Himalayan health issue

lulupink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently acquired a himalayan kitten. She is absolutely beautiful. She was having some breathing issues so I took her to the vet. She had an upper respiratory infection. However after a round of antibiotics she is only moderately better. I wipe her face twice a day and and steam her in the bathroom at night. Her breathing seems labored and loud. She is eating and playing and otherwise seems fine. When I asked the vet at the kennel I work at he said that these cats are prone to breathing problems and respiratory infections. So how do I know when she needs medical attention? They put her on clavamox is there a better antibiotic? What about antihistimines? Benedryl? Am I just overreacting? HELP??

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I'd throw up a red flag at the use of antihistimines....and what can be an overuse of antibiotics.

I've sent you a Private Message.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been checked for Asthma.
I know Siamese are prone to asthma not sure about himis.
My coco also gets alot of uri's.
Can they try another antibiotic?
My cat can not take clavamox but baytril and orbax work for her.

anna w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When i got my cat from the breeder and brought him home he was in a terrible state with breathing difficulties due to a severe upper respiratory tract infection. My first experience with cats i was out of my mind with worry, i used to sit up with him at night with him struggling for breath. I understand the worry you must be going through at the moment. I cant remember which antibiotic we gave him, i will check when i get home this evening and message it to you as i have it all written down, the infection did take a long time to clear up as i remember but the important thing to know is it will clear up eventually and it does not neccessarily mean your cat will pick up respiratory infections it in the future, although it is widely thought that this type of cat are more prone to respiratory infections.

Another thing which helped was putting the cat in the bathroom with the shower running and putting a few drops Olbas Oil in the basin with hot water at the same time. Whenever i had a shower i used to take the cat in the same room and he just used to sit there breathing in the Olbas oil with the steam, it sounds mad but it really helped clear his airways.

Dont worry this will clear up your cat will need lots of quiet and rest, dont change the medication unless really necessary the infection will clear up, it just takes a while and while its happening you never feel its never going to go away. I think my cat took about 3 weeks to be properly over it, although he never stopped playing even at the worst point, cats are such brave little things!

Will message you the name of antibiotic later.

Thinking of you

Anna and Dexter the cat!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say Coco had acold with severe asthma in 2005 and the orbax worked great for that.
She would cought green and yellow up.
She would also throw up from coughing so hard.
I never seen a cat with a cold that bad before.
Ask abou changing antibiotics.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your kitten have the flat face? If so it may be more than an upper respitory issue. I have two Himmies and both of them have had surgery on thier noses, one twice. I don't remember the name of the surgery but what happens in the flat face kitties is that the nostrils are often so small that with thier pushed in flat face they have a hard time breathing. The vet cuts a wedge on the nose to open the nostril. It sounds terrible but it isn't that bad. When they have this problem they are prone to more respitory problems and they are harder to clear up. You might want to check into that. One important thing is to not have the surgery until the infection clears up totally, it makes it worse. And also wait until they are a little older, if possible, it may get better or it may get worse. Mine both still snort and sound awful when they get too excited or stressed but thier health is so much better as they can breathe. You can see my girls on my Siggy to see how tiny thier nose and how flat the faces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulupink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
twokatz;2474742 said:
Does your kitten have the flat face? If so it may be more than an upper respitory issue. I have two Himmies and both of them have had surgery on thier noses, one twice.

Very flat I would say that her nose is inverted. I know they do this surgery on pugs but when I asked mt vet about doing it on that cat he said it was "cosmetic" and therefore they will not do it. I think that is silly. I am all for surgery. Looks I will be vet shopping. Thank you so much for your help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lulupink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
twokatz;2474742 said:
Does your kitten have the flat face? If so it may be more than an upper respitory issue. I have two Himmies and both of them have had surgery on thier noses, one twice.

Very flat I would say that her nose is inverted. I know they do this surgery on pugs but when I asked mt vet about doing it on that cat he said it was "cosmetic" and therefore they will not do it. I think that is silly. I am all for surgery. Looks I will be vet shopping. Thank you so much for your help.

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I breed Himalayans and no longer breed the extreme face (flat face) they tend to have health problems. I received more than one kitten back because of breathing issues. I now breed only doll face himi's. I would contact the breeder you got your little one from because she/he should have given you a health guarantee.
This is probably something you will deal with her whole life. But they can live long and healthy lives. But occasional infections are probably going to be normal. With everything pushed close together that is what usually happens. Some are more proned than others.
Good luck and you will learn to know when she is in trouble.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
wish i had some advice... but all i have are moggies, & they have normal noses [& problems
]. but i was wondering what part of Texas you're in?

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lulupink;2474994 said:
Originally Posted by twokatz

Yea, you need a new vet! We were going to try to wait until they were a year old but Sparky was so stressed over not breathing that she was having other health issues. All her energy went into staying alive and she kept getting bladder problems as the PH was out of whack from lack of oxygen. Don't let anyone tell you it is cosmetic! Other than the Tritrich. they have they have been healthy and done well since getting thier noses fixed and Sparky is a little terror