Mom's Green Tomato Mincemeat

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, several of you said you'd like this recipe, so here it is.

Mom Widmayer’s Green Tomato Mincemeat

3 Cups Ground Green Tomatoes \t\t\t
2 Cups Ground Apples (Solid, Tart)
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice \t\t\t\t
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 Cup Brown Sugar \t\t\t\t
1-1/2 Cups Raisins
1 Teaspoon Salt \t\t\t\t\t
1 Teaspoon each Allspice, Cloves & Cinnamon
3 Tablespoons Browned Flour \t\t\t
Cold Water

Mix Apples, Tomatoes, and Raisins and Cook for about 15 minutes. Add all other ingredients except Flour and Cook for about 10 minutes. Brown Flour in skillet. Add Browned Flour to enough cold water to make a thin paste. Add to first mixture, cooking and stirring for 10 or 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn. Ready for pie or to can. Can be doubled or tripled. One quart makes a pie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And I'll add another:

EGG-LESS, BUTTER-LESS, MILK-LESS CAKE

1 Cup firmly packed light BROWN SUGAR
2-1/4 Cups sifted FLOUR
2 teaspoons double-acting BAKING POWDER\t\t
1 teaspoon BAKING SODA
1 Cup WATER \t\t\t\t\t
1/3 Cup SHORTENING \t\t\t\t
1-1/2 Cups RAISINS
1 teaspoon CINNAMON
½ teaspoon NUTMEG
½ teaspoon SALT

Combine the SUGAR, WATER, SHORTENING, RAISINS, SPICES, and SALT in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool.
Measure sifted FLOUR, add SODA and BAKING POWDER, and sift again. Gradually stir dry ingredients into raisin mixture. Then beat well. Pour into an 8 X 4 X 3 inch loaf pan, which has been greased generously on bottom and sides. Bake in a slow oven (325 degrees F) for about 1 hour. (NOTE: It often takes longer, check for doneness with a toothpick.)

DIET NOTE: This is a spicy raisin cake for milk-free diets. It may also be used on egg-free diets.
ALMOND CAKE: Prepare batter for Egg-less, Butter-less, Milk-less Cake, adding 1 teaspoon ALMOND EXTRACT and ½ Cup sliced blanched ALMONDS with the dry ingredients. Bake as directed.
CHRISTMAS CAKE: Prepare batter for Egg-less, Butter-less, Milk-less Cake, adding 1 Cup chopped FIGS and DATES, 1 Tablespoon chopped CITRON, 1 teaspoon grated ORANGE RIND, ½ Cup broken PECANS or WALNUTS with the dry ingredients. (NOTE: I use a 16 oz. container of FRUIT CAKE MIX but no nuts. You should use whatever you like.)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for those recipes - I'll definitely try them. I have to wait until the end of next summer now to try the green tomato mincemeat unfortunately. Nobody will give me any green tomatoes and I don't grow my own. I love green tomatoes just fried for my lunch but all the neighbours think it's a waste to pick green tomatoes rather than letting them ripen. I say if I enjoy them green that's not a waste!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Thank you for those recipes - I'll definitely try them. I have to wait until the end of next summer now to try the green tomato mincemeat unfortunately. Nobody will give me any green tomatoes and I don't grow my own. I love green tomatoes just fried for my lunch but all the neighbours think it's a waste to pick green tomatoes rather than letting them ripen. I say if I enjoy them green that's not a waste!
If you go to the store, just pick up the greenest, hardest tomatoes they have there, and that will work. Partially ripe is OK, actually.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

If you go to the store, just pick up the greenest, hardest tomatoes they have there, and that will work. Partially ripe is OK, actually.
Honestly, you wouldn't find anything even close to a firm greenish tomato in our grocery stores.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Honestly, you wouldn't find anything even close to a firm greenish tomato in our grocery stores.
Really? I'm amazed; even the "ripe" tomatoes in most stores are on the green side, which is why they don't taste like anything.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Really? I'm amazed; even the "ripe" tomatoes in most stores are on the green side, which is why they don't taste like anything.
Not here - everything is pretty much perfect and ready to eat today. An exception might be an avocado which we need to buy a couple days before we expect to use them.

It's interesting but several years ago my brother and SIL were visiting from Branson, Missouri, just before my mom passed away. While my brother sat with mom at the hospital my SIL and their grown daughter went out shopping. They came back completely awed and said they spent several hours at one of our big name grocery stores. The couldn't believe the variety and quality of the foods we had available to us.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, several of you said you'd like this recipe, so here it is.

Mom Widmayerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Green Tomato Mincemeat

3 Cups Ground Green Tomatoes \t\t\t
2 Cups Ground Apples (Solid, Tart)
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice \t\t\t\t
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 Cup Brown Sugar \t\t\t\t
1-1/2 Cups Raisins
1 Teaspoon Salt \t\t\t\t\t
1 Teaspoon each Allspice, Cloves & Cinnamon
3 Tablespoons Browned Flour \t\t\t
Cold Water

Mix Apples, Tomatoes, and Raisins and Cook for about 15 minutes. Add all other ingredients except Flour and Cook for about 10 minutes. Brown Flour in skillet. Add Browned Flour to enough cold water to make a thin paste. Add to first mixture, cooking and stirring for 10 or 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn. Ready for pie or to can. Can be doubled or tripled. One quart makes a pie.
Both of your recipes look really great.

You reminded me of something from when I was a kid. My Aunt made mincemeat pie. I refused to eat it because I thought it was made out of mice. Remember that old cartoon where the cat says to the mouse "I'm gonna make mincemeat out of you!"

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's not much meat even in "real" mincemeat; just some suet. But there's no real need for it, as far as I can tell.