Question Of The Day - Wednesday, November 19th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! It's COLD here this morning! It's 25°F, and it snowed last night! The snow gave me the idea for today's question....

Who does the yard work at your house? Who mows the lawn, rakes the leaves and shovels the driveway and sidewalks (where applicable)?

My neighbor has a riding lawnmower and loves to mow the lawn and sweep the leaves. He thinks any time spent outside, is good time! I pay him to mow my lawn when he does his. It's worked well for both of us! I have a service who does the snow removal. They come automatically if we've had 2 inches of snow or more. I take care of the snow if we get less than 2 inches. I need to call them today and make sure I'm on the list. It's great, because they will come at 6 am to do the driveway if it snows heavily during the night (I leave for work at 6:15 am.) I do my own gardening and weed pulling. I'm not much of an outside-in-the-heat kind of person, so my gardens look...um...just okay. It's torture for me to pick the raspberries in late July, when it's 100° and 90% humidity!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John's dad and grandpa mow the front yard.... I mow the backyard that's not within the fence... and the horses mow the back 13 acres.
No one rakes the leaves, they just stay there. In the winter, either John or his dad use the bobcat to clear snow in the driveway if necessary. And when it snows I'm the one that keeps the back steps shoveled/swept off.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We rent, so we don't have to do any of that. If the snow is thick enough, the property owners have bobcats come in and "shovel" our driveways. If it's light enough, DH will do it.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Both of us, depending on the task.
DH mows and rakes, I rake and shovel snow. Just depends on the season.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A far as snow shoveling I do my deck, stairs and walkway..My landlord hires someone to do the main parking area. Grass cutting is usually done by my downstairs neighbor since he uses the back yard and lawn area the most.
As for gardening my gardens consist of several flower boxes and hanging plants that are on my deck and I take care of them myself.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Who does the yard work at your house? Who mows the lawn, rakes the leaves and shovels the driveway and sidewalks (where applicable)?
My DH is allergic to grass and weeds. Lucky guy, huh? He pays someone to mow the grass and weed. We do not have any trees around our house that raking needs to be done (they are all evergreens). It never snows here
so we do not need to worry about shoveling snow.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the most part, DH does those things, though occasionally it's not been reasonable/possible for him to do it as soon as it needed to be done -- then it falls to me.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a yard man who works on the garden and yard and we have someone who comes by every two or three weeks to mow our lawn. We usually don't have to worry about snow.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gardener.
There isn't any snow here, and we have a miniscule lawn, but we have lots of growth because we have about an acre of land.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn`t a lawn here but there are two back yards that don`t take much looking after and the front to keep tidy. Now, there are approx 27 residents and do you think any of them do it? Paaa! Not likely. It`s usually Muggins here but I make sure to do it in work hours so I get paid for it

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Good morning! It's COLD here this morning! It's 25°F, and it snowed last night! The snow gave me the idea for today's question....

My neighbor has a riding lawnmower and loves to mow the lawn and sweep the leaves. He thinks any time spent outside, is good time! I pay him to mow my lawn when he does his. It's worked well for both of us! I have a service who does the snow removal. They come automatically if we've had 2 inches of snow or more. I take care of the snow if we get less than 2 inches. I need to call them today and make sure I'm on the list. It's great, because they will come at 6 am to do the driveway if it snows heavily during the night (I leave for work at 6:15 am.) I do my own gardening and weed pulling. I'm not much of an outside-in-the-heat kind of person, so my gardens look...um...just okay. It's torture for me to pick the raspberries in late July, when it's 100° and 90% humidity!
Living in a townhome, this is not an issue for us any more!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we have a very large driveway snowblowing it and some paths takes about an hour or so. We take turns depending on what time of day it snowed. I will shovel the entire thing by hand if I want some exercise!!

For the lawn we have over 5 acres maintaining over 3. We have a commerical mower and looking for a new one next year. I have never mowed with it-too scary!! We have a major slope to a part of our property too. Its a ZTR so no trimming. We use string trimmer once/twice year. For the other part of property we try to burn parts of it in the spring if possible. If I rake the leaves go to flower beds or veg garden. Neil can chop up with mower any left on the lawn.
We do rototill with the big tiller the veg garden a couple times in spring and I'll use the mini tiller or hoe it the rest of year.
We have a woodchipper/shredder that we use quite a bit-might buy a bigger one of those too.
Since I garden for a living guess what I do at home too!! We have extensive planting that need maintenance (mulching and plant care mainly.)
I didn't even mention the chainsaws, pruning etc..................

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do 95% of the gardening, mowing, raking/mulching, and snow removal. Because it's all so hard on my back DH got me an electric mower that weighs next to nothing, and an electric start snow blower.
DD mows about 5% of the time.
I could really use someone to scoop out the alley when it snows. We live in the middle of the block and our garage sits on the alley. I can use the snow blower to clear in front of our garage (and our neighbor's) but the rest of the alley turns into a skating ring, and the ends get blocked when the city snowplows do the streets. A lot of days during the winter I can't even make it 10 feet past our garage so I just stay put.