I'm a bad vegetarian!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to a mostly vegetarian diet back in May because I just couldn't afford to buy meat anymore with my disability income. I eat meat (burger or Chinese food) on occasion if I'm out, but I don't buy it or cook it at home.

I had some blood work done last week for work, and when I got there today there was an envelope for me with my blood work results. My hemoglobin is only 97 (normal is 130), so that explains why I've been feeling tired and short of breath more than usual.

It's a good thing that I'm going back on the payroll soon because I have to go back to eating some meat products a few times per week because iron pills make me sick to my stomach.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The iron pills do that to me also but I have severe anemia without them.
I do not really eat meat either.
This is my results when I found out I Anemic.
FERRITIN222-291 ng/mLComponent Your ValueStandard RangeTOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY496228-428 ug/dLIRON2035-160 ug/dLTOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY, UNSATURATED47692-365 ug/dLTRANSFERRIN415-55 % Results
Component Your ValueStandard RangeWBC COUNT7.83.5-12.5 K/uLRED BLOOD CELLS COUNT4.533.60-5.70 M/uLHGB9.111.5-15.0 g/dLHEMATOCRIT32.234.0-46.0 %MCV7180-100 fLRDW, RBC19.211.9-14.3 %PLATELETS COUNT474140-400 K/uL

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, you need to get some proteins in you, like red meat. Is there a doctor or a nutritionist that you can see?

You should not be feeling this way. Really, go to the doctor.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you eat for protein? When you're on a vegetarian diet you still have to have complete sources of protein. I'm not totally up on it but it includes whole grains + vegetable proteins such as peanut butter, soy beans and other legumes.

It's getting more and more expensive for groceries. I'm not on disability and I am having a hard time affording it so you're in good company! Most of all... you have to make sure you take care of yourself. Maybe you can get some help from food pantries in your area?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

What do you eat for protein? When you're on a vegetarian diet you still have to have complete sources of protein. I'm not totally up on it but it includes whole grains + vegetable proteins such as peanut butter, soy beans and other legumes.
This is key. You can't go into that type of diet without really understanding what a well balanced diet of that type is and following that. Beans, legumes, soy, fresh dark vegetables, whole grains like quinoa, barley, spelt, etc. nuts and seeds, etc. these things are critical. You can also get pure protein powder if you are having trouble meeting your requirements for you.
Everyone is different in their dietary needs and what they need will vary on many factors.

There are lots of ways to get proper amounts of healthy protein and iron in a vegetarian or non red meat (or pork, turkey, and chicken) diet.
I haven't eaten red meat or pork in decades and have been very healthy, I get full check ups, including blood yearly but when I gave up turkey and chicken, all processed meats be it at home or eating out, and all forms of soda (which I didn't think I ate much of those things anyway!) I noticed all my blood values became even better consistently.
I am not a vegetarian, most of my meals are though, but I still eat fish several times a month, at least once a week, and then some eggs,milk, and cheese in small amounts. Fruits and vegetables are eaten daily of course and are a large significant part of my diet.

The reason I am able to have such good results from my diet I believe is first of all I am healthy to begin with thankfully and to maintain that health for me and my family I have extensively studied up closer on my diet and the choices offered and was even healthier than before and had a better balanced diet.

I suggest anyone that is changing their diet or eating habits go to speak with a qualified dietitian or at least a nutritionist and read everything they can get their hands on, research and knowledge are the keys. I think everyone, regardless of diet they have chosen, would benefit from doing all of that anyway.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I eat meat (burger or Chinese food) on occasion if I'm out, but I don't buy it or cook it at home.

My hemoglobin is only 97 (normal is 130), so that explains why I've been feeling tired and short of breath more than usual.
Is there anyway you can go talk to someone like this, because you shouldn't be feeling the way you do and I am worried for you.

I wouldn't really call yourself vegetarian Natalie_Ca if you still eat red meat, as you said you do.
It just doesn't make any sense for the true definition of a real vegetarian. You are still buying and consuming meat sometimes when you are out.
I don't even call myself vegetarian, even though the only meat I eat is fish, I still eat some dairy and eggs.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suspect there's another reason for the anemia, since you aren't even a vegetarian. I think a trip to the doctor for follow up is in order as you need to find the cause, not just treat the symptoms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to see a doctor. I know it's because of my diet. I've been anemic in the past due to heavy periods related to my polycystic ovary. Currently that isn't a factor. I've never done well health wise on meatless diets. I've tried in the past with similar results, so it's unfortunate that I was forced into trying to do it again.

So far as my not being a vegetarian, I never claimed to be a strict one. My only reason for being vegetarian at home is a financial one. While I say I eat meat outside the home, it's only a burger or a plate of Chinese food, once or twice a month, so my diet is mostly a vegetarian one. The amount of meat I have in the month is not adequate for building hemoglobin.

Finances have also prevented me from purchasing foods such as soy products and nuts that are necessary for a balanced veggie diet, and I don't really like peanut butter.

I get my last disability cheque at the end of this month and I don't have to worry about squirreling money away for my nursing license like I have had to do for the past 4 months, so I'll have some extra money to put towards groceries. So I'll incorporate some red meat into my diet again and take some iron pills for a month or so and I'll be fine.

I've suspected I was anemic again but I've had tunnel vision about returning to work so I really didn't give it more than a passing thought. I'll have them repeat my blood work in January and my hemoglobin should be on the upswing by then.