Total catastrophe - vibes and advice please

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lost Nutkin. Really lost. I took him tot he vet and when I came back the carrier fell onto the path and burst open and he legged it. I didn't even see which way he went but hwas like a bat out of hell down the field. I have laid litter trails and put food out and also put Bilbo and Ginger Tom in cages with the back door open so he can hear them and come to them.

He doesn't respond to his name yet and even still hides from me in the house, though he is docile as a lamb once I have him. So it is no good calling him.

And to make matters worse, Bonaparte has been fighting, and has really injured his leg. He can't put it down. I have soaked it in salt water and I will need to take him back tot he vet tonight. He has also been bitten on the neck and scratched on the eye. I have seen a large black cat around for two or three days, so that is the culprit. But he might eat anything I put down for Nutkin and drive him away. I am at my wits' end.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you have to endure this! Here is some vibes for Nutkin to come home safe and Bonaparte to heal quickly!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what a sad new my friend...
I´m really so sorry about it...

for come back soon Nutkin.....
With all my heart I wish he come back soon....
Take to bonaparte to the vet for his leg....

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be helpful to possibly contact the local shelters with a picture to be on the lookout for him.
Also maybe they could lend a "live trap" so that you might be able to catch him that way. I wish you all the luck and hope you can find him.
I also Hope Bonaparte feels better soon!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jenny, I pray that your little Nutkin comes home soon - safe and well, and that your Bonaparte is better soon!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry Jenny. I sure hope the big black cat doesn't harm Nutkin either. You sure have your hands full. All I can do is send vibes and hugs.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously - vibes for the safe return of Nutkin!

Now I have to ask, is that one of your foster kittens? The wild looking one or the orange tabby that GT likes? Or yet another one?

Boy I hope you can get him back into the house.

(Nutkin ... as in Beatrix Potter's Squirrel Nutkin?
)

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no

Are you able to set a trap for him? Or would you just get the other cats if you tried? Lots of vibes for that little sweetie to come home. I know he has been sick and you are doubly worried about him now

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put out live traps for Nutkin. Even if you catch the big black cat instead - it would be good since you could take him to a shelter if he doesn't have a home (and likely isn't neutered).

You need Epsom salt for soaking Bonaparte's leg and washing his wounds, a good antibiotic ointment will do wonders, too. I got some from a farm and livestock supply store that was meant for smaller animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, etc) that really heals up wounds quickly - it's stinky and yellow so cats don't like to lick it off. Even with the vet visit he'll still need wound care.
And probably needs to be under house arrest.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry Nutkins got away from you! I would be frantic, especially given the fact that the big black cat is hanging around. Will keep my fingers crossed that he turns up. Hope Bonaparte's leg heals quickly.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vibes for Nutkin to come home! It could be he was just freaked out about the vets and the carrier and just needs time to regroup. I would be worried about the black cat if it is a tom and highly agressive.

As for Bonaparte, my Little One had a leg injury (from fighting with a tom in our area) and wouldn't put any weight on it. We treated it at home (on vet's advice) by soaking it in epson salt water, then hydrogen perioxide and using anti biotics. One thing the vet did do at the beginning is give us a mild sedative to calm her down before we started treating her. That helped a lot. It saved her a lot of fighting and wasting energy.

But, keep an eye on him. If you are actually starting to squeez puss out of the wounds when you are putting on antibiotics or soaking it, get him to the vet. We waited too long, and he actually had to lance her wound and clean from the inside because the infection was so deep. He didn't realize it was that bad at first either because there was no real swelling or discharge when we first took her in. It was a $400 vet bill for that procedure.

Major vibes for both , and keep us up to date!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Would it be helpful to possibly contact the local shelters with a picture to be on the lookout for him.
Also maybe they could lend a "live trap" so that you might be able to catch him that way. I wish you all the luck and hope you can find him.
I also Hope Bonaparte feels better soon!
I was thinking the same thing. You may even trap the black cat which would be good if he has been fighting with Bonaparte and may be scarring away Nutkin.
for all of you, Jenny

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

As for Bonaparte, my Little One had a leg injury (from fighting with a tom in our area) and wouldn't put any weight on it. We treated it at home (on vet's advice) by soaking it in epson salt water, then hydrogen perioxide and using anti biotics.
It's been repeatedly said by many on this forum. No perioxide on puncture wounds - no matter what caused the puncture. You only risk pushing debris back into the wound. You're not supposed to pour anything over a puncture wound for the same reason.