Question about Ultrasounds.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out Thursday night via mail that I'm scheduled for an ultrasound for my gallbladder first thing Monday morning. The instructions say nothing to eat or drink after midnight (ok, that part I understand) but it also says a "fat free diet the day before". Ok, so I know that means no Big Macs or bacon on Sunday, but how strict is that? The only think I have in the house that is fat free (that I know of) is a bottle of salad dressing. So, what can I eat? I've always just tried to eat healthy but never really paid a lot of attention to fat contents.

The doctor's office was closed Friday so I couldn't call and ask. Any advice?

Also, what exactly does an ultrasound involve?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Veggies, fruits, breads, Pasta, cereal are fine.

Meats, and dairy anything that comes from a animal by-product source, also oils or foods cooks in oils i.e. anything fried, or processed products all have higher fat contents.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The U/S should be painless as long as you don't have pain or a full bladder.
They just put cold jelly on your skin and use a wand to scan. Sometimes they have to add pressure but it really isn't painful.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An ultrasound is no big deal, promise
. I've been averaging about one a year lately. You may feel a some discomfort as they push around trying to get a good picture, but the worst of it is pretty much trying to get the gel (that they put on you to slide the ultrasound wand around on-think ky, lol) off of your stomach before you pull your shirt back down. I hope you get some answers from your tests. Good luck

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

They just put cold jelly on your skin and use a wand to scan.
That's strange. I've never had them use a cold gel, it's always been prewarmed - though it does cool somewhat quickly. And I've always had my pants and shirt covered by towels, then I was thoroughly wiped off when they're done. I think some of you have techs that are slacking...

Just a tip. No salad. If your gallbladder is bothering you a salad isn't a good idea as it tends set off attacks in a lot of people. You may also want to stay away from beef and pork for a bit. Low fat is anything having less than 3 grams of fat, I think fat free is .5 grams or less. If you have any canned soups, check their fat content. Tomato soup is fat free, and the Lipton noodle soup has 1.5g (iirc). Something like baked skinless chicken and a baked potato would be ok - but you couldn't put much on the potato.

Since you don't seem to be familiar with what is considered low and no fat, my guess is that they may very well find a problem with your gallbladder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Veggies, fruits, breads, Pasta, cereal are fine.

Meats, and dairy anything that comes from a animal by-product source, also oils or foods cooks in oils i.e. anything fried, or processed products all have higher fat contents.
Ok, so my meals on Sunday will be salads with fat free dressing and plain bread. Great. I guess the pot roast is out of the question...

Thanks guys. I'm not really worried about it, but I'm always nervous about a procedure I haven't had done before. I went for years without having anything wrong, and now it just seems like everything is falling apart at once. I've seen more doctors in the last 6 months than I have my entire life. I found out my thyroid is out of wack but still haven't gotten those results back. I just hope they can find whats wrong and get me back to normal. I hate feeling tired and sick all the time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I found out my thyroid is out of wack but still haven't gotten those results back.
How long have you been waiting on the results? If more then a couple weeks, demand copies and go to another doctor. Thyroid problems can cause serious damage elsewhere if left untreated.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's strange. I've never had them use a cold gel, it's always been prewarmed - though it does cool somewhat quickly. And I've always had my pants and shirt covered by towels, then I was thoroughly wiped off when they're done. I think some of you have techs that are slacking...

Just a tip. No salad. If your gallbladder is bothering you a salad isn't a good idea as it tends set off attacks in a lot of people. You may also want to stay away from beef and pork for a bit. Low fat is anything having less than 3 grams of fat, I think fat free is .5 grams or less. If you have any canned soups, check their fat content. Tomato soup is fat free, and the Lipton noodle soup has 1.5g (iirc). Something like baked skinless chicken and a baked potato would be ok - but you couldn't put much on the potato.

Since you don't seem to be familiar with what is considered low and no fat, my guess is that they may very well find a problem with your gallbladder.
When I had my first U/S in 1998 they didn't warm the jelly. Out of my 5 U/S this year only one was cold. I rather prepare someone for the cold shock just in case.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first one was in 2000, but the little hospital here in town is really nice - or at least their nursing and tech staff are. The gel's always warm in the physical therapy section, too. If the bottle warmer breaks (had that happen while there) they'll even make sure to soak the gel bottles in hot water rather than use it cold! So it must be one of those things they consider a necessary amenity for the patient.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How long have you been waiting on the results? If more then a couple weeks, demand copies and go to another doctor. Thyroid problems can cause serious damage elsewhere if left untreated.
It's only been a little over a week and the lab that did the tests is sending me a copy of the results that I should be getting in a few days. The doctor was more concerned with my gallbladder (because of gagging, dry heaves, etc) than my thyroid so those tests were scheculed first, but this round of thyroid tests were more indepth than the first ones. So, hopefully I will have some info next week.

Thanks for letting me know at least I can have chicken or soup (checking the fat content of course)....how about fish? I have a hard time eating beef or chicken now for some reason. This has only started in the last 6 months, but fish I can usually get down. Now I'm surviving on mashed potates and grilled cheese but soup I can handle. Is chicken noodle soup ok if it is less than 3 grams? How about crackers with it? (I know...really stupid questions but I just don't want to mess the test up).

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Thanks for letting me know at least I can have chicken or soup (checking the fat content of course)....how about fish? I have a hard time eating beef or chicken now for some reason. This has only started in the last 6 months, but fish I can usually get down. Now I'm surviving on mashed potates and grilled cheese but soup I can handle. Is chicken noodle soup ok if it is less than 3 grams? How about crackers with it? (I know...really stupid questions but I just don't want to mess the test up).
Fish should be okay it is very low in fat. If it is your gallbladder eating anything high in fat will make you feel quite ill. Chicken noodle should be okay but nothing creamed.
It certainly does sound like your gallbladder is the problem. My oldest neice had to have hers removed two years ago, and she's had been having the same symptoms that you have mentioned. She has since fully recovered and can pretty much eat anything she wants without any trouble.
There are several treatments that they will try if that's what it is so hopefully they will be able to figure it out and help you. Feeling ill all the time is not good..
Here's hoping things go well

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fish would be fine.
I think crackers are 1.5g of fat per serving? So if the soup is low enough you should be fine with a few crackers.

The reason your doc may be focused on your gallbladder is because it can cause problems with your liver if it is inflamed or a stone is lodged - it's also easier to fix (sort of). Sometimes thyroid tests can be affected by bad infections, so if anything else looked weird on blood tests that may be why the thyroid issues are being put aside for the moment.

I'm surprised you're able to handle grilled cheese. When my gallbladder and GI was(is) acting up, that didn't settle so well for me. Tomato soup was always what I would eat. Generally at that point I had diarrhea so the sodium and potassium in it was good, as well.
Just a little warning. If you do have to have your gallbladder removed, it may not fix all your digestive problems. While it's been less than a couple months for me, the foods I can tolerate are the same ones I ate before the surgery - meaning, fat is still a problem. Though, I can at least eat eggs now.

I still have food triggered diarrhea, GERD, stomach pain, and (this doesn't make much sense) right side pain where my gallbladder was after eating fast food yesterday.

The gagging and dry heaves sounds a bit odd. I don't see too many mention this as a symptom and I certainly never had it (unless very nauseous and vomiting - generally from something else). Have they considered an endoscopy to see if anything is going on in your esophagus? It's not uncommon for gallbladder issues to cause problems with GERD, and GERD can cause those symptoms in some people.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An ultrasound is cool if you are able to see the screen..I had one done on my heart a little over a week ago & was able to watch the valves opening & closing. I had to lay on my side & on my back & the jelly was warmed-they dimmed the light in the room, not sure if that was for my privacy or what, but it was not uncomfortable at all & actually pretty interesting!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have they considered an endoscopy to see if anything is going on in your esophagus? It's not uncommon for gallbladder issues to cause problems with GERD, and GERD can cause those symptoms in some people.
Not yet. My primary physican scheduled the ultrasound and then I go to see a Gastrologist Dec 4th. I guess he's going to evaluate me and order any further tests if they're needed. I just hope they can get to the bottom of it fast.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the instructions say "no fat" or "low fat"? If it's "no fat", then that means no meat, fish, breads (unless fat free), salad dressings, etc. You can have fruits and vegetables, fat free breads or crackers, etc.