Cat Peeing on the bed?

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a 6 cat household, and up until recently never had a problem. A few weeks ago my boyfriend noticed that there was a wet spot on his son's bed. So we stripped the bed, I cleaned the mattress as best I could and used an enzyme cleaner to get the smell out, and thought nothing of it. Fast forward to now and someone has peed on the bed at least another 6 times. I have no idea who it could be, and why on earth they decided to start peeing on his bed now. Our youngest kitten peed on our bed once when she was about 3 months old, but other than that we've never had to deal with this. I'm not sure if they're all doing it, or if its just one.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this sudden problem? We've got one 12yr old Persian female and a 9yr old male DLH that have been around since the little guy was born, and then there's 2 sister DMHs that are 2.5yrs, a DSH that's 2.5yrs and a DSH that's 1yr. They're all fixed except the youngest (she had complications to her vaccines and is schedualed to get fixed on the 25th) and all the younger ones have grown up with the kids. They're all indoor only. Litterboxes are clean.

So what on earth could I be missing? I need to figure this out before I loose my mind.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a medical issue with one of them. If one of your cats has a UTI, they often pee on soft places because they relate their pain to the litter box. Unfortunately in a multi-cat household, finding the cat with the problem can be tough. I lock them up 2 by 2 in a spare bedroom until I find the culprit thru process of elimination. When you find the offending cat, get them to a vet for a urinalysis. If that comes out clean, then you have a behavior problem. You have to rule out physical illness before you can start on the behavior.

In the mean time, purchase a plastic mattress cover and put it under the regular mattress cover on the bed. Sometimes enzymatic cleaners take multiple soakings to work, and mattresses are very hard to get fully clean. The plastic liner will protect the bed from additional urine, and put a mask on the smell.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

It could be a medical issue with one of them. If one of your cats has a UTI, they often pee on soft places because they relate their pain to the litter box. Unfortunately in a multi-cat household, finding the cat with the problem can be tough. I lock them up 2 by 2 in a spare bedroom until I find the culprit thru process of elimination. When you find the offending cat, get them to a vet for a urinalysis. If that comes out clean, then you have a behavior problem. You have to rule out physical illness before you can start on the behavior.

In the mean time, purchase a plastic mattress cover and put it under the regular mattress cover on the bed. Sometimes enzymatic cleaners take multiple soakings to work, and mattresses are very hard to get fully clean. The plastic liner will protect the bed from additional urine, and put a mask on the smell.
My thoughts exactly!! And they sometimes choose a child's bed because they are attached to the children, & it seems to give them comfort to be able to pee amongst the child's scent. Sending prayers and vibes that you find the answer & the problem is successfully stopped

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I also agree, my thoughts exactly!