Wellness Core

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 chihuahua's and they are on a grain free food....so I thought might as well change the cats to a grain free food as well...since the chi's seem to be doing great on it....I had my cats on hills science diet ...One of my male cats had FUS 4 times since he turned 4...he is now 7...and hasn't had a bout of it since switching his food....Does anyone know if this food is ok for him to eat... ? The vet had told me they think FUS is cause by a virus now and they dont put much into the food choices now like they used to to fix this problem..he wasn't talking about grocery store food..he was meaning good quality food....he did say they are better off eating any kinda soft food than dry kibble....but I am wondering if the wellness core dry is preventing this FUS flare ups...Anyone have a thought about this ?

Nancy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a lot of UTI/FUS info out there ...

IMHO No ,I would not use Core in the dry form... the Magnesium , calcium and phosphorus are not in the right balence ...

To date no dry grain free is certified UTI/FUS friendly ..... There are a few certified foods available OTC ie local pet store , these foods went thru 18-24 months additional testing validating the claims to help with urinary health ...

Here is a link for grain free food percentages :
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ght=uti+issues

some may vary a bit as the thread is over a year old ...

Gernerally the UTI health formulas

magnesium is under .085%
Calcium under 1%
Phosphorus under .9 % many prefer under .7%

Wet foods are much easier to find meeting uti friendly guidelines... I agree with wet food being better for this issue ..

here is a lovely article
http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/91/...t-Disease.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm I read all that....but those numbers and percentages all get jumbled up for me.....Seems u know alot about it....can I ask what OTC foods are fus friendly ? I am going to keep searching ...but I really thought the wellness core was a better food....I actaully was told it was a good food from the ppl that run/own the store I buy my pet food from....They also recommended some food that was made with cranberries....but for whatever reason the name is escaping me at the moment...Ah well I will keep checking it out this evening see if I can find something suitable,,,thanks

Nancy

P.S searched alittle and the first to pages I found say grain free are best....its confusing out there in google land

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I advise a sit down with your vet and ask Exactly what percentage he/ she thinks is best ... Unfortunately I came accross many folks in your position of the vet saying buy a premium food ( that is a BIG catagory
)

certified currently OTC pro plan and purina one both have urinary formulas

nutro max was slightly reformulated and thus is re testing to be certified ( % s match up but )

I believe Royal canin also has one but they have so many names I cant keep it strait..

Cranberry powder can help , another talk with the vet as some like it and some do not ...

The BEST food is all relatitive IMHO... ie you have a cat with an issue relating to health and thus need a food to aid in that ... Corn and corn gluten aids in balencing the chicken meal in most "premium " foods ... I noted that because once you start searching you will find that the certified foods all have one or the other or both...

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had a few talks with the vets about his food...they always want u to buy what they supply... a medi cal food and an OS kind...he ate it for alittle while but in the end hated it.....I will check out the raw diet as well.....I have water bowls all over the house..in hopes he will drink more...for whatever reason he isn't a huge drinker...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I've had a few talks with the vets about his food...they always want u to buy what they supply... a medi cal food and an OS kind...he ate it for alittle while but in the end hated it.....I will check out the raw diet as well.....I have water bowls all over the house..in hopes he will drink more...for whatever reason he isn't a huge drinker...
will he eat any kind of wet food???

Will your vet help with a raw diet ??

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He didn't like the stuff the vet gave him...he would lick off the "gravy" and not eat the rest....but he eats any reg non prescript canned food...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

He didn't like the stuff the vet gave him...he would lick off the "gravy" and not eat the rest....but he eats any reg non prescript canned food...
well if he'll eat regular canned food you HAVE lots of options... just make sure to check the magnesium and make sure it is .022 or .025 at the most ...

I think there is a thread on UTI friendly wets