Metacam - I have upset the shelter vet

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I took Nutkin (the little golden feral kitten) back to the shelter and to their vet as his mouth ulcer was not healing properly and he still had a fever after 8 days on Doxyval.

The vet, whom I had not seen before, gave him some more doxval and then produced a bottle of Metacam and told me to give him a daily dose to reduce the inflammation. When I said I didn't like Metacam for cats as there were side effects and possible kidney damage, he just looked at me and said 'Well, I like it very much' and refused any alternative. He also said it was safe for cats for up to a month of use. As I had the shelter director and general manager there with me, I couldn't really argue more. They were all looking at me as if I were too big for my boots.

I have checked the websites and they all say metacam should definitely not be used for cats under 10 pounds. This is a 3 month old kitten who is small anyway! I don't know what to do, apart from take him to my vet tomorrow, who knows I don't use Metacam and ask for a different anti-inflammatory. But that will cost me and I just feel so annoyed. I am printing out some stuff to take to the shelter next week so at least they will understand my concerns.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Today I took Nutkin (the little golden feral kitten) back to the shelter and to their vet as his mouth ulcer was not healing properly and he still had a fever after 8 days on Doxyval.

The vet, whom I had not seen before, gave him some more doxval and then produced a bottle of Metacam and told me to give him a daily dose to reduce the inflammation. When I said I didn't like Metacam for cats as there were side effects and possible kidney damage, he just looked at me and said 'Well, I like it very much' and refused any alternative. He also said it was safe for cats for up to a month of use. As I had the shelter director and general manager there with me, I couldn't really argue more. They were all looking at me as if I were too big for my boots.

I have checked the websites and they all say metacam should definitely not be used for cats under 10 pounds. This is a 3 month old kitten who is small anyway! I don't know what to do, apart from take him to my vet tomorrow, who knows I don't use Metacam and ask for a different anti-inflammatory. But that will cost me and I just feel so annoyed. I am printing out some stuff to take to the shelter next week so at least they will understand my concerns.
I think the one who had the boots that were too big was that vet. If I were you, I would not give the Metacam and would defintely take the printed material to your shelter so they too can become educated and informed. As for your vet, can you not call him and tell him your situation and perhaps he could just charge you for a prescription for something else?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always feel bad arguing with the shelter vet about stuff like that - he uses Metacam all the time & will not offer an alternative. It's possible that is what send Bea (a foster) into early stages of renal failure.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about speaking up in the best interest of this kitty, you did the right thing. Obviously this Vet has a bit of a "god complex" and cannot handle being questioned.

I don't know this kitty's history (I'm new here) but I'd be a bit concerned that after 8 days of the Doxy, the ulcer doesn't seem to be healing and there's still a fever. Makes you wonder if it's maybe something viral (antibiotics won't work on viruses) or it's just not the right antibiotic?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what other anti-inflammatories you could get your own Vet to prescribe, I don't think there are a lot of options. I've run into this personally because one of my kitties has a vaccine associated sarcoma and these types of tumors are driven by inflammation and vet oncologists recommend that the cat be put onto an anti-inflammatory as soon as possible, either Piroxicam (which is hard on kidneys) or Prednisone. I'd researched other ones and couldn't really find anything else so had to opt for a low dose of Pred for my cat.

I'm wondering if the key here is a different treatment to get the ulcer to heal, therefore once it begins to heal, pain shouldn't be an issue.

I know in cats w/ CRF, they often develop painful mouth ulcers, and people will often use Slippery Elm Bark powder, made into a kind of syrup, and squirt it into the mouth....helps to heal and soothe. Scroll down to where it says "syrup recipe" to read how to mix it up and how it's used for mouth ulcers:

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB

The only thing with SEB is that it coats the GI tract/stomach and should not be given at the same time as other meds as it can reduce their absorption -- so if you choose to use it, even though you wouldn't be using very much, apply it to the mouth/ulcer a couple of hours before or after any oral meds.

I see you're in France so not sure how accessible it is there but in North America it's easy to buy, whether in capsules or bulk powder, at most health food stores, pretty inexpensive.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont use it.
My Coco has kidney failure now and she got the shot not the pills.
My Vet said the shot is ok for one time use but never use metacam pills in cats.
Coco has a pain med that I can not spell buperprex or something like that.
My old vet tried to give my sister metacam and she said no so they gave another med.
That person sounds like a jerk.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the shelter vet to provide a study that indicates Metacam's safety for up to a month of use. Be genuinely curious and non-confrontational about it. If they ask, explain that what the vet said contradicts all of the data you have read.

I agree that Metacam is powerful stuff and should not be used unless absolutely necessary, such as in terminal cases. Metacam oral is not approved for use in cats in the United States and its use is off-label. Metacam injectable is approved for a single, subcutaneous injection prior to surgery. That's the information on the manufacturer's website.

There are not many pain medicines that can be safely used in cats at all. My Odo is on Tramadol for arthritis pain--you may want to discuss whether that is an option with your normal vet. Buprenex is another possibility While it may be a challenge with a squirmy kitten, you might consider non-medical treatments, like a cold compress/rag applied to the inflammed area to reduce the inflammation.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They use Metacam here as a fever reducing med, which is what it was prescribed for in his case. I think it would be hard putting a cold compress under his tongue!! He still has a fever of 39.2 this morning and is very lethargic, despite the injections he was given yesterday. He doesn't want to eat solids but lapped up an egg yolk beaten in warm water. So I shall take him in to my vet at lunchtime. Mina will come too to get her spay stitches out.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing by educating yourself and standing up for kitty. They rely on us to make the best choices for them as they can't. One of the vets at my the clinic I use gave me Metacam. I asked if there were any side effects and he looked me in the eye and said no. As I always do I researched it before using, I am glad I did! I have never forgiven him ,he lied to me and she did not get any of it. There is just too much evidence of problems with this med in cats. You should try to educate them but don't be surprised if they don't agree. Even when I confronted my regular vet, whom I trust, she told me they haven't had any trouble and use it. Great, but not on my cats!!