unhappy/sick cat

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

My kitten is seven months old and is recovering from an injury. She got a stick stuck in the side of her mouth a week ago and it went through the roof of her mouth and a tiny bit beyond, no brain damage but inflammation of optic nerve. Been to vet, she is on anti biotics and was on anti inflammatories, two days ago she wouldn't eat and her eyes looked really peculiar, like she wasn't quite at home, couldn' get any meds into her as she wasn't eating and she was flicking her tail wildly while lying on her front, brought her back to vet, he gave her injections and she was great that night, next morning and today she is not so great, worried about her, vet seemed to think she had been recovering nicely and was okay otherwise. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mn086

Hi

My kitten is seven months old and is recovering from an injury. She got a stick stuck in the side of her mouth a week ago and it went through the roof of her mouth and a tiny bit beyond, no brain damage but inflammation of optic nerve. Been to vet, she is on anti biotics and was on anti inflammatories, two days ago she wouldn't eat and her eyes looked really peculiar, like she wasn't quite at home, couldn' get any meds into her as she wasn't eating and she was flicking her tail wildly while lying on her front, brought her back to vet, he gave her injections and she was great that night, next morning and today she is not so great, worried about her, vet seemed to think she had been recovering nicely and was okay otherwise. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks
We brought her out to the garden and she had a little wander around, then came in and ate a little before going back to bed. She kneaded her fur that she sleeps on and purred a bit - all improvements! Maybe she is a little depressed with having been sick for the last week. Will try and get meds into her next!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like the poor little girl has really been through it, and you're doing all you can to help. Just your concern for her is very important; it gives her something she would not otherwise have. Cats, like humans, can get depressed if they feel alone or abandoned, and they are much more subject to illness in that state.

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! I can't tell you how relieved I am that she ate some and was a bit interested in the outside world, even if it was for a short while. We have only had her 4 months but she rules the house and we love her very much and the thought of anything bad happening to her is hard. Fingers crossed she keeps improving, I wonder if she is feeling better without meds to be honest, she has been on strong doses for a week, I will give her vet a call later to see what he thinks!

clarets14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your little one has been through a lot she will be feeling a bit fedup just as we do when we get an injury or illness. she is with people that love her very much just give her a bit of time i'm sure she will get better please keep us updated

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mary, I will

I am looking forward to telling you all that she is back to her usual mischievious self, hopefully soon!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless her wee heart. I'm not a big fan of drugs period. I realize there are times when pain-killers and anti-biotics are necessary but I try to minimize what I myself take as well as my kitties.

I'll be looking forward to hearing that she is jumping and romping about and all back to normal.

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, well she just slowly toddled to the garden herself for about 5 mins then back up to bed purring and kneading and even enjoyed a rub from us, she is currenly eating her antibiotic food, the little star! If she keeps on like this we'll be delighted, she certainly seems much happier in herself (OH GOD the relief!)

peterpoemercado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mn086

We brought her out to the garden and she had a little wander around, then came in and ate a little before going back to bed. She kneaded her fur that she sleeps on and purred a bit - all improvements! Maybe she is a little depressed with having been sick for the last week. Will try and get meds into her next!
looks like your kitten is just adjusting to her fully healed self.

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks

I am sorry to say that our little sweetie died in her sleep over the weekend, it was very peaceful and she was in a very contented relaxed pose, her last day was good and she was happy but it was just too much for her, the vet said the seconday infection was menningitis and he gave her some injections to try and see if we could beat it but unfortunately no. We are so very upset and miss her terribly. It was a shock to find her. We were lucky she had a happy peaceful last day though and we are grateful for that. Thanks for all your replies