How long will stool sample keep?

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one of my cats has had loose stools for a while, so i'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. but as i have several cats (and many litterboxes) it's tough to get a stool sample I know if from him (have to catch him in the act). I was able to do this a couple of days ago so i have the sample (triple-bagged) in the refrigerator. will this be okay for the vet to test, or will it be too old (or too refrigerated)? I guess I don't know all what he will test for, does anyone know if there is an expiration date for poop

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you'll get lucky like me and he'll poop on the seat in the car on the way.

I'd say keep him in a separate room with a clean box overnight if your appointment is in the morning, or if it's late in the day maybe just put him in a separate room first thing in the morning until he goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ugh, i've been keeping all this poop in the fridge for nothing?!! oh well.

i will keep him in a separate room for the night even though he's not gonna like it!

and whiteforest, that worked once with a street kitten i was taking in to the vet. he had explosive diarrhea in the carrier on the way over which became the source for his sample

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by iluvourboys2

A fecal sample will stay fresh for 24 hrs in the refrigerator.
I work in a lab and 24hrs in the fridge is our basic rule. You may also be able to get a stool collection cup that has presevative in it if needed. The stool will last much longer. Not all vets have them, they are more of an expense. The idea is that we want to get it to the lab before the parasite starts to decompose and become hard to detect.

Good luck, be well kitty.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

I work in a lab and 24hrs in the fridge is our basic rule. You may also be able to get a stool collection cup that has presevative in it if needed. The stool will last much longer. Not all vets have them, they are more of an expense. The idea is that we want to get it to the lab before the parasite starts to decompose and become hard to detect.

Good luck, be well kitty.
Can I ask you a question since you actually work in a lab? I sure hope so because I am
. Anyway is the twenty four hour rule true for most common parasites?

Since a veterinary technician I was always taught by veterinarians the twenty four hour time line was a rule of thumb. But not always true. But some of the veterinarians said it just depends on the parasite in question and how many of that particular parasite are present in the fecal sample.

Could you please shed some light on this issue for me? Pretty please

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet says 24 hours, too. Placed in a ziploc bag, then brown paper bag, then another ziploc.