Are you and "Emotional" eater?

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By this I mean do you pig out when you get good/bad news. Usually I try to eat well (when life is going all allright) but today I got bad news from one of my best friends concerning her husband, his cancer is back (he's a great guy), her son hurt his leg and their dog is sick! I can't do anything but listen to her. But afterwards I wanted to go to McDonalds and chow down on a BIG MAC meal or 2! I've noticed lately that when things get bad I head straight for the junk food. How about everyone else?
Also, can I get some prayers and vibes for my friend and her family, he goes for surgery next week.
Thanks

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emotional eater nope, stress eater yes! i will eat anything in sight

Since i cant go to Mc D or anything, i just stocked up on biscuits and chocolate it does make me real sick but i get pleasure out of eating it

Right now i have a whole pack of scotch bikkies and a boost chocolate bar!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I'm not an emotional eater. I do eat sometimes when I get bored though
I'll catch myself not really being hungry but just having a snack while I'm watching tv....so to stop that I try to turn off the tv & pc when I'm eating so I can focus on when I'm hungry or not

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I crave sugar when I am really, really stressed. Refined sugar is bad for me so I end up drinking a lot of juice and eating dried fruit for the concentrated sweetness. But three years ago my husband was in the hospital and I caved in and had a Tim Horton's iced cap each day. I saw a lot of doctors and nurses get those, too! Pure sugar and a little caffeine!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a totally emotional eater, and it's my downfall. I eat to cheer myself up when things are bad, and I eat to celebrate when things are good.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm a totally emotional eater, and it's my downfall. I eat to cheer myself up when things are bad, and I eat to celebrate when things are good.
This post reminds me of a professor talking about the alcohol industry. They said when people are depressed, they will drink. When people want to celebrate and are happy, they will drink. Either way, the alcoholic industry wins.

Personally, eating is a non issue with my moods, I don't even know. I am an emotional sleeper, strange I know. I sleep a lot more when down and think a good long nap can cure a bad mood!
And a good long nap can be comforting and happy too!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't tend to do that but what I do is if I am depressed about something I just don't care what I eat so I tend to eat more unhealthy foods. When I am stressed out I get nauseous and don't eat though.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, yes. definitely an emotional eater - anger and sadness especially. I really, really have to stop and take stock, take a deep breath, etc.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a bored eater...usually if I am emotional I actually don't eat alot at all. I end up losing weight if I am stressed out! (Which should prove handy before the wedding
)

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I was am emotionan NON-eater. Like when I'm stressed I wish I could say "I just can't eat!"
But alas, I eat everything I see. lol
My mom conditioned this in me by taking me to McDonald's or other such places after doctor/dentist appointments. Now I reward myself with food.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I wish I was am emotionan NON-eater. Like when I'm stressed I wish I could say "I just can't eat!"
But alas, I eat everything I see. lol
My mom conditioned this in me by taking me to McDonald's or other such places after doctor/dentist appointments. Now I reward myself with food.
Yes! That's how I got trained into this behavior, too! I grew up with the idea that food is an expression of love, food is a reward, food solves every problem.

Why food? Why couldn't it have been something useful, like housework or a three-mile jog?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Why food? Why couldn't it have been something useful, like housework or a three-mile jog?
They may be something in that! Isn't exercise meant to make you feel good? And if you give in later and go to McDonalds at least you'll have worked some of it off.

For me its Starbucks, you can tell how bad my day has been by the size of my drink.

I also usually have sugar-free syrups. If you see me with a large caramel latte with whipped cream i'm probably crying into it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm emotionally upset, I can't eat at all. If I'm emotionally happy, then I can eat anything and everything. Does that make any sense? I guess that makes me an emotional eater but on the other side of the spectrum.

Only difference is when I was taking care of my mom. The only time she would eat is if I would eat with her because she always hated eating alone. So, whether I was hungry or not, I would eat bite for bite with her. Hence the additional 30-40lbs I'm now stuck with. I will forever blame my mom and her love of pilsbury butter crousants at 12:30am! Good memories though.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I will eat when I'm stressed, and sometimes I can't...It all depends on the extent of what's going on.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, when I'm stressed, mad, angry, whatever- I get such a knot in my stomach that I can't eat!
Sometimes I eat out of boredom, but not too often

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I am a bored eater...usually if I am emotional I actually don't eat alot at all. I end up losing weight if I am stressed out! (Which should prove handy before the wedding
)
Ditto...I lose my appetite completely and just looking at food makes me ill.