Vet diet- cat won't eat. Boiled skim milk?

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I wrote a few weeks ago about my cat's problem with diarrhea and gas. I finally got her to the low-cost vet associated with her shelter. They saw her for about three minutes, took her temperature, and then gave me five doses of Albon (I thought it was strange that they didn't want a stool sample). They said the Albon could address several issues- he mentioned coccidia (sp?) as one of them.

The vet told me to not give her anything by mouth for 24 hours. Then for 3 or four days, give her boiled skim milk, beef bouillon broth, or chicken rice soup. And no water. And then for 2 days after that, he told me to give her a "pre-digested" food (he gave me two cans of it- hills prescription diet a/d canine feline). And then phase back in her regular food (taste of the wild).

I've always heard that milk will give cats diarrhea- should I really give her boiled skim milk when we're treating her for diarrhea in the first place?

I just gave her a dose of her medicine and then made her some chicken rice soup, and she won't eat it. I know she's really hungry because she's been going crazy for the last 24 hours. And she's quite thin, so I'm worried that going without food for much longer won't be good for her. I doubt she'd eat the beef bouillon either, but she might possibly drink the milk. I'm not sure though.

So, what should I do? Should I give her some of the pre-digested food? What if she won't eat it? I can't call the vet- they don't staff receptionists. If you have any question at all, you have to go all the way up there, and they close soon. It's very irritating.

Thank you for your help!

-Brea (and Scarlett)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call the shelter and ask if they have another vet available that you can talk to as you are very worried about her not eating and possibly going into liver failure?

I certainly know nothing about boiled milk or vet medicine so can't advise you, but this sure doesn't sound like great advice to me.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never give a cat milk and do not understand why the vet did.
My cats get diarrhea from any milk. I would think the bouillon would have to much salt.
Sounds like your vet is not very good at all. My cats have had a/d before when they were sick and they ate it.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to the 3rd the idea of getting another opinion, your kitty shouldnt be going that long without food either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UGH, okay, thank you for your advice- I feared that the vet's advice was bad, but figured I'd give it a try

I just gave her some of the a/d stuff, and she's scarfing it down. But I'm not sure how much I can give her since she's not used to wet food.

My mom has lots of animals, and sometimes takes them to an emergency vet about an hour away. I'm going to call her and get the number, and see what they say.

Thanks again for your help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BreaMarie

Hi,

I wrote a few weeks ago about my cat's problem with diarrhea and gas. I finally got her to the low-cost vet associated with her shelter. They saw her for about three minutes, took her temperature, and then gave me five doses of Albon (I thought it was strange that they didn't want a stool sample). They said the Albon could address several issues- he mentioned coccidia (sp?) as one of them.

The vet told me to not give her anything by mouth for 24 hours. Then for 3 or four days, give her boiled skim milk, beef bouillon broth, or chicken rice soup. And no water. And then for 2 days after that, he told me to give her a "pre-digested" food (he gave me two cans of it- hills prescription diet a/d canine feline). And then phase back in her regular food (taste of the wild).

I've always heard that milk will give cats diarrhea- should I really give her boiled skim milk when we're treating her for diarrhea in the first place?

I just gave her a dose of her medicine and then made her some chicken rice soup, and she won't eat it. I know she's really hungry because she's been going crazy for the last 24 hours. And she's quite thin, so I'm worried that going without food for much longer won't be good for her. I doubt she'd eat the beef bouillon either, but she might possibly drink the milk. I'm not sure though.

So, what should I do? Should I give her some of the pre-digested food? What if she won't eat it? I can't call the vet- they don't staff receptionists. If you have any question at all, you have to go all the way up there, and they close soon. It's very irritating.

Thank you for your help!

-Brea (and Scarlett)
Brea

I am so sorry your going thru this ...

Please call another vet and ask them what you asked us.... Most will be happy to talk with you ( yes on occasion they will ask you to come in with the cat)... My vet just yesterday sent me for chicken broth for one of my cats ... Boiled milk I would call another vet and ask ...Canned food is very good for a sick kitty as it is smelly a/d is high calorie to aid in healing but it is far far different ingredients than Scarlett's dry food and like the broth and milk may upset her tummy ... I will sound like a broken record but CALL another vet Please

Give her as much as she will eat in tiny portions

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says. We are here and will help you in any way we can

usameisje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boiling milk makes the lactose and complex proteins break down. Making it safer for cats.

Call the vet back and ask if you have questions about why they recommended it.

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I just wanted to update that I'm taking her to the emergency vet now. They were very helpful and said the other vet's advice was bad. They want me to take her in today rather than tomorrow because her gums look somewhat white.

I'll update when we get home

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your cat is anemic now.
I am glad you are going to the er.
Post when you get back.
I have ha anemic cats before and can help you if its anemia.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Sounds like your cat is anemic now.
I am glad you are going to the er.
i agree. sending & that the e-vet can help her!

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Scarlett to the emergency vet. They said that it was bad that the original vet gave her medication without tests, and said that milk would have been a bad idea; you guys were right about that.

They did a fecal test and gave her some IV fluids. She was negative for coccidia but said that she had high levels of some kind of bacteria (can't remember what it was). He said giardia is really hard to test for, but the medication he gave me should treat it (clavamax). He suspects, though, that it may have irritable bowels or a food allergy (she's on grain-free food now, but I might need to try something different). He said she may also need a colonoscopy.

He wanted me to give her the a/d or boiled chicken mixed with rice. I told him that she'd likely not eat rice, so he said to try some of her kibble with the chicken.

I'll continue to update as time goes on, thank you again to everyone for your advice

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, the boiled chicken + rice is a good, bland diet.
Java had what my vet called an intestinal bacterial overgrowth - caused unbelievable gas
& diarrhea. took 2 rounds of antibiotics + a round of probiotics to get rid of.
glad you found a good vet!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am so glad you got in to get a 2nd opinion, that just didnt sound right.
sending so many positive vibes your way for your little girl to feel better really soon

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you got a good vet.
My Coco has ibd and allergies and the clavamox makes her sick.
I hope it will work for your cat.
My other cats are fine with it.