What to charge for my baked goods??

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few of my mother's friends from work have asked me to bake my yeast rolls for their Thanksgiving dinners next week. But I have no idea how much I should charge for them.

It does take time to make them, but it isn't terribly difficult or anything. What would you charge? Or maybe I should ask what would you pay?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What would a comparable item cost from a good bakery (not a grocery store or discount store)? And are they that much better than store bought goods that they are worth a little extra money?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you trying to make a profit or do you just want your cost covered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not really looking to make any money; but I don't want to loose money in it either. I want them to be reasonably priced.

I know the one lady wants 2 dozen and they are about the size of an medium orange when baked. I don't have the recipe in front of me; but it's nothing too fancy, but tasty. I've made them for other events for Mom so I'm thinking the people that asked her have had them before. I haven't bought rolls like these in years since i learned to make them; so short of going to the grocery store on my way home tonight I'm not sure what they run there. Which is why I thought to ask here.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Are you trying to make a profit or do you just want your cost covered?
I'm assuming you just want to cover costs? I would look at the high end baked goods in the supermarket. At mine a nice freshly baked roll (like foccacia, kaiser or multigrain) would be about 35 - 60 cents each.
Or you would have to add up the cost of all your ingredients and find out just how much it costs to make a roll.
And yes, please, send some out this way!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Or you would have to add up the cost of all your ingredients and find out just how much it costs to make a roll.
Thats what I would do. I would add it all up and divide per roll. That way you will get exactly the money you put into out and then know how much extra, if any you want to add on top of it.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would figure out how much the ingredients cost, then figure out how much of those ingredients you use per recipe, and use that as a base for your goods. Then you might want to figure in the time you spent making them, as your time is worth something as well.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For good yeast rolls the size you describe I'd personally be willing to pay anywhere from $6-$8ish a doxen.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I would figure out how much the ingredients cost, then figure out how much of those ingredients you use per recipe, and use that as a base for your goods. Then you might want to figure in the time you spent making them, as your time is worth something as well.
I think that you are an accountant! That's okay, I worked for Price Waterhouse after b-school but as a financial systems consultant. But, hey, I can do cost accounting!

Please add the time you spent making them because to make them for sale is not the same as making them for fun. Figure out how long they take to make - prep and assembly and cleanup time, minus the actual baking time -and figure out how much you make in salary to get a handle on how much your time is worth.

You may want to give yourself a little profit, say 3 - 5% of cost if you are not looking to make money.

Don't forget to take into account the cost of packaging and delivery, especially with the price of gas.

As for comparing them to rolls in the grocery store, the packaged ones are often made by large companies with lots of economies of scale. The suggestion of pricing homemade or specialty rolls was a good one.

OMG! All those years of designing, programming and implementing management accounting systems is really apparent in this post.

Oh! When you make them for all of us, we'll pay the shipping.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

For good yeast rolls the size you describe I'd personally be willing to pay anywhere from $6-$8ish a doxen.
I was thinking about $7-8 a dozen is what we'd pay at our bakery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stopped at the grocery store for flour and butter on the way home so I walked through their bakery. They had some rolls for $3.99 for 8 rolls. I didn't see any yeast rolls out there. I ended up telling the lady $10 for them. I'll figure out the cost from doing this batch for any future requests.

Thanks for all your help guys!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband bakes our bread now. I asked him the question - he says that a dozen rolls would about equal a loaf of bread. Homemade bread in our town (at the farmer's market) would go for about $4 a loaf.

So 2 dozen rolls would be about $8. After all they ARE homemade and people will pay a bit more.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work part time at an artisinal bakery and they charge 60 cents for a plain 4 oz roll.
The speciality ones go for 70-cents cents (with fruit or nuts).