hmm should I make some cornbread?

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm making chili right now and it still has about 2 hours to go. I'm debating on if I should run back to the store to make some cornbread to go with it. I don't have cornmeal here at the house, that's mainly what I'm missing. I just need someone to give me the motivation to go back to the store and tell me that I desperately need cornbread with my chili LOL.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you should!

Here is my recipe:

1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of cornmeal
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup of vegetable oil.

Mix the cornmeal and milk together and let it sit.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.

Pour in milk mixture, add the egg and melted butter Mix well.

Pour into a greased 9 x 9 square pan and bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.

I doctor it up with the following:

substituted melted butter for the vegetable oil
added: 2 tsp of curry powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp of cajun seasoning, 1/2 green pepper (diced). I also sprinkled the top with cajun seasoning before baking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think that recipe had way too much corn. won't be making that one again. I might have to try the one above next time.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mom makes the best cornbread ever. She doesnt use any sugar in it and its sooooooo good, with crispy edges.

I have NEVER had cornbread with chili. Is that a normal side item with it? I always have crusty bread or crackers with mine.