Eloping and Marriages and such

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured you guys could possibly help with my question. My bf and I have talked about this topic on many occasions and we know that we honestly can't stand weddings, we can't stand the whole dressing up, going to a church, having a pastor marry us and all that. But everyone knows the wedding receptions are usually quite fun. We want to rent out the Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland here and have a big reception there. But if we are eloping elsewhere, is it inappropriate to have the reception still? We don't even need to call it a reception, just a party to celebrate the whole shebang. How would we word the invitations? Should we say a reception? I am sure someone on this board has eloped, did you have a party or reception afterwards still?

What do you guys think? Thanks so much!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my brother & his 2nd wife got married [& honeymooned] in Tahoe, then we held a reception for them here after they returned. i don't think there's anything wrong with that!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could say something like this on the invitation:

"The newly married Mr. & Mrs <last name>, invite you to a party in celebration of their marriage."

Then add the date, time and location.

You can also indicate if you are expecting gifts or presentation. If you are not wanting either, then state "no gifts or presentation" at the bottom.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a couple who recently got married, basically eloped since there were all of 12 people in attendance, just very close friends and family. She wore a dress she already had, he wore a suit he already had, so it wasn't like a dress-up-"real"-wedding type of thing. Of course, they have a different reason...he's going to be deployed to the Middle East in January. Anywhoo, they are having the big Reception/Celebration after he gets back from Iraq (presumably Iraq, that's the orders for now) in 2010.

You can DEFINITELY do it that way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh really? I am so glad. I know nothing about marriage and weddings and how things are "supposed" to be and all that. I don't know how to even do invitations to just a reception. Would I just announce that we eloped and then invite everyone to celebrate? Simple as that I assume right? I am clueless lol.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

oh really? I am so glad. I know nothing about marriage and weddings and how things are "supposed" to be and all that. I don't know how to even do invitations to just a reception. Would I just announce that we eloped and then invite everyone to celebrate? Simple as that I assume right? I am clueless lol.
I posted a suggestion above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I posted a suggestion above.
oops sorry I hit reply and left the computer so when I finally came back and replied you already had answered that question! Thank you that is a great suggestion though! I thought about just keeping it simple and saying "We eloped! Come party with us to celebrate!" lol. I don't know though, I will have to think about this all.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that these are more traditional wedding websites, but I found sooo much good advice on them when I was planning my wedding a while back! The people on the forums are very kind for the most part too, and VERY helpful with suggestions! The have entire topics devoted to invitation etiquite (for every possible scenario, including yours!) and suggestions on eloping/etc.
It should really help you!! Congrats hon!

www.theknot.com
www.marthastewart.com (the wedding section of her website)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's perfectly appropriate to elope and then later have a reception for family and friends. I've never known anyone who eloped who didn't do that; it is a very nice way to share in the celebration with those close to you.

Everyone knows that the reception is the best part, anyway, lol!

spatulahandle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have helped out with a few weddings and designed invitations too. I got married at my dad's bedside, in a nursing home just a day and a half before he died. We had a wedding reception two weeks later and it was very nice. On the invitation I announced our marriage, wedding date and then invited people to the reception. It doesn't matter where or how you do it as long as you two are happy with it. As far as wording the invitations, you could put...
(His name)
and
(your name)
were united in marriage
on
(date)
We request your presence at a reception to celebrate our marriage
On
(date)
At
(time)
(place of reception)
Hope this helps you! Best wishes!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what my hubby and I did. His band was touring Florida and Georgia. I went to visit for New Years. We got married, then when he came home in February we rented a party room and had a party for our friends. In fact it turned out to be a pot-luck - all my friends made and brought the food. My MIL made a "wedding cake" for us. It was great!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, it's fine to only invite people to the reception. I recently attending a wedding where nobody (except immediate family) was invited to the actual marriage ceremony. The couple had written their own vows which were deeply personal, and they just didn't feel comfortable sharing them with 100 or so guests. They did invite guests into the church for some additional readings. Then, they had a big reception right afterwards.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We eloped in Vegas, and didn't tell anyone until afterwards. Our families threw a reception when we visited (we were living in Southern California at the time). They had a nice get together in a local restaurant. It wasn't real formal or anything though.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spatulahandle

I have helped out with a few weddings and designed invitations too. I got married at my dad's bedside, in a nursing home just a day and a half before he died. We had a wedding reception two weeks later and it was very nice. On the invitation I announced our marriage, wedding date and then invited people to the reception. It doesn't matter where or how you do it as long as you two are happy with it. As far as wording the invitations, you could put...
(His name)
and
(your name)
were united in marriage
on
(date)
We request your presence at a reception to celebrate our marriage
On
(date)
At
(time)
(place of reception)
Hope this helps you! Best wishes!
That about says it all. DH and I got married at my Uncle and Aunt's house and only my Mom, my brother, DH's mother and father and aunt and uncle were there. My cousins were busy at their restaurant where we had our reception. Our invitations indicated that the ceremony would be private but said where the reception would be.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I figured you guys could possibly help with my question. My bf and I have talked about this topic on many occasions and we know that we honestly can't stand weddings, we can't stand the whole dressing up, going to a church, having a pastor marry us and all that. But everyone knows the wedding receptions are usually quite fun. We want to rent out the Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland here and have a big reception there. But if we are eloping elsewhere, is it inappropriate to have the reception still? We don't even need to call it a reception, just a party to celebrate the whole shebang. How would we word the invitations? Should we say a reception? I am sure someone on this board has eloped, did you have a party or reception afterwards still?

What do you guys think? Thanks so much!
That's exactly how we felt. We weren't sure about having a reception but the family kept asking about one. His father offered to pay for the reception, we just had a budget to stay in. Have you inquired with your family.

We didn't have a wedding shower though. We felt that wasn't appropriate and most of the family agreed.

Good Luck

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Your wedding is your wedding.

I got married with 15 people in attendance, and then went to work the next day. My brother spent 150k, and had 650 people attend, and took a month long honey moon. Both were right. We are very different people.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I had a daughter, I'd tell her, "Here's $5,000. Go elope in Hawaii."

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its actually not a such a tradition to get married in church anymore.

If i were to get married in Europe, id definitely do it in a church, the architecture and feeling of the place is just magical. And it adds just a good touch to a wedding

Newer churches don't interest me, in fact there are many churches here in Australia that are bland with just a cross on it, there is no magical feeling to it or religious. blerg!

We are having a celebrant, she is marrying us along the Great Ocean road, our wedding date is the 20th of December, it is sort of an elopement just his parents and siblings are there, with 3 - 4 close friends.
Ceremony should not last more than 30 minutes.
So finally I am having my beach wedding, my dress isnt traditional, its white with blue leaves in a 60s style that only costed me 10 bucks. I am making my own wedding fascinator so I am keeping things at minimum costs.

She is then remarrying us next year, just redoing our vows and we are having a big party at a reception because then my whole family and friends from Europe will be there.

So In reality this is your wedding, you can get married where ever you like and it does not have to be a priest, if you want you can even get married in a court house, registry office, in a swimmingpool, on a mountain, ect ect.

Have fun Planning!!