keep tape on?

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat went in for her hematoma surgery and we were told to keep the surgical tape on her ear for at least 4 days. well, we got her home and she took it off the first night. We put new tape on it today, but she took it back off immediately just by shaking her head.
Does anyone have any tips on keeping the tape on her ear? We do have a really big crate we could keep her in if it would help to reduce the chances of her getting it off...

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Geez, that's a tough one. I'd thought of an E-Collar but if the tape comes off just from kitty shaking her head, an E-Collar wouldn't help with that. You might want to call up the clinic and ask what they suggest re: her shaking head and tape subsequently falling off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Geez, that's a tough one. I'd thought of an E-Collar but if the tape comes off just from kitty shaking her head, an E-Collar wouldn't help with that. You might want to call up the clinic and ask what they suggest re: her shaking head and tape subsequently falling off.
Thanks. I will give them a call tomorrow (hope they're open).

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure about your vet clinic but lots around here, if it's outside of regular hours, their voicemail message leaves directions on who to contact in the event of an emergency. I know at my clinic, they have an answering machine and some of the vet techs take turns calling in for the messages left and determine if it's an emergency. If it's not, they'll at least call you and try to advise to the extent that they can. If not, I don't see why you couldn't call up a different clinic; just explain the type of surgery done and the situation, that your clinic is closed. If they're decent they should be able to make some suggestions? Barring that, I guess you could call up an Emerg Clinic if there's one in your area, tonight, and ask for some suggestions from them. That's definitely a difficult area to keep tape on!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Not sure about your vet clinic but lots around here, if it's outside of regular hours, their voicemail message leaves directions on who to contact in the event of an emergency. I know at my clinic, they have an answering machine and some of the vet techs take turns calling in for the messages left and determine if it's an emergency. If it's not, they'll at least call you and try to advise to the extent that they can. If not, I don't see why you couldn't call up a different clinic; just explain the type of surgery done and the situation, that your clinic is closed. If they're decent they should be able to make some suggestions? Barring that, I guess you could call up an Emerg Clinic if there's one in your area, tonight, and ask for some suggestions from them. That's definitely a difficult area to keep tape on!
Yeah the above

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buster had a hematoma surgery in 2002 and did the same behavior. I put an e-collar on him too but he took it off. I had no choice but to leave him at the hospital for several days, where they could monitor him. I work long hours and couldn't supervise him. I didn't want the stitches to get infected.