Pain Med question

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Roxy's spay went wonderfully but I have a question about the meds she was sent home with. The vet gave her Butorphanol and Pet-Tinic. They gave us a needleless suringe(sp) to administer it orally with the dosage being .7ml 2-3 times a day, starting tomorrow. What I want to know is how do we know if she is in pain since cats hide the pain so well. We will give her the first dose when we get up but how long does it last? Should we just be on a schedual and do it at a certain time or just wait and see how she does through out the day. Also will it make her all tipsy like, the meds they sent her home on make her walk like someone who has had one to many drinks. Will it just help her sleep?

I am just so glad it went well and that she seems good. She ate a bit of wet food and has peed. I don't know if she has had any water yet. We did water her wet food down to more of a soup consistancy just to make sure she gets water. Other than that she seems to be sleepy, still has a big purr when we are with her. Whe DH comes into the room she tries to act all tough like she can handle the pain. She gets up and walks around. Its quite cute, she wants so badly to look like a big girl to her daddy.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the same med Coco has had for bladder pain and arthitis.
My cats never got any pain meds when they got fixed.
Its hard to say if your cat will need the meds.
Cats do hide pain well.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pet Tinic is a dietary supplement. Butorphanol is a pain reliever, but is "short lasting, especially in cats" according to the Pet Education website. There is also some information on these websites.......Our Buddy was recently on a pain-reliever after his neutering, but he is finished the dosage and I cannot recall the name of it right now.

http://www.2ndchance.info/pain.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butorphanol

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was given the same med for my cats after spay. I have never had pain meds before but I tryed it cause I was told to. After a day we decided that Sparky would not be getting any more, she felt too good
She was running around and trying to jump so we wanted her to feel a little pain so she would chill out
Lani had a reaction to the stitches which caused swelling, fever and more pain so we gave it to her for 3 days. Best to judge for yourself how much is enough and if they need it, you will know even though they do hide pain you can tell.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were never given pain meds for our cats after a spay or neuter. It's good IMO for them to have a bit of pain so they don't overdo things and pull out stitches or do themselves harm. When I had a hysterectomy I didn't take pain meds either - just let myself heal while lying around in bed.
Well, not entirely true, they kept making me get up and move around. It was uncomfortable but not mind-numbing pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just had to give her some. We were going to wait and see if she needed it and try to just give it to her before bed to help her sleep. When I just went to see her though she cried a little when I pet her and looked up at me with this "I hurt mommy, help me" look. So I gave her the recomended amount and she seems happier now. She took it very well, she did not struggle at all. I am amazed, I was expecting a fight. I guess she knows that it will help her and knew it needed to be done.

She is so cute. It makes me sad though because she looks so little and helpless now. I know she will look better in a few days but right now she just looks so sad. Plus they shaved her cute belly curls. I hope she gets those back and it does not come in straight. The curls were so cute.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If in doubt, follow the vets recommended dosage for the pain meds. Start with 3 times a day for a few days then back down to 2 times a day. Pain meds work the best when they don't wear off between doses, as its always hardest to control the pain when full blown. Personally, I don't like pain and don't want to see any of mine in pain either.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola was sent home with 3 days worth of pain medication after her spay. We gave it to her. At first we were unsure, so we gave her the first dose and decided if she didn't react well we'd discontinue it. It definitely seemed to help her, so we gave the remaining doses as prescribed. I don't like to be in pain, and I don't want my kitties in pain either. Lola's was a once-a-day dosage.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have any questions about the pain meds, you might call the vet.

My boy was recently hospitalized with subcutaneous emphysema, and when he came home, he had pain meds with instructions for 2x a day, morning and night, so I gave them at about 7 am and 7 pm. I would not wait to see if the cat "needs" the meds because it can be impossible to tell when they're experiencing discomfort.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd go ahead and keep giving her the pain meds until she seems to be acting more "normal." We had our boy neutered, and asked for pain meds for him...so they gave him the first dose and he came home acting totally normal...except for being hungry and starved for attention. So we didn't give him the next 2 doses, and he was fine. We got the girls spayed a little later, and didn't ask for pain meds since Max had done so well on his own. But when they came home from the vet, they were obviously in alot of pain and needing more rest. So we gave each of them a dose of the meds, and let them sleep it off. After that they seemed much better. Hope she heals up quickly!

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

I'd go ahead and keep giving her the pain meds until she seems to be acting more "normal." We had our boy neutered, and asked for pain meds for him...so they gave him the first dose and he came home acting totally normal...except for being hungry and starved for attention. So we didn't give him the next 2 doses, and he was fine. We got the girls spayed a little later, and didn't ask for pain meds since Max had done so well on his own. But when they came home from the vet, they were obviously in alot of pain and needing more rest. So we gave each of them a dose of the meds, and let them sleep it off. After that they seemed much better. Hope she heals up quickly!
I love the picture of your cat with the corn. It's good to know there are other cats that like corn cobs. When I was a kid my cat used to raid the garden and hide them under mom's bed, I just thought she was weird! Didn't make my mom happy either!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She seemed to get a bit hyper when the meds fully kicked in, like she could not feel the pain and had a ton of pent up energy. I can understand that, it did not last long, about 20 minutes then she was out. We plan to give her some more before bed, she still seems like she hhas pain.

One question, when should she poop? She has peed but thats it. She is eating everything we put in front of her and seems to drink water. When should I start to worry? I know after surgery in humans it may be a few days before we poop, is it the same in cats? For some reason Monkey seemed fine, at least thats what I remember.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

One question, when should she poop? She has peed but thats it. She is eating everything we put in front of her and seems to drink water. When should I start to worry? I know after surgery in humans it may be a few days before we poop, is it the same in cats? For some reason Monkey seemed fine, at least thats what I remember.
If the pain meds are narcotics, they can make her a bit constipated. You could try a little bit of canned pumpkin in her food to her stimulate her to poop.