Fatal Error Notifications when Searching

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to do a search on something and keep getting this error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 524288 bytes) in /home/tcs/public_html/forums/search.php on line 1151

It's more than a bit frustrating, to say the least. Any ideas?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too had gotten a few of those but only when the entire board was giving out an error message ...

chrismikael1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I program in PHP, that has to do with the server not having enough RAM to process the request that you gave it. There is a line of code you can add to the php script which would allocate more memory, but not recommended. They need to expand the capacity of their servers to meet the demand of traffic.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it really take 32 MB of memory to process a search? Holy cow, no wonder most boards have flood control on searching.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't needed to search for any topics since that day, so

I found the info I needed somewhere else not on TCS.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for reporting this! I'll let our admin know and I'm sure it'll get fixed right away.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

it happened to me a few times today...
btw - it happens every time I try to search for cat acne. The only way around that for me is to search for acne instead... Funny....

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That might be due to using the keyword "cat" -- the search engine should filter that out as a word that's too common to search on, but if the common word list hasn't been customized for this website, maybe not and it's overloading the results with too many hits. Just a theory.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your theory does make a lot of sense - there is no problem when I search for acne alone...
I wonder what GingersMom was searching for?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it had something to do with bringing a stray kitten into a home with 4 adult resident cats...but I can't recall the exact search terms I was using.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think it's sorted now - unless anyone is still experiencing this?

dlmckay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've not been able to perform a search on my posts... says I have to wait 15 seconds... so I waited an hour and it told me I had to wait 15 seconds

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean you search once, then got a wait 15 seconds message, came back an hour later, and tried searching but got the wait 15 seconds message again?

I can't remember if this board has a timer on the search flood control, but if you get that message you might try just staying on the search page if you see a countdown timer.