TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › I don't know if I can tell you all this......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I don't know if I can tell you all this......

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
This is one of the hardiest things I have ever had to type here @ thecatsite, so please bare with me. Most of you know I have been feeding
a colony of ferals right at a yr. now. With only one bake sale, and a whole other host of problems from the people in the area, of where they reside I haven't been able to perform the TNR on them like I thought, for I am just a one person show, up against a bunch of narrow minded, old fashion, set in some ignorant ways people! Did I mention I hate people?
OK here it goes and I won't be able to elaborate because I am so upset,
I have been knowing since Sunday about this, and I just now have some
strengh to tell you all about this..which is so not like me... I would have come here first with any and all of my heartaches like I have everytime! and I want to say THANK YOU FOR ALWAYS BEING THERE FOR ME THROUGH IT ALL!
Now I know it is going to be hard for even any replies, so I totally understand
if you don't know what to say! I need a miracle and I don't know where to get one..

Someone has called the animal control on my ferals! I said it and now I have to go!
Monique
post #2 of 14
Ah. You could perhaps you too contact the animal control you too. Try to meet them for a talk. And tell YOUR version. Ie you are working with these cats, your plans etc. Tell them you have support from our forum (and other supporters you do have). Ie, convice them the situation is difficult but in no means hopeless, as long as they let you proceed - and perhaps help you. Tell them again about ideas and experiences behind TNR and the positive experiences a lot of places had, INCLUDING lesser strain on the people in neighborhood.
Hint perhaps something on the biblical tale about the good shepherd and the lost sheep...
You are also open for and welcoming constructive suggestions.
Who knows, they may even help you??
I suppose their job is to solve the problem as such, not necessary to kill off so many homeless cats as possible...

I believe it may be easier to talk with even them in animal control, then with a bunch of angry people who already have decided their standing.


My hugs and my vibes are with you!
post #3 of 14
Yes give them a call, what I heard is that if they know you are trying to take care of it they wont bother, because your doing them a favor. It never hurts to ask.

How sure are you they were called?
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
the owner of the business which were they live behind, told me, he said that they are using the bathroom everywhere, in which they have been, they are getting run over by the diesals. and there are too many of them! I agreed, but with all the trouble I have had and the people so disinterested, and no one see if I needed help, with donations, these people have enough money they could of had the first few spay and neutered, or gave some $ for the cause, I ordered material for educating people around from alleycatallies, passed it out and no response! so they really made me feel like i couldn't ask for a donation, or help or just even hold a meeting of sorts to fill them in on what tnr is and educate them! same with the people up at the airport, they are all so angry! and WHY? why does it make them angry, for me to feed these cats! I don't understand! I have a friend that works for my vet, and that is where animal control brings the animals, most are adopted through a program which my vet offers! but ferals, well we know, they all know they are my cats, i even took a pic of my favorite one, whom I want, so if anything they will spare her life! If they would have been a tiny been more open minded to me and just listened to what I was doing, I would of gladly
explained! I did call him the next day and asked if he would give me a week, and I would work with animal control, he said he would! I have been trying to get in touch with alley cat allies and can't! I need major help right now and I am the only one that knows anything about the tnr program around here and believe me I can't take this on all by myself, it's like nobody want to hear about it, they just listen for a little bit and then become disinterested so I can't totally explain it! I can't explain all of it to each individual person although I have. anyway I am getting all worked up again and I'll be back in a little bit to finish.
thanks
Monique
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashcats View Post
the owner of the business which were they live behind, told me, he said that they are using the bathroom everywhere, in which they have been, they are getting run over by the diesals. and there are too many of them! I agreed, but with all the trouble I have had and the people so disinterested, and no one see if I needed help, with donations, these people have enough money they could of had the first few spay and neutered, or gave some $ for the cause, I ordered material for educating people around from alleycatallies, passed it out and no response! so they really made me feel like i couldn't ask for a donation, or help or just even hold a meeting of sorts to fill them in on what tnr is and educate them! same with the people up at the airport, they are all so angry! and WHY? why does it make them angry, for me to feed these cats! I don't understand! I have a friend that works for my vet, and that is where animal control brings the animals, most are adopted through a program which my vet offers! but ferals, well we know, they all know they are my cats, i even took a pic of my favorite one, whom I want, so if anything they will spare her life! If they would have been a tiny been more open minded to me and just listened to what I was doing, I would of gladly
explained! I did call him the next day and asked if he would give me a week, and I would work with animal control, he said he would! I have been trying to get in touch with alley cat allies and can't! I need major help right now and I am the only one that knows anything about the tnr program around here and believe me I can't take this on all by myself, it's like nobody want to hear about it, they just listen for a little bit and then become disinterested so I can't totally explain it! I can't explain all of it to each individual person although I have. anyway I am getting all worked up again and I'll be back in a little bit to finish.
thanks
Monique
I do know what your going through!I started off doing tnr all by myself!! ( even paying regular price out of pocket for the spay/neuters and all that) I too attempted to get volunteers and donations!with no success!!It took me a while but I finally found a clinic to do the tnr for me for 25 bucks each ( and that includes meds,office visit and spay/neuter).I could not get anyone to lend me treaps,but finally found a place to buy them....still working on getting donations!I wish you luck!luckily I live in a very rural area and the only people that complain are the few neighbors I have ( but what can they do? the cats are all on my property and for the most part don't stray too far!)I am in the process now of opening a shelter ( I am also going to school to be a vet tech)get in touch with as many people as you can!get a petition signed!call the local news channel!again....good luck
post #6 of 14
Oh Monique!

