Cat Chewing Wood Furniture

catlover812

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 month old cat is chewing the corners off all my furniture. I am at a loss about what to do. I clap my hands if I catch him, but he doesn't respond. He chews on lots of other things, too, but mostly wood. Any ideas?

lazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi catlover812,
Chewing on non-food items can be a condition called pica - and this may need attention by a qualified behaviorist that has to see the cat and his physical and social/emotional environment to suggest a treatment plan. It may be a result of boredom, insufficient appropriate stimuli, an attention seeking behavior and more.
But before you go down that path - have your cat checked by a vet: there might be teeth and gum problems, or a dietary deficiency at the background of the behavior.
What other items does he chew on - and when?
Marta

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Forest at 9 months when I adopted him chewed on wiring. He ruin a few things. I went out and bought bitter apple, just like I bought it for my puppy when he was a puppy. Forest doesn't chew on wires anymore.

We also have catnip sticks for the cats to chew on. They seem to like those.

I would agree and makes sure it's not a health problem as well.

peterpoemercado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover812

My 9 month old cat is chewing the corners off all my furniture. I am at a loss about what to do. I clap my hands if I catch him, but he doesn't respond. He chews on lots of other things, too, but mostly wood. Any ideas?
Maybe you could try to paint bitter stuff on the wood.

dsajill1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This appears to be a classic frustrated animal. Is the cat home alot alone (including when everyone is sleeping). Dogs tied up and neglected chew things, cats left during vacations repeatedly, chew things. Dogs who don't get enough exersize, chew things. Look at the personality of the cat. If it is a playful, fun cat, it may need another cat as a playmate/friend (although this is tricky with cats). It is looking for stimulation in its life. Animals don't have to many options to complain when they are unhappy. They sometimes engage in self destructive behavior, sometimes they destroy other things. Once a bad habit is established, it can be hard to break, but you need to start with finding out why the cat is unhappy and correcting this situation. Then if correcting the situation doesn't break the habit, that is step two. Good luck!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover812

Have you tried bitter apple?
Put something over the couches, like plastic wrap
Does your cat have cat trees and outlets for playing/chewing and all of that?