How Often do you Wash your Cat?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, How often do you wash your cats, and what do you use for it?
Thanks!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash mine 1-2 times a year using BioGroom cat shampoo. I use a shower hose attached to the laundry sink tap, with no water in the sink.

I used to bathe them monthly before cat shows but now will just do it at the start of the season, unless they need it for some reason of course.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use foam spot on cleaners ... in 30 plus yrs of owning cats never had one needing a full bath

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never, they get so upset they can't breathe
I got a herbal shampoo from a breeder that looked promising but never used it. I would stick with something natural that does not have Tea Tree Oil. The one I got had that and my vet said it can be toxic to cats as they abosrb it and it can cause liver issues.

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a couple of flea attacks this year that we can't get rid of so usually when I change flea collars I'll give them a bath.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Funny you should ask. I never wash Larry. He does a pretty good job of it himself.

But last night he came scurrying out of the bathroom (where his litter box is) in a funny way, then stopped and tried to lick his rear end, then ran around again, stopped again, tried to lick, but was obviously getting disgusted at that, and he was also getting upset. I followed him and looked at his butt while he was walking away and there was poo on his fur......not a loose ball, but a wet, smelly smear. (Sorry if this is gross....it grossed me out!)

I had to follow him around with a wet paper towel - no soap on it or anything - trying to catch him and wipe it off. I finally figured out a way to do it, had the paper towel sopping wet with warm water, then let him go. It seemed to work.

He's got long fur, so this was pretty disgusting.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zooy

We had a couple of flea attacks this year that we can't get rid of so usually when I change flea collars I'll give them a bath.
Flea collars are toxic to cats and should not be worn.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I wash mine 1-2 times a year using BioGroom cat shampoo. I use a shower hose attached to the laundry sink tap, with no water in the sink.

I used to bathe them monthly before cat shows but now will just do it at the start of the season, unless they need it for some reason of course.
Never, my baby cleans herself.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We took baths several times a week when they had ringworm, that took the whole family

No more baths for us!!!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never if possible!

Hennessy's had ONE bath since I've had him and that was only because he'd decided to exploring the bath tub, silly cat.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley gets a bath every 3-4 months. Xander has had one since I got him, and will probably get a couple a year as well

I use earthbath shampoo for cats, with extra earthbath conditioner for Riley because his fur gets so tangled.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I show cats, so they get a bath before each show. I use whitening shampoo that is for cats. I have shown rexes and used Nexxus shampoos/conditioners on them with great results.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on several factors. If I'm planning on showing Maxx, he'll get a bath once a week. Otherwise it's once a month for him. Peaches only gets a bath every few months. My cats are Persians and have lots of thick, long fur so bathing really helps me keep the mats down. What I use to bathe them also depends on why I'm bathing them. Just for general bathing I use Earthbath or another shampoo for cats. Absolutely no tea tree oil.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only washed them when I first got them (to get the smell of the previous home/shelter out of them) and haven't since. Although Omelet likes to jump in the bath sometimes. I know, strange cat lol

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never if I can avoid it. Sammy came with ringworm, so everyone had to be bathed (at least they were still kittens). Then Wyatt, well, he had long hair and poop issues, so had to clean his butt regularly, just used wet paper towels, sometimes had to use scissors (very scary) and now Toby. Toby seems to step in his poop when he's covering it up, so, again, a wet paper towel.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine get bathed once a week, or two weeks...all depends on how stinky they get, and how much dust they have rolled in (I have lots of allergies, and the kitties like to carry other allergins on them...lol!)

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never. No reason to, unless they roll around in poo or something. They are cats, and they keep themselves clean.

I don't agree with bathing cats more than once a month at the most anyway, because it dries out their skin. (and actually causes them to have MORE dander, and to carry more allergens
)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

I don't agree with bathing cats more than once a month at the most anyway, because it dries out their skin. (and actually causes them to have MORE dander, and to carry more allergens
)
Thats true.... its better to take allergy meds than to bathe a cat once every 1 or 2 weeks. Thats not fair to the cat, at all.

evil dead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usaully once a month, and that only the one that allows themselves with out putting up too much of a fight. The kitten will definatley be bathed after we get the house clean, cause they smell.