Does anyone feed their cats Wellness food?

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to feed my cats Wellness, both the dry and canned but the place I bought it from has stopped carrying it. They stated that since it was one of the foods on the cat food recall list last year (is she correct?), and since this company is now somehow affiliated with a company that makes candy (or maybe both are now made in the same plant?)....that they just don't want to take a chance so they've decided not to carry it any longer. (i think what she was getting at was that there was a fear that the 'quality' might no longer be there?) They're a shop that sells only high-end, premium cat food.

Other stores, however, do sell Wellness.

My cats really liked it and I thought it was good quality food..........but I'm afraid now to feed it to them again?

Do others here feed their cats Wellness?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have recently started feeding mine the grain free canned and Wellness CORE dry (also grain free). She loves it!

I get mine at PetCo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahh, I didn't know about CORE, I just went to their website and read up on it. That's awesome that it's grain-free........but my only concern is that it's so high in protein content. Would this be a problem for cats with aging kidneys? My oldest, Tigger (16 yrs) - her kidneys are borderline CRF.

My understanding is that cats w/ CRF should avoid high protein diets......but then I'd also heard that it matters more that it's a high quality protein so I'm not sure which is the case?

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yikes! i hope neither of those things are true.....
I feed my cats wellness canned and dry, as well as orijens.

They love the wellness and are doing really fantastic on it......

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please avoid foods with multiple grains and I do NOT recommend senior cats eat any dry( I had a CRF cat on a HIGH HIGH protein diet of canned and raw numbers were better and she was more lively than on the "low" protein dry)... Feel free to PM me ...

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was in my local pet store today and found Wellness Core wet food!!! Will see what the kitties think of it.

Saw another new, to me, canned food....Wenaewe....made from organic grass fed beef....its ingredients look super.....made from 100% organic fresh human grade ingredients.

Although there is a warning on the label....'Do not feed any other animal except cats, this product'

It's from Uruguay.....any one else heard of this food??

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I do not think Wellness was every recalled. Although the formula has changed from time to time, I think the quality is the same as iut has always been. Although not the greatest price, i buy my wellness now at petdirect when the prices are 22% off. You can also call the company every month for coupons and they will send.
As far as dry food, you know from the diabetes. Since crf is dehydrating, and dry food dehydrates. I wouldnever consider it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Hi

I do not think Wellness was every recalled. Although the formula has changed from time to time, I think the quality is the same as iut has always been. Although not the greatest price, i buy my wellness now at petdirect when the prices are 22% off. You can also call the company every month for coupons and they will send.
As far as dry food, you know from the diabetes. Since crf is dehydrating, and dry food dehydrates. I wouldnever consider it
Very well put mind if I use that line

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wellness was not on the recall list. It's made by a company called Old Mother Hubbard. Perhaps you are thinking of Mars, who make chocolates such as M&M's, was on the recall list.

My holistic vet highly recommends Wellness. Unfortunately, my cats don't like it because it is too healthy for their junky palates.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness was never part of those recalls, thankfully. My senior cats have been eating Wellness grain-free canned (but not not core) for several years and they've done very well on it. You can check the FDA.gov web site if you have any concerns about a recall. As everyone here has said, canned is much healthier than dry for senior cats. Mine get some dry left out for them to nibble on between meals to keep their weight up, but most of their food intake is canned (they get fed canned 2-3 times/day). The dry they nibble isn't core though, because I have the same fears about super-high protein in a dry food.

I switched my oldest 3 over to a kidney diet last year, but they have gotten picky about their food & won't eat it consistently. My vet said it's vital that they eat enough to maintain their weight, so if they won't eat enough of the prescription food it's OK for them to have the Wellness. I've pretty much gone back to feeding them Wellness most of the time, since the oldest one seems to eat better & have more energy on it. I also give them the grain-free types of Fancy Feast cans occasionally if they get tired of the Wellness and want some variety. My oldest dropped some weight last year and got skinny, but she's putting it back on now that I'm feeding her what she wants. Of course, since your cat is borderline CRF be sure to get your own vet's OK for what you want to feed.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one cat who has feline herpes, which is the one I got the Wellness for. She loves it. She loves almost any kind of food, though!
My older cat has kidney issues, so she's on a special food for that. She does get just a dab of the canned Wellness along with some raw chicken and a dash of pumpkin twice a day, though. She's doing great!

For CRF kitties, you want to avoid foods high in phosphorous. For herpes, you want to avoid foods with grains. It's hard to keep them out of each other's food, so I have to be very diligent about feeding and picking up leftover food.

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a cat get a UTI from Wellness dry?

Alpine was diagnosed with a bladder infection (urine tapped directly from bladder had bacteria) yesterday. For the last 3 weeks, we had been transitioning her from Purina ProPlan dry to Wellness chicken dry. She was probably at 75% Wellness when we noticed a slight drop in appetite. Then 2 days ago, we found a small amount of blood/mucus in her urine piles in the litter. Anyway, the vet said she's had several other cats who have had UTI's that could be traced back to eating Wellness dry. The vet wants Alpine to go back to the ProPlan for now, and possibly try another transition in the future.

FYI, Alpine only gets a small amount of dry food a day, but we need her to have it in case we're not home and miss a feeding. As for stress possibly being a cause, we couldn't think of anything lately that would stress her out. I'm just bummed that switching to a healthier food has apparently caused more harm than good.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found (thanks to Sharky), that while Wellness Core is a good all round food, there is enough fish in it that it isn't the best choice if you have a cat with FLUTD type problems. The fish isn't good for cats with bladder problems. I had been feeding it to them for a while, but as my Muddy's FLUTD got worse, I had to take them off of it.

sunshne880

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just switched over to Wellness about a week ago and both my cats love it! My male cat is very picky with food and he loves every flavor we've tried so far. I am very pleased with the product, however, not so pleased with the price...

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Panther on a diet of Wellness CORE and Wellness wet since I got her a few months ago and she loves it. I haven't had any problems with Wellness at all except that Panther doesn't like some of the wet flavors (with seafood). Keep in mind that Wellness has regular dry food and CORE and from what I could see on the nutrition comparison the regular Wellness dry is not much better than a lot of other cheaper dry foods. Of course this is just my impression, I'm certainly not an expert on cat nutrition.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I found (thanks to Sharky), that while Wellness Core is a good all round food, there is enough fish in it that it isn't the best choice if you have a cat with FLUTD type problems. The fish isn't good for cats with bladder problems. I had been feeding it to them for a while, but as my Muddy's FLUTD got worse, I had to take them off of it.
Which dry food did you switch to?

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 9-yr old male kitty eats Wellness Indoor dry. Been feeding about six months, no problems at all. I wish he would eat Wellness canned, but no such luck, so we do various other brands of wet.

deuxnoirchats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by DogStar5988

from what I could see on the nutrition comparison the regular Wellness dry is not much better than a lot of other cheaper dry foods. Of course this is just my impression, I'm certainly not an expert on cat nutrition.
Just a quick note on this...while the nutritional information is very important, it is the ingredients where you will see the signs of quality. Cheaper foods tend to contain meat by-products and a lot of fillers. With any food, I would suggest doing as much research as possible, for most of us, there is a lot to learn.

While I have not been able to find information regarding the recent changes at Old Mother Hubbard/Wellness, I did hear that they were not for the better. In light of all of the recalls, I decided to switch from Wellness & Eagle Pack to Orijen (a higher protien, low carb food similar to CORE)