Anyone ever make cheese straws??

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of making some to have on hand for Christmas and for small gifts.

I have a recipe and it doesn't sound to difficult but I don't know how soon in advance of Christmas can I make them??

Thanks!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PM batgirl2good because I know she makes them. Never had them myself that I know of.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ummmmm, cheese straws, yum. I love them
Personally, I love warm soft cheese straws, the just out the oven ones. I wouldn't say that they stay fresh for that long. Unless you could freeze them? Maybe they would stay fresh. Sorry, I haven't been much help, the cheese straw title just drew me in

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail, we make them frequently (they're wonderful with spinach dip) but we cook them kind of crisp like the bought ones. I know they'll last for about two weeks in a ziplock bag.......if they actually last that long!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What are cheese straws?
Around here, they're thin strips of crisp, light, cheese-flavored "crackers" Cracker really isn't a good word, but its the best I can come up with off the top of my head....you can buy them in several different cheesy variaties, but the ones we make are sharp cheddar, dusted with a light coat of red pepper.

Geraldines cheese straws

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a recipe for something similar... we call them 'cheese cookies' because they resemble a cookie [similar in texture to the pecan sandy]. they're rolled into balls & frozen prior to cooking so that they'll keep their shape in the oven [otherwise they flatten out].

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can hold off making them for a month yet so that shouldn't be a problem.
I just can't tell Neil as he will find them and eat them.
An aged cheddar? 1 yr/3 yr/5yr aged cheddar or too much and just get the grocery store sharp cheddar? (this is Wisconsin after all I have a choice!)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if anyone's interested...
Cheese Cookies
3/4 pound shredded sharp cheddar
3/5 pound butter
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon red [cayenne] pepper
1/2 cup chopped pecans
blend cheese & butter w/mixer. sift flour & pepper & mix into butter/cheese mixture... you'll probably have to use your hands near the end. add chopped pecans. roll into 1 inch balls & place onto cookie sheet. bake @ 375°F until browned.

we also like these!
Coon Balls
1 cup bisquick
1 pound sausage
1 pound Coon Cheese [or sharp cheddar] grated
mix all together - again, you'll probably have to use your hands. form into 1 inch balls. lay on a flat surface [cookie sheet] & freeze. cook frozen balls @ 400°F for 20 minutes.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cheese, and I didn't know what cheese straws were. Sounds yummy!