Monique, it's not clear to me if you've talked to the animal control officer, but there ARE good ones out there.

Do you know of ANYWHERE the animals could be relocated?

Is there ANY hope of talking to animal control about relocating them? Any way - if you do the trapping and relocating - that they'd foot the bill for spaying and neutering????

And I'd also send a message to animalhelp@bestfriends.org and see if that can't help stir anything up!



Laurie
post #7 of 14
Oh-my-gosh, Monique, I sure hope this all works out for you and your ferals.

Holy-moly, what is wrong with people?
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post
Oh Monique!

Monique, it's not clear to me if you've talked to the animal control officer, but there ARE good ones out there.

Do you know of ANYWHERE the animals could be relocated?

Is there ANY hope of talking to animal control about relocating them? Any way - if you do the trapping and relocating - that they'd foot the bill for spaying and neutering????

And I'd also send a message to animalhelp@bestfriends.org and see if that can't help stir anything up

Laurie
I tried calling him and he never returned my call but I have other connections, plus the guy probably told him to back off for a week! I just emailed animal help, best friends thanks for that link!!! I'm scared, I'm scared for the poor cats, and I'm scared of my hurt that is lingering!!! I'm so sad, I can't even do anything productive. I feel so alone right now! thanks Laurie


Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
Oh-my-gosh, Monique, I sure hope this all works out for you and your ferals.

Holy-moly, what is wrong with people?
Did I tell you "I HATE PEOPLE".......
and I am not a hater! I don't see how this is going to work in my favor, cause I am so devastated that I can't even function, and I know I need to be doing something but what? and who? and how? I need direction, and then I need help!!! I pray for God to send someone here to help me and change this area for ever!! I need someone that knows what I know that is not so emotionally
attached that can talk and make things happen! please pray for my babies, and that person, or organization to come help me!!!thanks
Monique
post #9 of 14
I too wonder bout the possibility of relocating the colony. I know that is not easy but if the owner of that company and an uncooperative animal control officer give you grief, that may be the best solution. Of course, it is extreme,ly stressful for the kitties but if there is a place available and you have people who can help you?

Are there other animal rescues in the area? Ones who do not dislike ferals I mean!!!!

Good luck - I am so sorry this has happened!
post #10 of 14
My Animal Control officer is a feral's best friend! She has an arrangement with a local vet for inexpensive spays. She lends traps to the caretakers, we trap and call her. She comes out, picks up the cat and brings it in for spaying. Once the cat is spayed, it stays in her basement for a few days.

If it is friendly and able to be socialized, she works with the cat and gets it adopted. If not, she returns the cat to the caretaker. I've given her about 5 kittens that she has socialized and adopted out!

Until I was able to sit down and talk with Carmen about ferals, she was very difficult to get in touch with and uncooperative. Now that we know we are on the same side, its a different story.
post #11 of 14
Iam so so so so sorry!

You mentioned, at the very least, getting your fav feral back... did Animal Control say anything yet?

Is there ANYWHERE that they could be relocated? If so borrow traps (AC if no where else) stop feeding (or feed very lightly-dry only) and do that.

Search for local animal sanctuaries.... google, phone book, whatever and tell them your situation and ask for help. If they can't help-ask them for the # of other sanctuaries...

Hugs & Vibes!

post #12 of 14
Hi Monique - You don't say what part of Texas you live in. Here is a link to some feral rescues in Texas. Maybe someone can help. I wish I were closer.

http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.c...&keyword=feral

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/afcat
post #13 of 14
I really hope this all works out for you!People suck! I will keep you and your ferals in my thoughts and prayers!Good luck
post #14 of 14
Monique - is there any update?

((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

Laurie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › I don't know if I can tell you all this......