Mmmmmm...... pie!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am pretty darn proud of myself. I haven't made pie from scratch in a couple of years. Guess it's like riding a bike.

So... I turned out one 9 inch and one 10 inch... and a little 5 in. pie that we devoured after dinner.

These are apple-cherry streusel top pies - Mom's recipe. Maybe I should send you guys some virtual forks.

Ooops! Hey, mods... looks like I accidentally posted this in the wrong place. Could you move? Thanks. AddieBee.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dottie made green tomato mincemeat today for pies at Christmas. I'll post the recipe, if anyone is interested.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Dottie made green tomato mincemeat today for pies at Christmas. I'll post the recipe, if anyone is interested.
I most certainly would be interested. My mom used to make mincemeat and I loved it but she used meat, oranges, apples, raisins and I'm not sure what else. I'd love to try the green tomato mincemeat.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm waiting for the fork! They look good enough to eat.

Did you make your own crust from scratch too?

klaidman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm waiting for my fork too please. they look really good. i think i should make a pie. hmmmmmm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm waiting for the fork! They look good enough to eat.

Did you make your own crust from scratch too?
Yes. I make the crust from scratch. It is a very old recipe that came off of a can of Spry - if you remember that.. .an old time competitor to Crisco solid shortening. It is a white shortening crust that when made right, absolutely just melts in your mouth. And is easy-peasy to make.

Two down, two more to go. My sister in law has already packed her fork! She, my brother and their 3 youngest kids are coming right AFTER the US Thanksgiving for a visit.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yes. I make the crust from scratch. It is a very old recipe that came off of a can of Spry - if you remember that.. .an old time competitor to Crisco solid shortening. It is a white shortening crust that when made right, absolutely just melts in your mouth. And is easy-peasy to make.

Two down, two more to go. My sister in law has already packed her fork! She, my brother and their 3 youngest kids are coming right AFTER the US Thanksgiving for a visit.
I don't remember Spry but I do use Crisco and butter for my pie crust and it's the same - it almost dissolves in the mouth and can take some working without getting tough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - here they are... sorry I don't know how to embed an image.