I think it's time to quit my job. (kinda long)

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part, I don't mind my job. The pay is good, most of the people I work with I get along with and generally it's an easy job for me. However, tomorrow It looks like I will be putting in a minimum of 22 hours

I have to deliver all over the southern part of the province. I start work at 5:00 tomorrow. I'll leave Regina at probably around 6:30AM and deliver in Estevan first, then I have to go to Moose Jaw, and then after reloading the truck in Regina it's a 3.5 hour drive to Swift Current. I'll arrive there at probably about 8:30PM. Once I get done all the deliveries (there's a whole semi full just for there) and then get back to Regina, it looks like it will be about 3:00AM Wednesday.

And then just to top it all off, my boss wants me to come in for work at 7:00AM on Wednesday. So I'll be working about 30 hours in 2 days.

Now, if my boss had an excuse for me having to do all the deliveries of the day by myself (when normally we have at least 2) I would understand, but considering that there are 4 other people that are in tomorrow who can drive the truck, I don't see why one of them can't take Swift Current. I know the drive better than most of them, but there's GPS in the truck so there's no reason that someone else can't help me out.

The worst part is that this isn't the first time he's asked me to do the whole thing. He asked me earlier because our second truck was having some repairs done to it and it didn't look like we could get the rental in time. Luckily, we were able to get a rental from a different company just in time. But this time, we have both trucks running perfectly but I still have to do it all apparently.
Sometimes people can really tick me off.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Driving that much in that short of time is unsafe and against the law for trucking. Tell your boss flat out that the route needs to be divied up or the deliveries spread out over 2 separate days.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

Your Boss is expecting a lot from you.
Well, that's the understatement of the year! And Linda's right -- that's downright unsafe. Surely there's a way you can refuse this assignment on those grounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already told him that it's illegal and dangerous and his response was just "It's only illegal if you get caught."

I called the labor board to see if they can do anything about this and they said they would talk to my boss but I haven't heard anything yet.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like its time to go into work singing an old Johnny Paycheck song.
Take this job and shove it.
Maybe I should take my own advice.
Seriously I hope you work it out to more reasonable hours.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is a lot of driving especially this time of year when the weather is so unpredictable.
Your boss really should realize that he could be in a major amount of trouble if something goes wrong, he could lose his insurance, compensation, and even his business licence.
Hopefully you guys will be able to work something out.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be completely illegal here in the states.
Obviously your boss doesn't have any concern for your safety. Does he need to purchase/lease another truck?

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

That would be completely illegal here in the states.
Obviously your boss doesn't have any concern for your safety. Does he need to purchase/lease another truck?
No. We have 2 working trucks but he's only using one. Oh well. I've decided that I'm going to put my 2 weeks notice in tomorrow so I won't have to deal with this stuff anymore.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I already told him that it's illegal and dangerous and his response was just "It's only illegal if you get caught."
nuh-uh! it's illegal even if you get away w/it!
sounds like you're making the right decision to leave this place!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a comercial vhicle which makes it even more illegal. your bosses idea about it only being illegal if you get caught can get you in hot water because it's you that feels it when you fall asleep at the wheel and end up killing somone!
Read about the comercial vhicle regulations here http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/En...ns/H3-1R12.pdf

My brother drives an 18 wheeler and I know the pressures put on drivers to deliver on time but it's better to deliver safely than on time.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a very fine line in the ways that you can handle it and "potentially" not face some sort of trouble over this. I think at this point you're right to put your two weeks notice in. If you'd gone to them, said .. you know, I need this to happen (which it seems like you did) or I need this to happen... and they'd accommodated you, then you'd be okay I think.

Obviously, though, your boss is taking advantage of you. I think that no matter how you approached it, your boss just simply thinks he can take advantage of you, and you didn't really have a choice there. Any action you took would be somewhat confrontational. You did the right thing by fighting it, and I think continuing to fight it remotely is the right thing, but definitely get out. Now you've created an even more hostile environment than you had before, because as soon as that person from the Labor Board gets ahold of your boss.. he's going to get retaliatory. Make sure you keep records of everything he does, and report it to the Labor Board. You may even be entitled to compensation if you feel that your boss's attitude is making your life unbearable. I don't know what the laws are there, but it's definitely something to keep in mind, and you may have a case that will entitle you to some funds.

Hope everything is going well for you. I certainly understand your situation.. I am in a similar one myself so it's a really difficult task to deal with. Just don't let them get you down.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The market for truck drivers is great. I even got a call this morning from a recruiter, and it happens on a regular basis.

I never run illegal. First of all, we're electronically logged, so I can't, but secondly, if you have an accident when you're over hours, you'll never drive again, and you may lose your house, your car, all your savings, etc.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The market for truck drivers is great. I even got a call this morning from a recruiter, and it happens on a regular basis.

I never run illegal. First of all, we're electronically logged, so I can't, but secondly, if you have an accident when you're over hours, you'll never drive again, and you may lose your house, your car, all your savings, etc.
Not to mention possibly killing innocent people who are sharing the highway.

This guy needs to be reported and the powers that be need to come down on him in a big way.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it seems that the Labor Board had a bigger impact on him that I thought it would. This morning he told me to just do Moose Jaw and I could go home when I'm done when usually he asks me to stay in the warehouse for a few hours after deliveries. So I got 9 hours in today anyway. I still can't wait to leave that place though. Don't you just hate when your boss makes work a miserable environment?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bravo for the Labour Board!! And for you getting them on his case, too.
I'm glad you're getting out from under, though. I doubt this is the only example of him being a jacka**.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rapunzel47;2475882 said:
Bravo for the Labour Board!! And for you getting them on his case, too.
I'm glad you're getting out from under, though. I doubt this is the only example of him being a jacka**.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing!