What do I get my sister?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going back to Toronto to visit my family on two weeks. My issue is that I have a present for my Mom (it was a birthday present I never sent her knowing I was going to visit her), a present for my brother in law (same situation as my Mom), and a present for my Dad (I bought him “Band of Brothers” series and book since he loves war movies and I thought he’d love it as much as I did).

I am now stuck with a present for everyone but my sister! I was thinking of getting her a movie, but she is a movie fanatic and owns around 200 DVD’s so I wouldn’t know what to get her. I cant get her pretty smelling soaps or perfume because she works at Elizabeth Arden and gets free stuff. She doesn’t like wine, or books… I just don’t know.

What do you guys buy for gifts when you have no clue what to get?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gift-card.
Or a miscellaneous gift bag filled with candy. I'm a candy freak.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a gift card to a movie store? That's something you'll know she'll use!

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food. I have to bring late birthday presents to my siblings over thanksgiving. My brother is getting gourmet popcorn and caribou coffee, and my sister is getting a chai set and spices.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about make her a little gift basket that is movie themed. Like get a bowl like this and fill it up with some things of popcorn, her favorite movie candies, and either some films that she probably hasnt seen or a gift card for a movie store or 2 tickets to the theater to see a new movie.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

What do you guys buy for gifts when you have no clue what to get?
In that situation I would talk to the mom and dad and anyone else that knows her hobbies and things she likes and would want

Gift cards can always work if she likes to go out to eat to her favorite restaurant.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little warning. Gift cards for movie stores tend to only be for rentals and not for purchasing anything. If she's one of those people that prefers to buy all her movies or for some reason doesn't like renting (which is common given possible store practices), then you'll be giving her a useless card.

Maybe an amazon gift card/certificate would be better? It could be used for more stuff.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just a little warning. Gift cards for movie stores tend to only be for rentals and not for purchasing anything. If she's one of those people that prefers to buy all her movies or for some reason doesn't like renting (which is common given possible store practices), then you'll be giving her a useless card.

Maybe an amazon gift card/certificate would be better? It could be used for more stuff.
Or maybe circuit city or best buy

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Circuit City is in major financial trouble, so a card there might be a bad choice, too. If there is a store there and it's being shut down like the one here is - it won't be around come Christmas.

Looking up what stores are there could be useful.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Get her something very small, and funny, and then make a joke about it: "well I didnt want you feeling left out so here" *hand over a gift wrapped chocolate bar she likes*
Or one of those T-Shirts "All I got was this lousy T-shirt...."
IMO you do not need to give her a gift because you are giving other family members gifts - especially considering there are birthdays (not hers!) involved. Especially with the Holiday season upon us.
Im in the same boat, I live in Edmonton and have managed to visit "home" in Toronto only once in the last 2.5 years. Believe me, your visit home is a gift in itself! If your sister is the type of person to freak out about other people getting gifts but not her, phooey to her. You could always take her out for a special sister dinner or something too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow…you guys are awesome! You know, people say animal lovers are the nicest people in the world. It must be true, you guys have so many ideas for giving!

I know I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t HAVE to get her a present, but I would like to. I would ask her hubby or my family what she needs but secrecy in my family is non existent and I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want them buying me anything so I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want them to know LOL.

Maybe ill make her the movie basket that was mentioned and add things like PJ bottoms, candy, movie theater certificates. Put all of your ideas together.

Thanks so much guys!

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gift card to HMV?? Thats where I buy most of my movies when I'm in Toronto mainly because they have the wickedest deals in the world!!!
I also agree on the movie theme basket. Or a gift certificate to the movie theatre.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If this is the same sister that acts like such a poop lots of times, I wouldn't get her anything.

Seriously, a gift card would probably be best - that way she won't be able to complain about your choice of music for her or book for her, etc.

I love gift cards to Chapters. After Christmas I go to the book sale and get lots of books I like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes, the one and only poop. But the only poop sister I have LOL. I’m going to head to the mall today and see what I can get. A gift card seems like a good idea especially since she is in university now and hasn’t worked in awhile.

Thanks so much all, you guys rock!