wet food fridge life

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long does a can of wet food last after you've opened it, put one of those plastic covers on and stuck it in the fridge?

I'm researching food costs for going 50/50 wet/dry, and if I buy some of the higher quality no grain wet food in a 12 ounce can, it's considerably cheaper than the 3 oz variety. Granted, I don't have a cat yet, so I don't know how much she'll eat, but presuming I could feed 3 oz for one meal of wet, a can would last 3 days. But, if the food goes bad before 3 days is up, it's not a very good investment.

All the variety is making my headspin. And I don't even want to think about if s/he is a fussy eater and won't eat what I buy
I suppose I'll just buy a bunch of 3 oz cans, and what she likes, I can then go out and buy larger cans.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if your getting a adult of ave wt 8-12lbs the kitty will likely eat 4-6 oz to 8-12 oz a day ...

most canned foods stay fresh in fridge for at least 3-4 days

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally don't like putting any food in the fridge in a can. I would transfer it to a plastic storage container and it will last a few days for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

if your getting a adult of ave wt 8-12lbs the kitty will likely eat 4-6 oz to 8-12 oz a day ...

most canned foods stay fresh in fridge for at least 3-4 days
Is that if they eat only wet or if wet is only half?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I personally don't like putting any food in the fridge in a can. I would transfer it to a plastic storage container and it will last a few days for sure.
Ah, I can see it now, mistakening the cat food for tuna
We had salt and sugar in 2 plastic containers sitting on top of each other, and once I made cheesecake with a cup of salt
*note to self, label plastic container of cat food*

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

Is that if they eat only wet or if wet is only half?
that is only wet ... the lower end might work as a base for a wet and dry diet

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say that buying the large can for 1 cat might end up with alot of waste....which would end in a waste of money as well.

What are anyone's thoughts on freezing canned food, not in the can, but transferred to a 'freezer' approved container? That might work better for you until you know how much your new kitty will eat.

I buy top-quality canned, and just behoove throwing any of it out. I will sometimes feed them (3 of them) a little on the 'less' side...and if they want more...then they get it. If not, I have not wasted it. They also eat raw, and some K*****...for dessert...