Cats and Collars

mike_sk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is an indoor guy but I decided that just in case he gets out he should wear a collar with his license and contact info on it. He's also pretty small and new to the place so he wears a bell. Does anyone else put a collar on their indoor cat?

My childhood cats wore/wear collars but they were indoor/outdoor guys (town of 700 people). Am I being weird about this?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
all 5 of mine have collars... Pixel doesn't wear hers, tho, because it causes her issues [i think due to her herpes] but she NEVER tries to go out. the others usually don't try, either, but since all 4 of them have been strays before i adopted them, i thought it was best to have them. i got their collars here: Ragtime Collars, & they have tags from here: Boomerang Tags, that have their names, my phone numbers, & a message on them that reads, "if you see me outside, i am lost: reward".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mike_sk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats good to hear. My guy just wears a collar with his license and a tag with his name and my numbers on it. I guess his rabies tag will go on it when he gets vaccinated in December too. Glad I'm not being paranoid here.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two both wear collars and tags.... Just their name and my phone number. They're both indoor only, and it's for just in case they get out, which we're very careful about. Unlike microchipping it's a clear and visible signal that they have humans and a home. We're going to get them chipped as well...

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

have their names, my phone numbers, & a message on them that reads, "if you see me outside, i am lost: reward".
Mackerel's inside only an she wears a collar and a tag. Some people around here kill cats they see outside without a collar- they assume they're ferals. I hadn't thought of putting the fact that she was an indoors cat on the tag, though! I might get another tag and put that on her collar as well.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My past indoor cats all wore collars with tags that had their name and our phone number on the front and "if I'm outside I'm lost" on the back.

My current cats don't wear collars but they are all microchipped.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
3 of my cats wear collars.

Paris-She is blind. She has a collar with tags, and a bell. She has gotten out before. Its terrifying!!

And then London and Gregory just happened to keep theirs on. lol. My cats always manage to get them off, so why bother?

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would think that putting a collar on a cat is fine as long as it is a collar that is made for cats that will tear off if it gets snaged on something

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are totally INDOOR guys; they hate the thought of sticking even a paw outside. They refuse to wear a collar at all. Both are 8 years old.

No collars for them!

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a black safety collar for my new, indoor-only cat and ordered a name tag. He might not like wearing it but I'm not taking the chance since he isn't chipped. My other cats never wore collars but they were indoor and outdoor but never went farther than the surrounding yards.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley is chipped and wears a collar (with a tag that reads he is an indoor only and if outside is lost, and has our cell numbers)--he has the personality of which if he got out unless he was collared I don't know if people would think of him as a housecat.

Jack often wears a collar--always when we have company (incase they aren't as careful at the door). But if he were to get out, I think he'd make it as far as the next door neighbors before he went to the door and waited to be let in--he doesn't like it outside. His fur also almost always mats from his collar. I need to get him chipped--but money is an issue right now. He's not a door runner either.

Leslie

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have indoor cats as well, Sassy does wear a collar but both Linus and Pixie don't like to have anything around their necks. However I have all 3 of mine microchipped.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My three don't. I live on the thrid floor of a secured building people have to get buzzed into. So if they run out I have time to catch them before they get into the great outdoors.

I do put it on when we go to the vet or I have company coming and going, just in case. They are fine having them on I just hate cuddling a kitty with a collar.

I am secretly glad I live where I do so they don't have to have one on all the time. Because if my circumstances were different I WOULD have a collar on them. It's just too dangerous not too.

I cringe when I think how my first cat when I was a kid never wore one and was outdoors alot. Anything could have happened.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hennessy wears his without complaint and he's an indoor only kitty. The bell keeps me from tripping over him. And he likes to try to get outside, so it keeps me calm.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have collars and tags with their name, phone number, and license. Their rabies tags are huge so I leave those off. Anyway, they don't usually wear them. They are indoor-only. My SO takes them off all the time, it drives me nuts. He thinks they aren't necessary and I just want to smack him (obviously I am joking, but it's frustrating). The cats are both micro-chipped, but not everyone knows about micro-chipping.

They've never had an escape incident, but it's obviously a possibility.

Even though they are both safety collars, Mattie tries to take hers off with her teeth if I don't have it on tight enough. Once she was stuck with her jaw open on the collar and it freaked me out. I'm paranoid about making sure they are tight enough now.

They always wear their collars when we go to the vet.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats always wear collars, for the same reason...just in case they get out. I only put a tag on it with their name, our address and phone number. I don't put their license or rabies tag on it. All of our cats are indoor only.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are inside only and are chipped, but they both wear safety collars with tags with name and phone number, just in case they get out. My boy likes to dash at doors, including the patio door.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky has a collar with a tag with her name and my cell phone - I took the bell off, as it annoyed her too much. She is an inside only cat, and only goes out in my lap to visit the neighbor

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure it is a cat collar. You might want to have your cat microchipped.