What is it about?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the song "Hotel California" about?

Hubby says it is drugs

I say it is about a really creepy hotel

What do you think?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cheated and googled it. Don Henley explains what it's really about, and that it's boring.
If you REALLY want to know, google: what is "Hotel California" about and click the first link.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked after I voted and I wasn't too far off. My impression is that it was about indulgences... guilty pleasures if you will be it drugs, wine, women... mostly because of the one lyric "We are all just prisoners here of our own device" paired with all the luxaries mentioned... pink champaigne, pretty boys, etc.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was about the trappings of fame. I read somewhere that Don Henley wrote the song to help him deal with how smothered he felt by being famous and recognized all the time. I could be wrong though.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I thought it was about the trappings of fame. I read somewhere that Don Henley wrote the song to help him deal with how smothered he felt by being famous and recognized all the time. I could be wrong though.
I always got the same vibe from it. I guess I'll go Google it now...

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thats what I always thought about when I heard the song. Rob thought it was about drugs. I guess I shall google it and find out the real, boring meaning!

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having grown up in that area, I always figured it was about the So Cal lifestyle, drugs, liquor, overindulgences, lack of respect for our "elders," just everything we were all experiencing at the time.

I watched a 60 Minutes interview with Don and Glen and their answer was somewhat ambiguous, but that is now and they wrote the song then!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I read somewhere that Don Henley wrote the song to help him deal with how smothered he felt by being famous and recognized all the time.
My guess is that he doesn't really have to worry about that anymore, huh? I couldn't pick the guy out of a line-up!

It's a great song, though!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said drugs because there are loads of songs I really like and my SO always says "do you know that song is about drugs?" "It is!!!" I guess I don't listen close enough

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I said drugs because there are loads of songs I really like and my SO always says "do you know that song is about drugs?" "It is!!!" I guess I don't listen close enough
My hubby says that too! He either says it is about drugs, or he takes a perfectly good song and changes the lyrics to something dirty.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I haven't looked yet at Don Henley's explanation -- but I've always enjoyed the song on three levels:

1. As a good song and a truly great record, just brilliantly produced...

2. ...as a really scary little horror movie in musical form...

3. ...and as a vivid, surreal character sketch of a certain kind of creepy, facelifted, sunbaked older woman who keeps "a lot of pretty, pretty boys," a la Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Boulevard."

Going now to see how far off I am!

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it is about people trying to find happiness in material things and thinking that you have more freedom to do the things that you want when really it is more of a trap because you are not always happy but sometimes it is hard to give up that kind of live because you feel like you need it to be happy and if you don't have those things sometimes it is hard to believe that you can be happy. You can't bring yourself away because you are afraid of taken that chance.

Now I will look it up and see what he intended it to be about

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cool thread!!

Big time Eagles Fan here!!

Never saw them in concert in the early years but have seen them 3 times now since 2000.

They are AWESOME in concert!

The talent alone will just awe you.

ps, I thought it was about drugs & addiction.