Stinky Breath

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since I switched Tessie to mostly wet food her breath has been terrible. She went to the vet a few weeks ago and they said her teeth look fine. Is there something I can use to help with the NASTY, NASTY breath? I tried brushing her teeth but after I'm done she paws at her mouth like it's sore.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does her breathe smell like the meat of her can?? ie fishy after eating fish??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not fishy. I kind of smells like morning breath.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is eating the Wellness Grain free. I have been feeding her wet prob for 1 1/2 - 2 months now.

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats on switching to canned food. You might try adding some probiotics or a chicken wing every once and a while. The chicken wing will allow the teeth to do what they were designed to do and scrape some plaque off the teeth as well.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really prefer not giving my cat bones becuase of a bad experience with my dog. Is there anything else I could do?
Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
maybe feline greenies?? my cats love them ...

this is really silly but did the vet check the gums??

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet checked her mouth becuase I wanted to know if her teeth needed to be done so I assume he looked at the gums while looking at the teeth.
O, and I wish my cat chewed her food. I give her Greenies all the time and she swallows them whole. I might try this stuff http://02c21c1.netsolstores.com/inde...OD&ProdID=1348.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

Congrats on switching to canned food. You might try adding some probiotics or a chicken wing every once and a while. The chicken wing will allow the teeth to do what they were designed to do and scrape some plaque off the teeth as well.
I wanted to say for anyone reading this, that the chicken wing MUST BE raw, otherwise the bones will split and can very dangerous.

Biotene is what I use for my kitty cats and have been very happy with it.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Biotene is what I use for my kitty cats and have been very happy with it.
May I ask how often you use it?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use it everyday. From what I have read, it will mix with the saliva and do its job. My cats actually lick it off my finger. I just put a about 1/8 inch dab on my finger for each cat. Now Kiko, I use a baby toothbrush and will brush his teeth with some of it on the brush, but he is the only one who will let me do that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I use it everyday. From what I have read, it will mix with the saliva and do its job. My cats actually lick it off my finger. I just put a about 1/8 inch dab on my finger for each cat. Now Kiko, I use a baby toothbrush and will brush his teeth with some of it on the brush, but he is the only one who will let me do that.
Have you consulted the vet on this one?? I ask as I also use it but there are multiple ??ables for a cat

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes my vet knows I use it. What do you mean multiples for a cat?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes my vet knows I use it. What do you mean multiples for a cat?
ingredients that cats should not have if you are using the human version on the cats

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

ingredients that cats should not have if you are using the human version on the cats
No I am using the veterinarian version. Its called Biotene Veterinarian.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if a 0.12% Chlorhexidine rinse would help? It's sort of like a mouthwash for cats. It's supposed to be good for days when you can't brush, or I just brush my cats' teeth with this.

Chloe has always had bad breath, pretty much since the day I brought her home at 12 weeks old. She is starting to get a little gingivitis so the vet gave us that rinse. It's definitely helped with Chloe's bad breath. You can buy 8oz of it on amazon for about $10, I have no idea what my vet charged us for it.

(If it matters, my cats eat dry and wet).