Has anyone been accused of being a hoarder?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt came to visit me and our new house awhile ago. Our cats are really friendly and all four of them came to greet her at the door and hang around her. She's not much of an animal person at all. She doesn't have cats and her dog is only allowed in two rooms because they are vinyl floors.

Long story short she told us we really need to go to town hall and see if we are allowed to have that many cats. Apparently it's called "animal hoarding" when you have too many animals
So in short, she called us hoarders.

My SO and I were both kind of hurt that she would say that, but she's one of those people self centered people that have a lot of money and have lost all compassion for any sort of living thing. But my SO and I have made a joke about it and the other day we were visiting some friends of ours that also have four cats. They knew about my aunt saying that to me and I stuffed one of their cats in my coat on the way out the door. The guy said "hey, what are you doing? Stealing my cat?!" I said, "yep, we're hoarders!"

Some people....

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, but not in a bad way....my mom teases me about having too many cats and i just laugh and say "yep, you know it"
she loves cats so she isnt being mean, she just likes to tease me....

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a hoarder, but my sister made a comment when I got my fourth cat about me "collecting" cats. She did not mean it to sound bad, but it didn't sound good. It's been over 3 years and I have not brought any more cats home, so I think she feels differntly now. Apparently your aunt has a different idea of "Hoarding" than I do. The truth is the people who get turned into animal control are not properly taking care of their animals. I am over our city limit, but my land lord knows and I can't imagine anyone turning me in because they are all up to date with the vet, properly fed & there is not cat pee smell. I guess I think of hoarding as an unhealthy situation for the cats & the person. The true hoarder actually has a mental illness and should be treated by a professional. Having their animals ripped from them is not going to help them in the long run. (sorry went on a little rant there)

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but I know of at least one REAL hoarder and it is not easy to deal with them.

Enzo, what you said about pet limits is SO true. I know SO MANY people who are over their "limit". It is ridiculous that communities even have those laws considering there aren't the same laws for children LOL.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, and when people say something about how many cats I have (5 plus my 2 outdoor ferals, and am currently fostering 2 kittens) I tell them it isn't so different from families who have 2 or 3 or 4 kids, a dog, a gerbil, a cat, and whatever other pets. Just that mine are all cats.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are at the limit according to our local regulations for the size of lot we have. But, in truth, as long as the cats are inside, the only purpose of the ordinance is to be able to help them force hoarders to get rid of most of their animals.

But I DO need to get a T shirt that says "Crazy Cat Guy" to wear to the shelter.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister calls me a hoarder and I only have two dogs but I would have cats if I could but my dad won't let me. But she has two dogs but hers live by theirselves in a kennel and she makes fun of me for petting my dog and talking to her and telling her that I love her and cusses me for bying her collars instead of giving her my money. I would like to have about two dogs and 3 or 4 cats but until I can find my own place I can't. And a better job so I can properly care for them.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but I only have three cats because my place isn't big enough to have anymore. It wouldn't be fair to the cats. However if I had a huge house I would most likely have another 2 or 3 as long as I could afford to look after them.
I have seen stories about a couple of hoarder here in Ontario and it's all very sad, these people obviously are trying to help the animals but they don't have the resources to do so and the animals end up suffering...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crazy yes hoarder no ... but a close friend said not to let anyone know about cat number 5 as folks are worried about me

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I've never been called a hoarder. The doc that I work with said to me one day, "Why would anyone have three cats???"

I quickly replied with a disgusted look on my face, "And why would anyone have three kids?"

I will, however, fess up to being a packrat. I have a hard time throwing stuff away. Especially clothes.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

The doc that I work with said to me one day, "Why would anyone have three cats???"

I quickly replied with a disgusted look on my face, "And why would anyone have three kids?"
That's similar to what i say to people. When people say 3!!!, i usually say"no different to having 3 kids, infact it's better!!"

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have a new support worker at college and when i was talking to a normal person in the office about cats, he interrupted and said 'i've done pets. i had a dog for 6 weeks and it had to be put down cos it had a problem so that's it. the only animal i'm interested in is the one on my plate.'

he then went on to say that he chose to have kids rather than animals. i said that i felt kids grow up with more tolerance and compassion if they have been raised to love and respect animals and my own children are living proof of this.

he raised his eyebrows when i said i had 4 cats and 1 dog and at that point i chose not to continue the conversation with him. i can't understand people like him and neither do i want too. my animals are happy and loved and in return so am i.

if i could afford too and had more room, i would have more cats and dogs. that to me is not the behaviour of a hoarder, who has more animals than they can care for.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I've not been called one, but I know one.
She's a very nice lady who really wants to help, but is mentally ill. It is very difficult because she had the best intentions and ended up hurting the animals and losing her house.

I did get a certain amount of trepidation from the family when I said I was thinking of adding a third..."don't turn into ____"

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes - declined to foster years ago for that reason - instead they euthanized the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Crazy yes hoarder no ... but a close friend said not to let anyone know about cat number 5 as folks are worried about me
Oh my goodness that's funny!

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

No, I've never been called a hoarder. The doc that I work with said to me one day, "Why would anyone have three cats???"

That's great!!! We don't have any kids, and only plan to have two someday in the far future! Our kitties are our kids.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yes - declined to foster years ago for that reason - instead they euthanized the cat.
That is so sad. I think I might have been turned down to foster for the same reason. They never called me back, and you can't tell me a shelter doesn't need foster families.

We've also been told our house is too small for the number of animals, but I think it's just that our cats are always in the same room as us. All four of them are so needy and always want to be with us!! Our house is 876 square feet with a semi finished basement that is just as big. The cats have full run of the entire house day and night. That's almost 2,000 square feet!!!

chrismikael1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forget what she says. Four cats is not that much really. As long as you take care of them good and take them for regular visits at the vet, then you're in good shape.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, but only by people who don't know me. People (mainly forum/online people) automatically assume nobody can have 23 cats and 11 dogs without being a hoarder. People who know me (friends, family, and the many rescues who have been to my home and done in home inspections before I fostered for them) would never say that word about me.

But I know most people on forums automatically assume the worst.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, in fact we all joke about the number of cats we have when we are at the shelter, but it is always friendly joking as we all have 4-5 animals and if we don't, we probably have a few fosters at home.

My mum has never called me a hoarder but she does think I am crazy, but then we never had cats growing up