Ordering flowers out of town

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do you go about doing this??

In the past I've called a local florist before who arranged it, called a florist in the town I needed, and I've used the FTD website. I'm not sure which method I like the most though, so I thought I'd see if anyone on here has any advice or tips on this??

My Grandmother's 90th birthday is coming up in a week and I want to do something special since I live too far away to celebrate it in person with her and the family. I'm thinking she'd love flowers and maybe a baloon or two. I just want to get the best ones I can!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't know any of the florist in that town, or anyone who can recommend them, then your option is pretty much to just go with a bigger company to arrange it.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom and my grandmother used 1-800-Flowers to send us flowers for our wedding, since she was in NY and we were in FL at the time (they were gorgeous!). I'd stick with the bigger companies unless you're familiar with the local florist - the big guys all guarantee their flowers as far as I know.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had flowers sent to my aunts funeral last month from a out of town place and it worked out well. We looked at the website then phoned the order in.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a local florist you know and trust, you will be able to see approx. the size of the arrangement. They will have another florist from the location you are sending it to make it though.

Happy Birthday to your Grandma!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents live a couple of hours away and I always use the same florist in the town they live and call them directly.

When they lived in las vegas for a few years my sis found a good florist while visiting them and we used them exclusively.

Are you familiar with any florist in your grandmothers home town?? Or do you know specifically what you want? Just flowers or flowers and a vase (the vases are usually pretty blah though I would rather have the extra $$ on flowers. What are her fav flowers/colors??

If you call a florist in the town she lives in you can avoid a FTD type fee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

My parents live a couple of hours away and I always use the same florist in the town they live and call them directly.

When they lived in las vegas for a few years my sis found a good florist while visiting them and we used them exclusively.

Are you familiar with any florist in your grandmothers home town?? Or do you know specifically what you want? Just flowers or flowers and a vase (the vases are usually pretty blah though I would rather have the extra $$ on flowers. What are her fav flowers/colors??

If you call a florist in the town she lives in you can avoid a FTD type fee.
I do know the florist that my family has used for years and years. I think I may just give them a call, but we had a bad experience with them back when gas had first gone up to $2 something. They didn't want to go 10 miles to deliver an arrangement to one of my Great Aunt's Funerals.
It turned out at the time that I got a better deal by going through a local florist here. But from the looks of their website, they are about equal as far as what I'd get for my money now.

I'm thinking I'm going for something cheerful with a small teddy bear attached. Her favorite color is green, so I think pinks and yellows would be nice with the green foliage. And Gram will put the teddy on the back of one of the couches in her living room I am sure. I might do a balloon too, but I know Gram will have it around for months on end and refuse to throw it away. That drives my Aunt and Cousin nuts, but they may just have to deal with it! (They take care of my Grandparents, and my cousin just moved in with them.)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FTD and Teleflora are both pretty good. You can go to a local shop that is a member and look through their books and find an arrangement you like then they can call the out of state shop and have them make one similar to it.
As a florist, those are the two I like best. Also, when they're members of those companies, you can be pretty sure that their work is going to be decient quality and pretty uniform throughout.

Now keep in mind whatever you pick out, if they don't have it in stock, they might substitute with something else, but they will try to get it as close to what you want as possible.

You don't have to go straight by the book- if you have an idea of what you want you can always just call and describe it....but the thing is what you might think up in your head someone else may interperate differently, so that's when it's good to have a book you can look at and order from like in the instance of FTD or Teleflora