaxing I did. I figured he was just having trouble sleeping without me in bed. We both fell asleep. I woke up around 8:15 and he wasn't there, so I figured he'd gone to work (I sleep with ear plugs in, so I usually don't hear his alarm go off) I fell back asleep. Around 8:45, he's jostling me to wake up, and he was holding Albus. I'm thinking, "what the heck?" and I pull out the ear plugs.

He's got a piece of paper in his hand, and he says, "I've got a big speech and I'd forget it if I didn't write it down, so here it goes.

When you knew that The Ramones were the godfathers of punk and not a Spanish flamenco band; that the Coen Brothers were filmmakers and not that legal team that plays their commercials at two in the morning; and that Fawlty Towers was a TV series and not that cute bed & breakfast down the road, that's when I knew you were the one for me.

You're one of the most thoughtful and compassionate people I've ever met. You've taught me to take part in things I care about and believe in. You've helped me be brave when I've wanted to run and hide. And you've shown me the world can be a great place if you're willing to give it a chance. You're my best friend. I can't imagine my life without you and I want to be with you for the rest of the adventure.

Besides if I don't ask you soon, Albus is totally gonna make a move [Albus is *very* affectionate and we always joke that he's got a thing for me :p] Albus is cuter but I've got opposable thumbs and a job, so will you do me the honor of marrying me?"

I said yes, of course, and the ring was in a little drawstring bag around Albus' collar.

Then he made me get out of bed- he'd gotten up at 6:00 to get everything ready and had gone to our favorite breakfast restaurant and gotten pancakes for us. Then we spent the rest of the morning watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off (one of our favorite movies, and appropriate since he'd taken the day off work). After that, we stopped at a friend's house (she's an aspiring photographer, so has a nice camera and took those pictures), then my parents' house and then my grandparents' house.

Then we went to dinner, a well-known sushi place that neither of us had been to. It was soooo good! It's in my sister's neighborhood, so afterwards, we picked her up and went to a coffee/sandwich place and had dessert. Then drove waaaaaay out to his parents' house....it was an exhausting day.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, congratulations! What a sweet proposal that was! Now you get to join the ranks of the rest of us crazies who are trying to plan a wedding!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats

That was such a sweet way to wake up. If DH had done that to me I probably would have said "you woke me up for that? Are you nuts?" I am a bit mean untill I get my coffee. Good thing he knows that.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lovely thing to do!!

And the ring is a beauty! Is it a blue topaz??

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Your ring is very pretty! What a super-sweet proposal.
It all sounds so tasty too!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful proposal!!!! I love the part where he put the ring in a drawstring bag on Albus's collar!!

Congratulations!!!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Your ring is beautiful.
My fiance tried to put my ring on Gus's collar, but he said Gus kept running away with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

What a lovely thing to do!!

And the ring is a beauty! Is it a blue topaz??
Nope, it's aquamarine.

Thanks everyone! Now comes the hard part- picking the date and the venue!