My Raggie keeps attacking me

raggiemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

Often when my cat comes to sit on my lap, whether or not I've been petting her, after about a minute or so she stops purring and becomes aggressive for no apparent reason. She starts to bite and scratch me, ears go back and she generally looks pissed off. If I put her down and say no she becomes more aggressive and starts launching at my face- I put her in another room but it doesn't seem to help. She is about nine/ten months old and is not yet neutered. She does this both to my fiance and myself, but far more often to me. I'm a little perturbed as Ragdolls are renowed for their placid and affection natures, yet she seems to be breaking the norm. Help please!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would first try having her spayed, you may see a difference in her behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raggiemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help! I looked at that link before I posted the thread but it didn't seem to cover my problem...I'll be booking her in to get spayed as soon as I can, I think that'd probably the issue. She's been very sweet today, I've been giving her lots of attention and she hasn't attacked me at all....except to chase my feet, lol.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Raggiemum

I'm a little perturbed as Ragdolls are renowed for their placid and affection natures, yet she seems to be breaking the norm.
That seems to depend on their lines, some are very sweet others very much the opposite.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hormones can really drive a girl crazy, sometimes literally
! Having her spayed should decrease if not correct this aggressive behavior.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Hormones can really drive a girl crazy, sometimes literally
! Having her spayed should decrease if not correct this aggressive behavior.
That's true for both humans and felines. I remember my late mother going through The Change the way that Sherman went through Georgia.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had problems similar to yours last year with Zoe. I tried to use positive association when it came to petting and handling her. Try this: pet your cat, give the cat a treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Soon your cat will associate your petting as something positive, and you can phase out the treats. As far as attacking your feet, give the cat another outlet to let out that energy. I found a toy called Da Bird (http://www.go-cat.com/) and did multiple fifteen minute play sessions a day. No more attack on the feet.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have a Ragdoll that's not quite what I was expecting. He runs around like a crazy kitten, doesn't really like to be held, and just generally acts like a 15 pound 8 week old kitten. One thing I try to remember is that Ragdolls mature very slowly. Our kitties will be basically kittens until they are 4 years old.

But Smudge is amazing, and I wouldn't trade him for anything. It also helps a lot that I have another male cat for him to chase around and play with...

for Raggies!

megra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

That's true for both humans and felines. I remember my late mother going through The Change the way that Sherman went through Georgia.
Excellent!