Cat has diarrhea and peed on bed

lauraetco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
I bought a year-old bengal female a week and a half ago. She is not spayed or declawed. Since I've had her, she has been having mushy and frequent pooh in her litterbox. I assumed it was a result of getting used to a new home...although, she seems to be adjusting well, otherwise (no hiding, no crying, etc.). Today, she sat down near me on my bed and went pee. Why would a cat pee on a bed? It is a behaviour? Do you think it has to do with the move? Could she have been mad at me for not coming home until 7:30am? I noticed her litter box was full (of mushy poo). Do you think it was too dirty for her to use it? I thought I'd check on here and get everyone's opinion before I spend a fortune on a vet bill.
Thanks

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS
! There are some Bengal experts and owners that can give you some great guidance and advice here. May I ask why she isn't spayed? You mentioned you "bought" her recently, did you receive any medical history from prior veterinarian? The symptoms you have described can definitely be a sign of stress and adjustment, however also could be symptoms of a pre-existing medical condition. Her peeing along side of you on the bed could be medical, stress, dirty litter box, hormonal...........

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the soft stool, are you feeding her the same food the breeder was? A change in food can cause various digestive problems. If you're sure it isn't food related she must be checked for parasites before you do anything else. Have you asked the breeder if she had soft stools before you got her? My bengal had soft stools for the first 1 1/2 years of her life until I started adding a prebiotic/probiotic/digestive enzyme supplement (Eagle Pack Holistic Solution) to her food. That fixed her up.

As for the peeing, I don't know unless her box was too dirty. You should scoop it at least twice a day. Some cats won't use a dirty box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauraetco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Hello and welcome to TCS
! There are some Bengal experts and owners that can give you some great guidance and advice here. May I ask why she isn't spayed? You mentioned you "bought" her recently, did you receive any medical history from prior veterinarian? The symptoms you have described can definitely be a sign of stress and adjustment, however also could be symptoms of a pre-existing medical condition. Her peeing along side of you on the bed could be medical, stress, dirty litter box, hormonal...........
Hi thanks for getting back to me.
I don't know why she isn't spayed. My guess is that the first people who had her, wanted to breed her. She is a beautiful cat. So I'm told, her first owners had her for nine months and then got rid of her when they had a baby. The guy who I bought her from, who had her for three months, needed to get rid of her because she didn't get along with his other cat. I considered that there might be something I wasn't told but the guy seemed to be really genuine. He didn't have any medical history but he did say that she won't need her yearly check-up until March...I've decided to call a vet tomorrow and make an appointment.
BTW, she peed on my bed again yesterday. So, as of now, she's done it twice and both times, it was when I was on the bed.

lauraetco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

As for the soft stool, are you feeding her the same food the breeder was? A change in food can cause various digestive problems. If you're sure it isn't food related she must be checked for parasites before you do anything else. Have you asked the breeder if she had soft stools before you got her? My bengal had soft stools for the first 1 1/2 years of her life until I started adding a prebiotic/probiotic/digestive enzyme supplement (Eagle Pack Holistic Solution) to her food. That fixed her up.

As for the peeing, I don't know unless her box was too dirty. You should scoop it at least twice a day. Some cats won't use a dirty box.
Hi,
I am feeding her the same food as the pervious owner was...unless I got it wrong. He said it was the all natural Iams. Are there two kinds of all natural Iams? What I bought has orange writing on the bag. Hopefully the vet can figure out what the problem is. I will ask her previous owner if she had soft stool when he had her.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauraetco

Hi thanks for getting back to me.
I don't know why she isn't spayed. My guess is that the first people who had her, wanted to breed her. She is a beautiful cat. So I'm told, her first owners had her for nine months and then got rid of her when they had a baby. The guy who I bought her from, who had her for three months, needed to get rid of her because she didn't get along with his other cat. I considered that there might be something I wasn't told but the guy seemed to be really genuine. He didn't have any medical history but he did say that she won't need her yearly check-up until March...I've decided to call a vet tomorrow and make an appointment.
BTW, she peed on my bed again yesterday. So, as of now, she's done it twice and both times, it was when I was on the bed.
Wow, it sounds like shes been through a lot! My first suggestion would be to have her spayed for health and behavioral issues. It is very hard on kitties to not only change homes, but change care givers. You mentioned the guy you bought her from said he had to find her a new home due to not getting along with his other kitty. Of course hes not going to tell you the worst of the situation, he needs to find her a new home. So you don't really know how or what happened, just that she is very stressed out and this is probably the cause of her runny stool along with hormones, the peeing issues.
Talk to your vet and make sure you explain her history to the best of your knowledge. to both of you to a quick but healthy fix!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please go to the vet ...Did she have a health certificate??

Iams naturals is a brown bag ( beige ) ... Regular Iams is a orange bag ...

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please contact the man you bought her from and confirm that you're feeding her the exact same food he did, ask him the exact name of it, what color bag was it (the least he could have done was given you some!) - it's possible you're not feeding the same type of Iams and the loose stools are due to a sudden diet change.

Definitely take her to the Vet tomorrow if you can. Stress could have caused her to develop a urinary tract infection and this is something that will not go away without proper antibiotics.

Lastly, you'll need to properly clean your bedding and mattress.......to remove all traces of urine or else she'll continue to pee there. Cats have a very very acute sense of smell and even if we can't still smell it, they often still can - and if they smell it, they'll continue to pee there. Make sure you wash your bedding with hot water and bleach (color safe bleach if needed). And if the pee went through to your mattress, you'll need to clean your mattress with a proper "enzymatic cleaner" like Nature's Miracle...........nothing else will remove all traces of the urine smell (to her). You should be able to buy this at any major pet supply store, like PetsMart, etc.

Don't delay in taking her to the Vet, these issues will not just go away on their own and nobody here can tell you for sure what's causing them..........and the longer she has loose stools and is peeing outside of her litterbox, the worse she could be getting......and she could become dehydrated from having the diarrhea.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'd take her to the vet for a thorough exam. Get a stool sample & urine sample tested. Loose stools could possibly have a medical cause & the longer they go untreated the greater the risk to her health. And the peeing outside the box could well be caused by a UTI - and the longer any "out of the box" issues go the harder they are to over-come.

lauraetco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone.
She has a vet appointment tomorrow morning and I'm bringing in some samples.