Limping kitty...

ihatespngbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor Dillon has been limping all day and holding her paw in the air. She will not walk on it and hops on 3 legs. It is painful to touch and looks a little swollen. I checked it and do not see any open areas, hurt nails, or splinters. She has been sneaking outside, but is not an outdoor cat. She was fine when we got her in last night she was fine, but around 5 a.m. started limping. I called a vet in the area and they want $200 for a visit and x-ray. I do not have $200 right now. They will not set up a payment plan. How long can I wait for something like this? I am thinking it could be a sprain. I am hoping it is not broken.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd call some other vets for quotes to see if you can find a more affordable one.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your and Dillon are facing this.

I'm also sorry to say but please, find a way to have her seen by the Vet, as soon as possible. Cats are notorious for hiding their pain so when we actually "do" see them showing signs of it, they're really in a LOT of pain. This isn't something that you can 'wait and see' on.

Is there anyway you could borrow the money from a family member, or give them a post-dated cheque for part of the amount you'd have to pay (eg: $100)?

If nothing else, I'd still take her to the Vet. It's possible the vet won't need to do an xray, after doing an examination...and then right there and then the bill won't be so much. It's possible he can feel the leg and confirm it's not a fracture but something else, instead.......so don't think an xray is what he'll automatically suggest. They probably told you this on the phone but the phone/reception staff can't really tell you for sure anyway, they can generally only give you a rough idea of what testing might be required.

In the meantime, please do NOT let her outside, be super careful she doesn't get out. You surely don't want an injured kitty roaming around outside; you want to have her close so that if her condition changes, you're there to see it and act accordingly.

Originally Posted by ihatespngbob

My poor Dillon has been limping all day and holding her paw in the air. She will not walk on it and hops on 3 legs. It is painful to touch and looks a little swollen. I checked it and do not see any open areas, hurt nails, or splinters. She has been sneaking outside, but is not an outdoor cat. She was fine when we got her in last night she was fine, but around 5 a.m. started limping. I called a vet in the area and they want $200 for a visit and x-ray. I do not have $200 right now. They will not set up a payment plan. How long can I wait for something like this? I am thinking it could be a sprain. I am hoping it is not broken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ihatespngbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

I'm sorry your and Dillon are facing this.

I'm also sorry to say but please, find a way to have her seen by the Vet, as soon as possible. Cats are notorious for hiding their pain so when we actually "do" see them showing signs of it, they're really in a LOT of pain. This isn't something that you can 'wait and see' on.

Is there anyway you could borrow the money from a family member, or give them a post-dated cheque for part of the amount you'd have to pay (eg: $100)?

If nothing else, I'd still take her to the Vet. It's possible the vet won't need to do an xray, after doing an examination...and then right there and then the bill won't be so much. It's possible he can feel the leg and confirm it's not a fracture but something else, instead.......so don't think an xray is what he'll automatically suggest. They probably told you this on the phone but the phone/reception staff can't really tell you for sure anyway, they can generally only give you a rough idea of what testing might be required.

In the meantime, please do NOT let her outside, be super careful she doesn't get out. You surely don't want an injured kitty roaming around outside; you want to have her close so that if her condition changes, you're there to see it and act accordingly.
I am going to give her until tomorrow early afternoon. She was never allowed outside to begin with, but would run out every time the door opened. She has not been out since the boo boo paw. If she is not better by then I will have to figure out a way to take her. I just shelled out a bunch of $ for sick kids doctor visits! It has all hit at once.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a great link, thanks for sharing it. Dillon's Mom, might be something to look into? Upon a quick look at the site, it appears they offer credit with "no interest" if you pay within 3-18 months, that appears to be awesome!

Originally Posted by sharky

try here ...

www.carecredit.com

they offer low to no interest plans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ihatespngbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Wow, that's a great link, thanks for sharing it. Dillon's Mom, might be something to look into? Upon a quick look at the site, it appears they offer credit with "no interest" if you pay within 3-18 months, that appears to be awesome!
I already discussed that with a couple of vets and it is not an option for me!!! I will just pray that it gets better tonight. If not, I don't know how, but will figure out a way to get her checked. I have no clue what she may have done to it! I feel so bad for her!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Carecredit and I don't know what I'd do without it. Especially with my boy Patch who had a PU operation and two months later surgery to remove a stone.