Is there anything I can do?

scampersmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love my two cats... they each have their own quirks, though I'll admit I'm partial to my Scamper (as you can tell by my username) Anyway, my question is about the fact that Annie (my other cat) is always so mean to my sweet Scampie (nicknamed - Angel Bear)! Scamper is the most sweet and loving kitty anyone has ever known (even the people at the vet say that!), and Annie is... well... my best friend calls Annie the devil, but she's beginning to crawl in laps and curl up (mostly beside my mom).

Annie tends to chase Scamper all over the house, and they usually wind up in our basement (where the computers are) and I'll hear the pitter-patter of feet coming down the stairs, followed by a tussle-type sound, and then massive hissing. When Annie isn't chasing Scamper, they're having a Mexican Stand off... just glaring at each other... and Scamper if deathly afraid of Annie! If she even sees Annie, she backs up and runs the other way!

Is there ANYTHING I can do to help them get along? Or is this a lost cause?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure their ages or how long you have had them, or if they are spayed/neutered.....But in general it sounds that Annie is aggressive dominant and poor Scamper is a pacifist. You should definitely keep an eye on them and discourage any aggressive behavior Annie has towards Scamper. Also giving Annie more attention especially in front of or after she is aggressive towards Scamper only encourages her possessive/dominant behavior. In this way some kitties can be very much like dogs, or other closely bonded to humans pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scampersmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I've had Scamper for almost 8 years and Annie came to us as a stray about 3 or 4 years ago... they are both spayed and Scamp is maybe 2 or 3 years older. Whenever Annie chases Scamper, I always run Annie off... it just makes me mad that Annie is so mean to my sweet angel

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats simply do not like each other - no matter what you do. Think of it as two siblings who don't like each other.

Can you create "Annie safe zone" & "Scamper safe zone"?

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if you can do more than you are. Definately don't give attention for "bad" behavior. My Lilly-Rose has decided that Toby (the baby) is the one to attack. She waits until he is minding his own business and goes up to him and smacks him. She used to do this to Tweety, now she has Toby. Since it's usually right in front of me, I give her a squirt and make her go upstairs. She's getting a little better.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried using a Feliway plug in, or putting Rescue Remedy in their water? It may help calm them down.

nil4664

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your mom how they act together when you're not home. Maybe Annie wants your attention. Whenever Annie chases Scamper, you pay attention to her.

I think some cats like attention, even what their owner thinks is negative attention. Your chasing her around the house may be lots of fun for her, since she doesn't get hurt.

Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scampersmama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nil4664

Ask your mom how they act together when you're not home. Maybe Annie wants your attention. Whenever Annie chases Scamper, you pay attention to her.

I think some cats like attention, even what their owner thinks is negative attention. Your chasing her around the house may be lots of fun for her, since she doesn't get hurt.

Just a thought.
hmm... I never thought of it that way. I usually run her up the stairs... I'll try some of your suggestions and let you all know how things go! Thank you so much for your advice!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScampersMama

Well, I've had Scamper for almost 8 years and Annie came to us as a stray about 3 or 4 years ago... they are both spayed and Scamp is maybe 2 or 3 years older. Whenever Annie chases Scamper, I always run Annie off... it just makes me mad that Annie is so mean to my sweet angel
That tells a story.....Annie came in as a stray and probably had a much different life prior to your comfy, safe home. Scamper was there first so this is a threat to Annie as well as Annie is a threat to Scamper. When they stare each other down, it's a standoff, then it progresses from there and neither one wants to give. I think it's definitely a good thing that you step in and break it up, it might even help to do it sooner. When you see them starring each other down step in and change the mood maybe with a toy, is there any toys they both enjoy playing with? Maybe try to create some activities where they both participate and enjoy.......

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After reading this thread, I'm kind of feeling sorry for Annie. I have a similar situation, and I hate that one of my cats is afraid of a feral I took in (and have somewhat rehabilitated). I suggest giving Annie LOTS of love, perhaps when Scamper isn't watching. And the advice to change the mood before it turns into a scuffle is good, too. Have you ever thought of a new home for Annie? Maybe she needs to be someone's "special" kitty.