Post Spayed Surgery Problem...out of Control Kitten!

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!!!
I just brough Kizzi back from the Vet, she got spayed today. Ok when i got her, the vet said that she is extremely upset and she ripped her sutures out twice, so they had to staple her shut. Also i got her the collar, and she is sooo mad at me, that she managed to get out of it again. UGH i do not know what to do. She is sooo agressive; isn't she supposed to be sleepy and subdued?? she is going all over the place, is extremely agressive and keeps attacking the sutures and staple. Please she keeps crying for more food (doc said to only give her half of what she usually gets) and wants to drink. so OMG please someone help. My mother and I do not know what to do. We cannot leave her for a second. Please i need help, thank you!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you call the vet back and tell them what she is doing?
My Lucy pulled her stitches out because she had a reaction to them and she got infected bad.
That is why I was so scared yesterday for Cleopatra.
Some cats are hyper right after also.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Laura pulled her stitches and her staples out and the vet wanted to keep her right there with them, so they could keep an eye on her. She was given antibiotics and pain meds. I would call the vet back, if she is being aggressive and let him know how aggressive she is being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well she was agrresive and pulled the stitches out while in the vets care... and they still released her to us. also the vet is closed already.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not experienced anything like that before. I wonder if it was some type of reaction either to the anesthesia or the pain medication. I think they have more than one option for pain control. There is a drug for humans that will reverse reactions to meds. I think there may be one for felines also. Worth asking about.

Does your vet have an emergency phone number that you could call and ask about a sedative or some other type medicine to calm her. Maybe an after hours emergency clinic to call. That seems like it could be dangerous for her to be like that.

Hoping she settles down soon.

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi. no the stupid vet has no emergency number, it Benfield Hospital, how messed up is that. She has her collar on, and is crying and keeps going to her water bowl. but everytime i take the collar off, she goes and attacks the damn staples. she has been home 3 hours, and still is very agressive, will not calm down and her eyes are huge, there is so no whites in them. Am i just over-reacting or should i be worried more???

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a little concerned about the reaction she is having. I think you should look up the phone number of an emergency vet and explained to them what is happening.

I don't know what type of anesthetic they used on her. If the gave her pain meds or not. If they did, what type. Etc.

I have literally had over 100 cats spayed in my life (tnr) and I have never had one behave that way.

It sounds to me like she is not fully out of her sedation and is painful and reacting to the stitches/stapes as the source of pain. If she is not fully awake or reacting poorly to a pain medication she will be very confused and this could make her very agitated.

This is just a guess though and I really think getting veterinary advise as soon as possible is the best thing. Even if you just speak to someone on the phone.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you can make her a little bandage out of a sock - cut holes for her front legs & head, pull it down over the staples - might keep her out of them.
but i agree - sounds like an idiopathic anesthetic reaction of some kind. i've had 6 cats spayed in my life, not one has had this type of reaction. i can see why you're so concerned.
whereabouts are you? maybe there's someone here @ TCS who can recommend an e-vet in your general vicinity...

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmmm .. ok so this is not normal. my fiance just came over and he said that she is a wild cat and i shouldnt worry, but even though shes normally agressive, the way her eyes are huge and shes crying, i dont think that is normal.
I live in Linden, NJ... it is close to Elizabeth/woodbridge/edison.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can post what I think of the vet here but can tell you in a pm.
I would look for a er and call them even if they are far away.
I never had a cat have surgery go crazy like that.
In fact we just picked a cat up from the vets taht had bladder surgery yesteray and he is fine.
She might be having a reaction to something.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just googled Linden New Jersey emergency veterinary and got this list

If the link doesn't work, just search that phrase and a dozen vets will come up. I don't live in NJ and have never used any of these vets so I can't say they are good, bad, expensive. This is just a list of what is near you that should be open.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...e-results&cd=1

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

I just googled Linden New Jersey emergency veterinary and got this list

If the link doesn't work, just search that phrase and a dozen vets will come up. I don't live in NJ and have never used any of these vets so I can't say they are good, bad, expensive. This is just a list of what is near you that should be open.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...e-results&cd=1
Thank you sooo sooo much! you are soo awesome!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get her in somewhere sooner rather than later, it really seems like shes having some sort of reaction. Please let us know what they say.

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey all.. a lil update..
Kizzi has finally calmed down. Right now she is sitting at her window seat just looking outside (window is closed only 30degrees outside).. she stopped crying and she calm. Her pupils are still huge. My mom thinks that the vet gave her too much drugs b/c they had to suture her up a couple of time, and that she probably is high.
I will watch her for a lil bit more, then if it gets I will rush her to the emergency room.
Please do not think that I am ignoring her by not taking her there right away. but I have a huge exam tomorrow morning and I have a 10 page paper to finish for that class also.
I am sooo stressed that i am ready to rip my hair out.

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!!!
I just wanted to thank you for all the advice that you gave me. Everyone on this site is soo awesome and helpful. I love yah all
. good and grateful vibes to u all

So I wanted to update you all on Kizzi. Yesterday she woke up regularly, ate a ton and was up and ready to play and watch out the window. Her eyes are back to normal and she is not extremely agressive (well no more then usual). Plus she gave up on attacking the staples and stitches, i caught her cleaning them, but nothing was ripped out. I think that she was just coming off the meds and anesthesia and thats why she was soo wierd. I was soo worried for her, but now all is well. Boy, thank god that this only has to be one once, b/c I would never put her through this again (unless is life or death).
i will keep on updating with her recovery. b

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am glad she is better.
They should not have let her come home like that.
Good morning. Thanks!!! I truely agree!
by the way how are your cats doing???

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco will see the vet for her crf next month unless she get bladder problems again or sick before that.
Cleo is fine and should be here sometime next week.
I feel bad for her she got fixed and a Rabies shot Nov 20th and next she will have a long plane ride.
Then it will be a 2 hour drive if there is no traffic to get back here.
After that she will see my vet.
Midnight came home friday and has pain meds and clavamox.
Would you like to see how he looks after sugery.
I can pm you the link to my sisters myspace.
Is there any other vet you can use in the future instead of the one you go too.
I was went to a very bad vet and they told me coco had lung cancer when she was very sick.
I filed a complaint and so did a bunch of other people.
They got shut down.
Midnight acts fine and my sister thinks he dosent even need the pain meds anymore.