How old is your home?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The building I live in is 81 years old. Sure there are some problems, but overall she's a sturdy old girl with tons of charm.

How old is your house, or the building you live in?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
house built in 1998 the joys of settling

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have no idea how old the house is, the only information I know is that is was built in the post-war years (after the 1940's)

It's been through quite a lot too, involving floods and even the storm we had in 1987.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an old Victorian House that must be about 100 years old. It's a great old house and I rent the 3rd floor. In older houses of coarse there are always a few issues but I love my place and wouldn't change it for the world. It has a lot of character.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Comparative, looks like we're in a newer home.
Built in 1983. It's holding up well...except for the appliances that we had to replace when we moved in 3 years ago that were original.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our house is part of a development that was built in the last of the '50s, so about 50 years old. There have been some pretty ham-handed modifications done over that time, but on the whole, it's pretty good. We rent, so the impact of "house issues" is limited to inconvenience for the most part, but even so, there's not been much in the 18 years we've been there. It's good enough that if we were in a position to buy in that area, I'd seriously consider this one. 'Course then, I'd also want to do some serious renos, but I think it would be worth the effort. Not holding my breath, though.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our house is over 100 years old, we're not sure of its exact age. It is beginning to show its age, and seems to create dust at an alarming rate

valanhb- appliances only 22 years old?!

The cooker we have, a New World 33 (the one on the right) is at least 48 years old, and worked perfectly until a week ago when the oven stopped working. We're now limited to a hob and grill until we buy a new cooker.

They built things to last in the 50s

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our house was built in 1981, hubby moved in straight away, I followed in 1984. We've acquired a bit of extra land since then at the back, so have a nice big garden for a modern house. It's a good solid building and both of our children have grown up here, so it holds lots of lovely memories

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
According to our property office, ours was built in the 1890's. Our neighbour confirmed that its one of the oldest on the street and that the owners built his house (next door nto ours) for thier adult son that they lost in WW1.

It has a few layout quirks that make alot more sense when you consider what they must have originally used for. You can go into the crawlspace and see the original wood shingles over the kitchen that were sealed into the roof when it became an actual addition instead of just a summer kitchen. When we gutted the bathroom we found that our "studs" are actually raw lumber (approx 6x6") and out kitchen floor dips a bit in the middle where it used to be an open grate to the (long since replaced) coal furnace in the basement. it also has alot of the original door frames and mouldings, which are just gorgeous
. Oddly enough, it's one silent house. the bedrooms are loft-style right under the roof and I have yet to hear the rain or wind unless it's hitting the window straight on.

We just have to be cautious of renovations since we never know what we'll find when we open it up.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in a brownstone apartment building that was built in the 1930's. It has great art-deco style light fixtures, doorknobs, etc. and is very well-maintained. My only complaint is that the old radiator heat system is hard to control. Oh, and my bathroom sink is the original sink- with seperate fixtures for hot and cold. Some call that "charming."

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I currently live in a house built in 1972. We still have an original harvest gold toilet and brown marble countertop in the bathroom.

Before that, we lived for 13 years in a house built in 1884. We had an abstract that came with the house that dated the land purchase to 1842 (original documents). It was part of a much larger farm that was parcelled out over the years. As an old house it had its issues, but that house will probably be standing long after my current house. It actually withstood a tornado.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This house was built in 1997.

We once lived in a house in PA built in the 1860's. Glad I don't have to keep that thing up!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think my home is 10-12 years old. But it's a mobile home, and so I'll second that aging in dog years comment. Plus it was reposessed by the bank from some people that didn't care for it, so it needed work when DH bought it in 2002.

I've always thought I could enjoy living in an old home. They just don't come with the same character these days.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is over 200 years old, and parts may be 300. It is an old farm cottage plus a barn, in a sort of L shape, built of stone held together with traditional lime mortar, which I am now replacing as it is not weathertight. There are no foundations, so I have had it all pinned together as I did the floors, and some buttressing put on the outside. Old houses have charm, but can be hard to maintain.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in an ex-farmhouse built in the 1930's in the middle of what used to be an orchard. I heard that the fruit was for sailors coming into Odgen Point about a block away. We still have apple, cherry, and plum trees and one pear tree.

Evidently before that, this land used to be a swamp.

We have two big holes in the living room ceiling right now where the repair guys are resealing some pipe that was leaking. The house needs constant upkeep. Plus side is the kitchen is huge!

I love this place but sometimes I'd really like to have a new house with charm!