Christmas Baking

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the first time in years I can actually do some Christmas baking this year!

I don't plan on doing much, just some short bread, thumb cookies, rum balls and something else, perhaps a walnut square. I may also make some butter pecan tarts.

Years ago I used to start baking in September and make about a dozen different types of baking and then give 12 dozen baked goods to everyone I knew. It was expensive, but so much fun.

I can't wait. I'll definitely take pictures as I get them done before freezing them.

Anyone else doing Christmas baking? If so, what are you going to bake?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

For the first time in years I can actually do some Christmas baking this year!

I don't plan on doing much, just some short bread, thumb cookies, rum balls and something else, perhaps a walnut square. I may also make some butter pecan tarts.

Years ago I used to start baking in September and make about a dozen different types of baking and then give 12 dozen baked goods to everyone I knew. It was expensive, but so much fun.

I can't wait. I'll definitely take pictures as I get them done before freezing them.

Anyone else doing Christmas baking? If so, what are you going to bake?
Hey! I'm Jewish and I am still baking! Besides making latkes, I am making some meringue mushrooms, walnut bourbon balls and vanilla horseshoes which are actually a secret family recipe.

I learned how to make the meringue mushrooms from a Jewish cooking video that my late mother-in-law gave me, which is really funny because they are usually made to adorn a buche de noel, a Christmas log cake.
Anyway, they are meringues and have no flour so they are my signature passover dessert and a much loved care package item to send to Jenny.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started making gingerbread houses when I was about 11 years old. The most I ever made in one year was six, and that was way too much work! I made the dough from scratch, rolled it and cut it out. I designed different houses each time and got pretty good at it; putting in gables and porches and such.

Too bad I was completely sick of making them by the time I had a child. She and I make one, though, about every other year. But we always make cutout cookies and she's gotten very good at decorating them... you can't tell which ones she did and which ones I decorated anymore!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

...Years ago I used to start baking in September and make about a dozen different types of baking and then give 12 dozen baked goods to everyone I knew. It was expensive, but so much fun.
You gave 144 cookies to every person you knew? Holy cow!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We mainly do different kinds of cookies. I made one batch of chocolate chip up so far. Have to get the cookie book down to pick out a different one or two.

My husband will be baking a bunch of loaves of bread (for us and holidays) over the next week or so.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going to start baking tomorrow, I got supplies today, and it is suppose to be pretty cold, cold for Florida, and I love to bake when it's chilly. I also give away my baking as gifts.

I will be making Fudge, spritz cookies, banana bread, chocolate oatmeal bars, M & M cookies, molasses cookies, and spice/pumpkin bars. Probably a few others but can't remember right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Linda, you'll be sharing then?
I sent you a PM

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I started making gingerbread houses when I was about 11 years old. The most I ever made in one year was six, and that was way too much work! I made the dough from scratch, rolled it and cut it out. I designed different houses each time and got pretty good at it; putting in gables and porches and such.

Too bad I was completely sick of making them by the time I had a child. She and I make one, though, about every other year. But we always make cutout cookies and she's gotten very good at decorating them... you can't tell which ones she did and which ones I decorated anymore!
I've never made gingerbread houses, but I have made gingerbread cookies and decorated those. I can't say that I liked the cookies though!
One year I made sweet bread in the shape of wreaths. I made 3 ropes of dough that were filled with dried fruit and nuts, then braided it and baked it. Then glazed it with a corn syrup glaze and decorated it with slivered almonds and coloured candy balls that you use on cakes. Then added a colourful ribbon to the centre. I did it all from scratch and kneaded the dough the old fashioned way. I made large and small wreaths. I think I made about 2 dozen that year. They were a huge hit.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

You gave 144 cookies to every person you knew? Holy cow!
Yep! I sure did. I did them up as a gift basket wrapped in cello wrap and tied with raffia. It looked very pretty. And I have to tell you that it was probably the most expensive Christmas I ever had. Baking is certainly not cheap!
But it was fun. With the exception of a couple of "cool" receptions to the gift, everyone liked it. The 2 that appeared unappreciative never got another thing from me, not even a card.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about snickerdoodles!!! I love those things. I also like Cowboy cookies. They're basically chocolate chip cookies with coconut and pecans in them. YUM!

I made some pecan sandies like cookies one year that were good. I think I used Rice Krispies instead of Corn Flakes though and left out the chocolate chips. I made some of these and gave them to a friend and she loved them as did my boyfriend. I used a tablespoon to shape them so they were about that size. She gave one to her dog and the dog liked it too (this is why i remember there were no chocolate chips in it lol) Here's the recipe:

* 1 cup shortening (I use Crisco butter flavor)
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups corn flakes
* 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (uncooked)
* 2 eggs
* 2 cups cake flour
* 1 cup chopped pecans

#
Cream shortening and white sugar together.
#
Add eggs and remaining ingredients.
#
This will be real thick and I had to use my hands to mix it well.
#
Take about a heaping tablespoon (or more if you want larger cookies) and roll into a ball in place on cookie sheeet.
#
Bake at 350 degrees until brown.
#
Let cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.
#
You can also add coconut or chocolate chips if desired.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We narrowed our list to 7 kinds due to Mom's surgery.
Choc Chip (not Christmas without them)
Cranberry/Nut (not sure what the true name is)
Snicker Doodles
Spritz
Sugar Cookies (Butter? Hubby can't decide)

I forget the other two mom picked.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm such a procrastinator! I love baking but somehow it's the week before Christmas and I'm just getting started so I have to do EVERYTHING in one day! After about 4 batches I start to fizzle out, but this is what I "plan" on doing:

Chocolate Chip
Peanut Butter (DH would divorced me if I didn't make them!)
Butter Creams with the cherries in the middle
Peanut Butter with the hersey kisses
Then, if I'm not too exhausted:
pressed cookies
maybe sugar cookies cut out
possibly Gingerbread men
Oatmeal (no one likes them but me, so I don't know.)

I admit, for things like Oatmeal and sugar cookies I have been known to buy the Pillsbury and make them quick
. The rest are from scratch.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm such a procrastinator! I love baking but somehow it's the week before Christmas and I'm just getting started so I have to do EVERYTHING in one day! After about 4 batches I start to fizzle out, but this is what I "plan" on doing:

Chocolate Chip
Peanut Butter (DH would divorced me if I didn't make them!)
Butter Creams with the cherries in the middle
Peanut Butter with the hersey kisses
Then, if I'm not too exhausted:
pressed cookies
maybe sugar cookies cut out
possibly Gingerbread men
Oatmeal (no one likes them but me, so I don't know.)

I admit, for things like Oatmeal and sugar cookies I have been known to buy the Pillsbury and make them quick
. The rest are from scratch.
Ahh pressed cookies that's my 6th.

You have me tempted on the Oatmeal ones

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
this year, i will most likely make...
at least 1 batch of brownies
a key lime chess cake
toffee
peanut brittle
coon balls
cheese cookies
most of these will be made at my mom's house, since that's where we all gather for our family celebration. i usually make the candy here at my house, tho.