Banning Declawing in US

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't hurt to try but I wonder how much weight a petition organized by a group in the UK is going to have with the The American Veterinary Medical Association?? I'm sure they are already aware that the practice in banned in the UK and that hasn't influenced them.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Doesn't hurt to try but I wonder how much weight a petition organized by a group in the UK is going to have with the The American Veterinary Medical Association?? I'm sure they are already aware that the practice in banned in the UK and that hasn't influenced them.
True, but at least you can say that you've spoke on behalf of all the cats in the USA by signing, and who knows what may happen?.

I firmly believe that one day it will be illegal everywhere. And just looking at the number of members here at TCS who are against this procedure speaks volumes

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any group organizing a letter writing campaign? If everyone here writes their representatives (both state and federal), and gets all their cat loving friends to do the same, then the people who actually have the power to change the laws will be informed.

Heck, this could even be started here. Someone write up a form letter, then people take it, fill in the appropriate personalized info and send it off.

A petition on the internet isn't going to do anything if the lawmakers don't see it.

Here's some info from the CFA on grassroots letter writing - http://www.cfa.org/articles/legislat...ts-letter.html

As a disclaimer, I'm new to the whole kitty world, so I'm not sure if there's something organized like this. If there is, awesome, please post!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

A petition on the internet isn't going to do anything if the lawmakers don't see it.
I think the notion is to petition the AVMA to get them to come out against declawing first and that legislation would follow. That's how it happened in the UK. Their veterinary association (forget what it is called) came out against the practice very early on. The legislation came much later.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok then, maybe everyone who signs the petition should also write directly to the association? It's just that internet petitions are a dime a dozen and don't carry much weight in the grassroots movements I've been involved with.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It'd probably be better dealing with state and federal representatives, via nice individualized letters from the individual constituents, and as well as getting backing from major vet organizations in the US. Canned letters and petitions are a dime a dozen, and representatives tend to react better from ground roots actions from their own voters.