Christmas Trees

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Who here gets real trees every year? I have never had one and my parents have NEVER had a real tree but I'm thinking about getting one for the first time this year. I wouldn't put ornaments on it because I know my cat will have a field day with them, but I was curious if I could get one next week or shortly after Thanksgiving and it still be in good condition until I discard it at the end of December? What kind of things would I need for it and what special care would I have to give it? Is there a certain type of tree you would recommend? Also, how much do they usually cost. I don't want but maybe a 6 footer or so. Sorry for all the questions!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only ever had a real tree when I was a very little girl. We have a pseudotree that we bought a year ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a fake tree but it's silver, and my sister always gets real trees every year for the past few years and her house always smells good to me. It smells like the Christmas tree LOL. We usually celebrate Christmas over there.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Real tree ALWAYS. I am not a fan of fake trees but thats just me. And this year we are going to a tree farm to chop down our own

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

Also, how much do they usually cost.
It depends on where you buy the tree and the type, stores likely raise the price a bit. I remember my parents spending $30-45 several years ago.

Here's a Texas farm's price list from last year http://www.kelumac.com/Christmas Trees.htm Checking other farms' price lists shows the same, $30-60 depending on type.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We usually have a fake tree, but last year I gave in to my husband's wishes to get a real tree. We were really scared with the kitties, but they were really good!
No one climbed it even once!
Of course, I think we're still finding the needles (one of the reasons I like the faux trees) from last year.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fake tree all the way here! So much less upkeep!
You want the smell of a real tree? Burn a pine candle. That's my theory anyway!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Who here gets real trees every year? I have never had one and my parents have NEVER had a real tree but I'm thinking about getting one for the first time this year. I wouldn't put ornaments on it because I know my cat will have a field day with them, but I was curious if I could get one next week or shortly after Thanksgiving and it still be in good condition until I discard it at the end of December? What kind of things would I need for it and what special care would I have to give it? Is there a certain type of tree you would recommend? Also, how much do they usually cost. I don't want but maybe a 6 footer or so. Sorry for all the questions!
HELLO!!!!!!!!!! My DH works for the largest Christmas Tree farm in Oregon.
Holiday Tree Farms.
They ship all over the US and other countries. They ship to Target, Walmart, Home Depot and others. Texas is a big market for them. If you want to go green a real tree is the way to go. It's a crop here...they don't go out into the woods and chop down trees at random. You can not beat the smell of a real tree. I've gone out to the yard recently to pick up my DH from work and I roll down my windows and SNIFF...AHHH! The best tree to get is a Noble...it's sturdy, just remember to cut off and inch or two before putting it into the tree stand full of water. PM me if you want to know more.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a kid we used to go out, pick a tree and cut the tree to bring home. We had land
I love that real tree smell, just get a stand and keep it filled with water. Get a tree shirt too.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I found a tree farm not far from our town, and we go there, pick one out, and cut it down ourselves.

What's really nice is that the first Sunday in December, the Newfoundland Rescue group comes in with the dogs and the dogs (for a tip) will cart your tree for you!

It's really a great day to go, and DH and I have found out that it's a great tradition for us. This will be our third year going on Newfoundland Rescue day.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had real trees the whole time I was growing simply because I was raised in Rural Ontario, if you wanted a Christmas tree you went out in the back field and cut one down.

When I moved to the town I live in now I started using artificial trees because it was just easier..

We always got spruce because they seem to last longer then then pine or balsam. They also have round branches that make it easier to attach ornaments to. They are more picky then then the others so your cats aren't as likely to climb on them. Also they have a stronger fragrance.

Pine is also pretty but the needles start falling really quickly and balsam trees leak sap all over the place.

Other then a very secure tree stand all you really will need is maybe some twine to secure it. Then just the ornaments.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The smell of a real tree is wonderful!
I've always thought it was a huge waste to chop down trees just for Christmas, then throw them out afterward. These days there are a lot of tree schemes that make good use of the trees when people get rid of them.

Just remember that pine needles can hurt little paws, and don't put anything like aspirin or fertilizer in the tree water!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember always having one as a child, but not since then
I just told DH the other day I really want a REAL tree this year!!! I know they are alot of upkeep but they are sooo pretty and smell good

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had a real tree never a fake one. Here in Maine as a kid we always just went out and the woods and cut one.. Now we go to a Xmas tree farm and pick and cut one. We pay usually $30.00 or $35.00 dpending on the size..

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Honestly, I think getting one next week would be much too early. Your tree would not last very well until the end of December. For a real tree you would need a good sturdy pail to put it in (or special holder you can probably buy), I would recommend you tie it up to prevent it falling over, you will need to water it daily and be prepared to be picking up fir needles well into next summer.

When we had real trees on the farm we usually put them up about 1 week before Christmas and took them down on New Year's Day and even then the needles were shedding like crazy.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I've had real trees my whole life (expect for the two Christmases we were in the apartment where they didn't allow them) I used to go out to the tree farm with my parents to find our tree. Now DH and I make a morning of it. I love it as a tradition (and a joke since we always pick the one that's the furthest from our car.
)

I love the smell of a real tree. We've always gotten spruce and we tend to get it about 1-1.5 weeks before Christmas, then keep it up into January. As long as you keep it watered, it can usually hold it's needles for quite a while. Just make sure you have a good heavy-duty tree stand because them can be alot heavier than you originally suspected.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had all kinds of trees. As a young child we had real trees. One year my husband and I had a rosemary bush shaped as a Christmas tree (decorated with mini ornaments and wine glass decorations), a lemon tree that we were giving as a gift
, and now a fake tree that already has the lights on it.

Our tree is very special though. All of the ornaments on it were handmade by my Grandmother, who passed on Sept 22 of this year. I miss her very much and will always remember what she said when she gave me something she made: "This is so you have something to remember me by when I'm gone."

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Fake tree all the way here! So much less upkeep!
You want the smell of a real tree? Burn a pine candle. That's my theory anyway!

Thats my theory, too! When I was growing up, we always had a real tree. OMG there were needles left over for months! We were constantly cleaning the needles.

One year, the day before Christmas, my Father bought this fake Christmas tree, completely decorated with all the ornament, from a department store, for this ridiculous price, like 90% off, from that year forward, my family has always had a fake tree and burn candle for any smell you want in the house

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Up until a few years ago, we always got potted Christmas trees, used them for a few years, and then planted them in the yard. After 2+ decades of tending,carrying, planting them, etc., DH went on strike, so I went out and bought a small artificial tree. It's a lot less hassle.