CleverCat litter box

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that last weekend when I was at Petsmart...the price was the first thing that hit me!But I wasn't sure if mine would like the change all that much.I also saw one that was rounded on the top and had steps leading into the main body of the box...a bit way out for my kids I think!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd make one out of a rubbermaid--just cut a hole in the lid--much cheaper. (there's a thread about this from about 6 months ago)

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just make one price will be about 7$ vs 40

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you make/purchase one, place your cat in the box, they'll get the idea. The only downside to making your own is you lose out on the textured top which cuts down on tracking. With the CleverCat your cat has to climb on top of the box to exit, any litter on the paws will fall off on top of the box. A cat's first step out of a traditional litter box is on the floor, and any litter on the paws will remain on the floor.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

If you make/purchase one, place your cat in the box, they'll get the idea. The only downside to making your own is you lose out on the textured top which cuts down on tracking. With the CleverCat your cat has to climb on top of the box to exit, any litter on the paws will fall off on top of the box. A cat's first step out of a traditional litter box is on the floor, and any litter on the paws will remain on the floor.
I have had both and neither had issues with litter coming out or the cat not understanding to go in YMMV

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sister-in-law has one of these for her cat, which she used when they were staying with us...
It did seem to cut down on the tracking.

If you do decide to make one, I do have a caution...The lid on the clever cat is not only textured, but made of a very "rigid" plastic. The lids on most storage containers are quite flimsy. If you are planning on making one yourself, make sure that you buy a storage tub that has a really sturdy lid so that the cat won't think it's going to "cave" when they step on it.

Art

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FuzMugly

The only downside to making your own is you lose out on the textured top which cuts down on tracking.
I "solved" that problem by placing a rubber tracking mat on the lid myself.

Worked like a charm.

The Clevercat box got too small too quickly, so I resorted to making my own bigger one with a rubbermaid.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw the home-made version on this site about 6 months ago, and last month I decided to make one. I got a really big storage bin with locking handles on the sides. This made it so the top can't pop off when kitty jumps out, and the bigger ones had sturdier tops as mentioned. I also put a track-free mat on top. In all it cost me $14.
I have three cats that all use the same box, and they liked it immediately. I kept the old box available (just in case
) but they preferred the big box.
The reason I made the box was to keep my daughter's beagle from eating out of the box! She got a terrible urinary infection from eating cat litter.
This worked great for everyone!
Thank you to the original poster of the home-made box!