Washing Machine size?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a good size washing machine? Rob and I are looking at washers/dryers for when our house is finally done. We don't do laundry all that often (maybe once a week) so our loads are usually large. I've seen a lot of 4.0 cu.ft washers and 7.0 cu.ft dryers. I have no idea what size is common or good for larger loads of wash.

It seems on Lowe's site, one of the descriptions of a king-size capacity washer is 4.0 cu.ft. It's also a commonly listed size at Best Buy.

Any ideas or help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always go for the heavy duty machines since I wash my blankets and mattress covers as well as quilts so I need the power. Otherwise I would have to take them to a public laundromat.

That would be my recommendation.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I always go for the heavy duty machines since I wash my blankets and mattress covers as well as quilts so I need the power. Otherwise I would have to take them to a public laundromat.

That would be my recommendation.

I might add that you might want to look for a front loader. They are more efficient, and can usually hold more stuff. If I can't stuff a king sized thick mattress cover in the washer, I wouldn't buy it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I might add that you might want to look for a front loader. They are more efficient, and can usually hold more stuff. If I can't stuff a king sized thick mattress cover in the washer, I wouldn't buy it.
Good point. My next washer and dryer will both be front loading. I've also heard that the front loaders wash better.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Good point. My next washer and dryer will both be front loading. I've also heard that the front loaders wash better.
My sister works for Sears and gave me some insider information tonight. Their best front end washer/dryer is going on sale for about 50% off the day after Thanksgiving. I forgot what it's called, but its the one they put on their end cap display up on a platform - the first one you see when you walk up to that department.

Sssshhhh......don't tell anyone I told you this.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We bought a new washer and dryer earlier this year. We got a front loader, and while it has its advantages, there are things I don't like about it.

Of course, the main thing I dislike about them is the electronic control. The old washer was completely mechanical in control, and it was still working (although it needed a new timer). In looking through the on-line complaints, the most common front-loading complaint is electronic failure.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the top of the line Kenmore front loader. At the time we bought it, the model was called HE 3t. Its made by Whirlpool to Sears specifications. The matching dryer has a large capacity!! I think the claim to fame was it can hold 11 pairs of blue jeans. The clothes/towels are spin out faster so they are drier when you take them out.

I agree with Mike about the negative being all electronic controls vs dials on some top loaders. When I had the spin problem a couple of weeks ago though I did some internet surfing and fixed the problem myself. Being handy sort of people you will be able to do this too!!

You use alot less laundry soap. I have always liked powdered soap and I buy two boxes a year. And that is with two sometimes three loads a week!

I know that these can be stacked (seems scary to me though) and they ca be bought with optional platforms to raise the height. This from what I read is something American prefer vs European/UK front load owners.

One feature I reall like on mine is a delay cycle option. I can program the washing machine to delay cycle for up to 9 hrs so I can stick a load in before I go to sleep and its all done once I get up-its a real timesaver!!