Semi-moist food?

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a semi-moist food that I can feed my cat. He has been on wet food since his teeth went bad in 2005. I finally got them cleaned, but I have still given him wet food. I'd like to give him dry, but he just swallows it whole. Is there a good (i.e. no by-products) semi-moist food out there to feed him??

Thanks!

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can check out some of the pouches from Wellness or Nutro. They rely on gluten to retain their shape. Kibble has no benefit to oral health due to the way the feline's mouth is designed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

You can check out some of the pouches from Wellness or Nutro. They rely on gluten to retain their shape. Kibble has no benefit to oral health due to the way the feline's mouth is designed.
But, he doesn't chew the kibble, he just eats it whole.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't actually chew their kibble (like people chew) so you are fine still giving it as long as kitty wants it. Lots of cats without teeth still eat kibble just fine.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine swallowed his dry food whole and then would vomit. That's when I realized he would do better on all wet food.

If he eats well and is doing well on all wet food there is no reason to add dry food back to his diet. I am not sure that there is a semi moist cat food. The pouches have chunks and gravy. There are other brands like Merrick, Avoderm, etc that have the chunks and gravy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the semi moist foods currently avail are sugar ladened , artificial color ladened and mostly grain...

try a senior food as most are softer

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

One of mine swallowed his dry food whole and then would vomit. That's when I realized he would do better on all wet food.

If he eats well and is doing well on all wet food there is no reason to add dry food back to his diet. I am not sure that there is a semi moist cat food. The pouches have chunks and gravy. There are other brands like Merrick, Avoderm, etc that have the chunks and gravy.
That's what sometimes would happen with Whisky. The moist food would mainly be for when I go away for a few days, so his wet food wouldn't go bad in the feeder.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

the semi moist foods currently avail are sugar ladened , artificial color ladened and mostly grain...

try a senior food as most are softer
I'll look at the senior foods as he is 15 now. Thanks!

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you're looking for a moister dry food, but I've found that Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul makes a canned food that is actually on the dry side, compared to most pates. Yanno how cooked ground beef can be moist, yet dry at the same time? That's kinda the consistency, though compressed... if that makes any sense. Dunno if that would be something you were interested in.