Wow! That really cleared out my sinuses!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love using hot sauce. My favorite brand is Cholula. I was out so got some at the grocery store today. There, right next to it, was a hot sauce labeled "Yucatan Sunshine, prepared Habenero pepper sauce." I had seen an episode of Rick Bayeless' "Mexico, One Plate at a Time" about how the soil in the Yucatan is perfect for growing these hot peppers.

So, I bought it and decided to try it on my turkey sandwich. It didn't seem that hot, so I added some more. All of a sudden, my mouth and lips were

But I can breathe much better now!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neat! I love salsas and hot sauces. Real wasabi can clear you up too
Goes great on a sandwich IMO as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Neat! I love salsas and hot sauces. Real wasabi can clear you up too
Goes great on a sandwich IMO as well.
Wasabi is up there on my list of favorite sinus clear-uppers, too.
We should trade sandwich halves one day!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Habanero salsa: Mexican Dristan
Wasabi: Japanese Dristan
Horseradish: Polish Dristan

When I get really stuffed, I pull out the Mexican Dristan.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite hot sauce is Tapatio. Combined with lime juice, you can put it on pretty much anything and turn it into a tasty snack! Usually, I like to put it on some plain potato chips, or cucumber slices. Yum!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, we love Cholula!

My personal fav is Bottled Hell... habanero and carrots...

Austin used to have a salsa-tasting event; don't know if they still do, but boy howdy there were some extremely good sauces there!

My husband is so funny... every time he goes to New Mexico on business he brings back salsas. We have everything, 505, Pedro's, High Mesa, Cervantes... instead of a wine cellar he has a salsa cellar, lol!

Cholula is extremely expensive here and don't move to Canada unless you like wimpy jalapeno peppers.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Louisiana Hot Sauce. I think it's got the best balance of hot and vinegar. I put it on pizza, eggs, tacos, Mexican rice & beans that I make...all sorts of stuff.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the same effect when I make Buffalo sauce. I make it from a combination of Franks Hot Sauce, melted butter and minced garlic. If you have any sinus problems at all a good whiff of it will clear it right up..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

I like Louisiana Hot Sauce.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one! It's so much better than Tabasco sauce (IMHO), and we use it in our cajun cooking.

We grow hot peppers in the summer and make our own hot salsa. The year we had a bumper crop of habanero's was the best year for my sinuses on record.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yum! I really need a sinus cleaner right now!

I just have a bottle of Uncle Vern's Louisiana sauce - Uncle Vern is an American professor who makes his own sauce which we buy on a regular basis. It is really good! Especially with fries.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ack, habaneros! I recently made the mistake of cutting up four small habaneros without gloves. They made my fingers (on the hand that didn't even touch the peppers, ironically) swell and turn red. It took benadryl cream to get the swelling and burning to stop. Apparently I'm a bit sensitive to capsicum.

And no, I do not eat spicy foods at all. I can barely tolerate black pepper.
So I think the rest of you are crazy for eating this stuff! DH likes a lot of the hot sauce brands from Mexico, couldn't tell you what his favorite is at the moment.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My BFF's husband is Vietnamese. He found out I like hot food and ordered some extra-hot sauce for me in a Vietnamese restaurant once. I found out pretty quick that his idea of hot and mine are not the same (lol)! I think maybe I'd better just stick with Texas Pete...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Habanero salsa: Mexican Dristan
Wasabi: Japanese Dristan
Horseradish: Polish Dristan

When I get really stuffed, I pull out the Mexican Dristan.
My type of Dristan. On Passover, we have raw horseradish root. Of course, we get to wash it down with 4 glasses of wine!

Originally Posted by Going Nova

My favorite hot sauce is Tapatio. Combined with lime juice, you can put it on pretty much anything and turn it into a tasty snack! Usually, I like to put it on some plain potato chips, or cucumber slices. Yum!
I love hot sauce on cucumbers! I haven't put it on potato chips, but I have put it on Triscuit crackers, on top of the cream cheese.

Originally Posted by lsanders

I like Louisiana Hot Sauce. I put it on pizza, eggs, tacos, Mexican rice & beans that I make...all sorts of stuff.
Eggs, definitely!

Originally Posted by Momofmany

We grow hot peppers in the summer and make our own hot salsa. The year we had a bumper crop of habanero's was the best year for my sinuses on record.
So jealous!

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Uncle Vern is an American professor who makes his own sauce which we buy on a regular basis. It is really good! Especially with fries.
Fries, yeah.